E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #21
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom87 View Post
So I have 2" in and out I believe? How about these?
http://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-...oval/products/

Or something here? http://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-...dual/products/

( I guess I would need a y pipe before these?)

I don't think I necessarily want a "deep throaty" sound. I want something that gets louder above 4000 rpm and that I can hear with the windows down.
Your first link doesn't direct me to an actual exact part number. Your second link takes me to mufflers that All have a Single inlet which I'd advise against.

Maybe consider the Magnaflow:

1) 11378, 2.25" In/Out, 11" body length makes is muffler potentially louder.

2) 11385, 2.25" In/Out, 14" body length makes is muffler potentially quieter. (Not Much)

I'm choosing these because of the relatively easy to deal with 2.25" dual inlets.

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-04-29 at 5.06.21 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	630741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-04-29 at 5.03.10 PM.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	630742  

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
Tom87

My Ride: e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Your first link doesn't direct me to an actual exact part number. Your second link takes me to mufflers that All have a Single inlet which I'd advise against.

Maybe consider the Magnaflow:

1) 11378, 2.25" In/Out, 11" body length makes is muffler potentially louder.

2) 11385, 2.25" In/Out, 14" body length makes is muffler potentially quieter. (Not Much)

I'm choosing these because of the relatively easy to deal with 2.25" dual inlets.

Rob43

Ok thanks! My reading has landed me on the 11378 as well. I considered putting the stock muffler back in and just eating the money, but I realized there is actually a large rust hole in it. So I may as well replace it. My exhaust guy said that I have to make sure the muffler is short enough that it fits in the location before the pipe starts to bend back towards the back resonator. Otherwise he would have to refab that section. So it looks like the shorter one is the best bet.
Tom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #23
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
You want MOAR "GRRRRR"? You've bought the wrong car. Stay BMW. Stay classy.

If you must, delete butterfly on stock or get ZHP. Anything else is barnyardy, meatheady, or euro-trashy. The stuff that comes out of the Mercedes, BMW, Volvo factories are robust.
I agree, and I have learned my lesson. I very much appreciate the class of a BMW (which is why I keep a stock look, and don't do any silly suspension mods that are all look and no performance). However I do want the exhaust to be a bit louder, as I need to be able to hear my engine clearly for the track. With the windows down, it is impossible to hear. ( I prefer tracking with windows down to hear tire noises and nearby cars. )
Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #24
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
I agree, and I have learned my lesson. I very much appreciate the class of a BMW (which is why I keep a stock look, and don't do any silly suspension mods that are all look and no performance). However I do want the exhaust to be a bit louder, as I need to be able to hear my engine clearly for the track. With the windows down, it is impossible to hear. ( I prefer tracking with windows down to hear tire noises and nearby cars. )
I find anything aftermarket is usually not only too loud, but lightweight, thinned walled, and has a reflective finish. All cheap characteristics to me. I wouldn't want it rusting out, especially in canada. means i'll be jerking off my exhaust every two years. another thing to add to the list. But up to you.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #25
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!11
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #26
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Would you recommend deleting the secondary cats to go with the Eisenmann Race and removed rear resonator? Hope it will make it sound more raspy with stock headers.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #27
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
Would you recommend deleting the secondary cats to go with the Eisenmann Race and removed rear resonator? Hope it will make it sound more raspy with stock headers.
I think you guys in the UK have a different set up no? The only cats in my system are in the headers. If install headers the cats are gone and need to be installed (aftermarket) down line.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #28
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
I think you guys in the UK have a different set up no? The only cats in my system are in the headers. If install headers the cats are gone and need to be installed (aftermarket) down line.

We have secondary cats where you have your front resonator. I could keep them and get a stepped RHD Supersprint manifold, but it costs 1900 + VAT! So I will keep the OEM manifold. Has anyone deleted both resonators with the Eisenmann Race muffler?
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #29
Rogue Pyro

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
The primary people defending it are 16 year olds, sure says something.
Can confirm. Deleted my muffler when I was 17. When I turned 20 I realized how annoying it is and put a real exhaust system on.
Rogue Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #30
SkiDooSnipe

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330xi
My muffler delete is just a placeholder for grabbing a Magnaflow muffler. My stock can was leaking extremely badly at the top and at certain speeds I definitely would get a whiff of exhaust if I didn't have the windows down.
SkiDooSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
when I got my BMW and started seeing 'muffler delete' threads, my first thought was "why?"
so I can't figure out why someone would want to make a refined touring sedan sound like a sh!tb0x.
Well said. Exactly my feelings on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
You want MOAR "GRRRRR"? You've bought the wrong car. Stay BMW. Stay classy.

If you must, delete butterfly on stock or get ZHP. Anything else is barnyardy, meatheady, or euro-trashy.
I can without a doubt recommend the zhp muffler. It's music to my ears. It speaks "refined power" is how I'd characterize it.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #32
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
I can without a doubt recommend the zhp muffler. It's music to my ears. It speaks "refined power" is how I'd characterize it.
+1. My favorite non-M E46 exhaust. Love the sound in a parking garage.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #33
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I don't think it's quite the same as the ZHP but I have the BMW Performance muffler and I LOVE it!
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #34
Tom87

Wanna give a huge shout out dbarton62 who came to my rescue who sold me the custom exhaust system off his crazy supercharged Z. Got the muffler I was looking for as well as the rest of the exhaust system including high flow cats for a great price. Going to install the magnaflow muffler this week and save the cats until I can get some headers. Ill try and post a clip.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #35
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Yep. It also sounds like this: **brraap Im seventeen even though my drivers license claims I'm 28 braaaapp***:
this post here was my favorite.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #36
dbarton62

My Ride: 04Z4R VF 12PSI
Quote:
Wanna give a huge shout out dbarton62 who came to my rescue who sold me the custom exhaust system off his crazy supercharged Z. Got the muffler I was looking for as well as the rest of the exhaust system including high flow cats for a great price. Going to install the magnaflow muffler this week and save the cats until I can get some headers. Ill try and post a clip.
Sound clips are necessary.
04Z4R 3.0 6 speed VF supercharged,Tial BPV,Ceramic coated Bimmerbrakes header, megan motor&trans mounts,42 design catch can, custom intake ducting,2.62 blower pulley,pre and post S/C WMI,CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.64LSD, H&R anti roll bars, adjustable Hotchkis end links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows. Carbon dipped interior.
dbarton62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #37
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Pyro View Post
Can confirm. Deleted my muffler when I was 17. When I turned 20 I realized how annoying it is and put a real exhaust system on.
I think most of us have done annoying exhaust mods when we were teens. 18-25 is prime "look how big my d1ck is "years. You don't realize it at the time though.
Then as you get older it goes from look what my toys can do to look what toys i can afford.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #38
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
To play devil's advocate, I'm running a muffler delete and love it. Granted there is some other stuff going on that changes the tonality but it gives it a solid bark.. and I love the downshift gurgles.

| 435 HP 328Ci | RRT Racing | Designer Wraps | Active Autowerke | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 05-02-2016 at 10:25 AM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #39
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
To play devil's advocate, I'm running a muffler delete and love it. Granted there is some other stuff going on that changes the tonality but it gives it a solid bark.. and I love the downshift gurgles.

Yea thats a bit loud for me. I'm kind of looking for a more refined sound. It sounds crazy though!

Also That brown wrap in that pic has got to be one of the nicest looking colours Ive seen.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #40
Tom87

Ok, got the magnaflow muffler in. Sounds good, much quieter, no drone. The sound of the exhaust is subtle now, and it compliments the engine noise nicely. Will try and post a video in the next day or so.

Tags
delete, drone, exhaust, muffler