E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
vseager

My Ride: 325i Touring
Window regulator fix - window now out of line

Hi all,

I'm a new e46 owner and this is my first post on the forum - probably of many, so hello and thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Today I started tackling the first of many jobs. Starting with a new MAF which took all of 5 minutes and what seemed an extremely overpriced part. And I then went on to fix my slow electric window.

I followed elbee's DIY thread and zip tied the cable into the broken clip, all of which seemed fairly straight forward. Before I started fixing the problem, you could pull the rear end of the window up and down (it was the rear clip that had broken on the regulator) but it was pretty much straight when in it's 'default' position (ie not being played around with), it was just a bit slow on the way up.

Now that the cable is sitting properly in the regulator the window moves up and down effortlessly, but the window is not aligned correctly and sits a lot higher at the rear and than the front. I read on another DIY thread on 'impree.co.uk' that it should realign itself but this hasn't happened for me.

Can anybody offer any advice on this?

I also found this in the bottom of the door which I have no idea where it's supposed to be attach but understand from the part no that it is a 'Bowden cable':

Last edited by vseager; 05-07-2016 at 05:18 PM.
vseager is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
Check the rail on the left side if it's okay track

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
See if the sedans have forward and back tilt. If it's like the coupes and convertible's then it's under the front and back bottom of the door covered with a rubber plug. Obviously the window has to be lowered close to, but not at the bottom to reach the adjuster.

Again this is on the coupes/convertibles. I don't know if the sedans are fixed.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
vseager

Thanks for the advice, the rail on the left (front) side all looked okay and the metal peg on the cable was sitting properly in the regulator.

Is the tilt adjustment accessed from inside the door or from the outside under the plastic trim / rubbing strip?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by vseager View Post
Thanks for the advice, the rail on the left (front) side all looked okay and the metal peg on the cable was sitting properly in the regulator.

Is the tilt adjustment accessed from inside the door or from the outside under the plastic trim / rubbing strip?
Just look under the door. If it's there you will immediately recognize it.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
hatetolovee46

My Ride: 02 325xi
I have a similiar problem. My driver side window rolls up slowly through the middle point of its motion and it can be wiggled towards hood/trunk a bit on its way up. Not enough for it to leave the rubber trim and become unsealed though and has always rolled up albeit slowly in the middle so have not prioritized fixing it yet. Subbing to this in case it helps when i go to do it.
hatetolovee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
I had this issue but caught it before I put everything back together. I'm guessing the glass isn't all the way in the regulator on one side. Open it back up and readjust everything.

2003 325xi Jet Black/Brown Leather
2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring Jet Black Mica/Black Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
a list of parts to replace on these is easy; just replace everything.
venerated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
vseager

I had another look at this today, the glass was properly secured in the regulator and although I have the rubber plug on the bottom of the door there is no tilt adjustment (touring model).

I took the whole regulator mechanism out of the door and played around with it. When one side of the regulator is all the way up the rail, the other still has about 2cm to go, but because it all works off the same cable it won't go any further (you can force it but it immediately springs back down).

The unit where the cable ends is meet which attaches to the motor is sealed and there is no adjustment on it so I figured if I want to fix it I'll need a new regulator.

OEM regulator is about 200 or 90 for an aftermarket one from GSF. I ended up buying one from eBay for 20. I'm normally strict about using genuine or better parts but I've spent a lot on the car after only a few weeks of ownership and the eBay one comes with a 2 year warranty so thought I'd take the chance. Will fit them later in the week once they arrive.

Tags
regulator, window, window problem