E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Two wheel fender liners in 3 days: how to secure?

Title says it all. I'm furious!! I bought a used wheel fender on here for my Ci (missing on ownership) and that one and my original both crumpled off in a period of three days! In the same freeway ramp exit. I'm more pissed about the price of the bolts I'll be paying. What am I doing wrong? They lived a year on the car without falling, and now they do! Should I be buying new? The used one I grabbed was in perfect condition (aside from dirt), but shipping those gets expensive. Any alternative ways of securing these?

I'm wondering if it's those little mud flap things. I don't rub on this exit, and ON STOCK SUSPENSION!!

I feel if this was a common issue, I would have heard of it by now. I'm so upset that after I try cutting mud flaps or other suggestions, I'm all but ready to pay the dealer so the service is warrantied!

Edit: For those who say leave without it, I went without the right one since I bought it. Rain got in there and drowned the horn. Between the horn and fender linger, I'm already out $50 on the stupidest issue. Luckily for me it's summer, but I want this fixed.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 06-15-2016 at 10:24 AM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Uh, not trying to be a smart-alek, but what's a wheel fender?

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Part #11?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_1098
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Title says it all. I'm furious!! I bought a used wheel fender on here for my Ci (missing on ownership) and that one and my original both crumpled off in a period of three days! In the same freeway ramp exit. I'm more pissed about the price of the bolts I'll be paying. What am I doing wrong? They lived a year on the car without falling, and now they do! Should I be buying new? The used one I grabbed was in perfect condition (aside from dirt), but shipping those gets expensive. Any alternative ways of securing these?

I'm wondering if it's those little mud flap things. I don't rub on this exit, and ON STOCK SUSPENSION!!

I feel if this was a common issue, I would have heard of it by now. I'm so upset that after I try cutting mud flaps or other suggestions, I'm all but ready to pay the dealer so the service is warrantied!

Edit: For those who say leave without it, I went without the right one since I bought it. Rain got in there and drowned the horn. Between the horn and fender linger, I'm already out $50 on the stupidest issue. Luckily for me it's summer, but I want this fixed.
Did you also install the brake duct?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I call that a fender liner.

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
leshrak

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Sounds like you need a different exit off the freeway or to go slower... I've broken both drivers and passenger side wheel well covers on stupid small bumps by going too fast (my fault)

Edit: going too fast while turning

Last edited by leshrak; 06-15-2016 at 08:33 AM.
leshrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
TheRarp

My Ride: 02 - 325Ci
or wheels/tires are too big?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Uh, not trying to be a smart-alek, but what's a wheel fender?
In my case, it's the plastic piece that wraps around the front of the front tires, and to the bumper, preventing debris from getting in your engine compartment. Can be seen pictured below
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Part 8. Sorry, the part names are close
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Did you also install the brake duct?
Did you see I bought that too?? No, because both of my original ones are still there. On the side that fell off last night (passenger), it was hard to install the "Part 8" and get the duct in the square.
Edit: This issue was ONLY for the passenger side
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshrak View Post
Sounds like you need a different exit off the freeway or to go slower... I've broken both drivers and passenger side wheel well covers on stupid small bumps by going too fast (my fault)
I was going straight both times :0. It's a tad bumpy, but can't be felt really through the suspension. The freeway exit is the one to my main neighborhood street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRarp View Post
stock 205/16

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 06-15-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
I call that a fender liner.
Correct. My mistake, it was late

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 06-15-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Are your bump stops intact? Beyond that, you just need to slow down. It seems like your front bumper hit the ground and ripped the piece off. This is kind of like asking why your car scrapes over some speed bumps. Either go slower or avoid that path.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #11
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Are your bump stops intact? Beyond that, you just need to slow down. It seems like your front bumper hit the ground and ripped the piece off. This is kind of like asking why your car scrapes over some speed bumps. Either go slower or avoid that path.
I don't know much about suspension since I haven't had to venture there yet in my ownership, but I'm pretty sure mine are original, or just straight shot (since ~August of last year, when I saw them). If these were damaged, could that explain my issue? Or even so, do you think I am just going too fast? FYI, I'm not going faster than I usually do over the past year. And since this is the main freeway exit for me, I use it a lot.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
WDE46

You need to inspect to see if its still there or if it's in decent condition.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
leshrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRarp View Post
Could be if they're aftermarket or non-oe size, true. In my case I'm on factory 18" with factory size 225/40/18s in front. My hit was from the shallow v shaped gutters on the side of the road so common here in FL...

Last edited by leshrak; 06-15-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
leshrak

Do you know if the car is lowered? Can you measure it?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
WDE46

He said stock suspension.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
YoitsTmac

I don't think there is a stronger definition of shot than this photo, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	634670  
Old 06-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
cvx5832

Quote:
Did you see I bought that too?? No, because both of my original ones are still there. On the side that fell off last night (passenger), it was hard to install the "Part 8" and get the duct in the square.
Edit: This issue was ONLY for the passenger side
I don't mean the brake duct itself, but the lower tang of the brake duct that interfaces (and holds) the lower fender liner in place.

That lower tang locks into the lower fender liner, not over or under it. The lower fender liner will flap in the wind like a scoop and the tire will do the rest.

Ignore the captions on the picture.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #18
YoitsTmac

Quote:
I don't mean the brake duct itself, but the lower tang of the brake duct that interfaces (and holds) the lower fender liner in place.

That lower tang locks into the lower fender liner, not over or under it. The lower fender liner will flap in the wind like a scoop and the tire will do the rest.

Ignore the captions on the picture.
I see what you're talking about. On the passenger side, I was unable to secure it there because the bend in part 8 is different than the bend of part 11. It was hard enough to secure. On the driver side, I did have it secured there :/
Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
cvx5832

Quote:
I see what you're talking about. On the passenger side, I was unable to secure it there because the bend in part 8 is different than the bend of part 11. It was hard enough to secure. On the driver side, I did have it secured there :/
That might be your answer right there.

Look at it closely. Something is amiss. That part is the same pre and post lift so there should be no difference in the way these parts interface with each other. See if a panel is over when it should be under an adjoining trim, for example.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #20
YoitsTmac

Quote:
That might be your answer right there.

Look at it closely. Something is amiss. That part is the same pre and post lift so there should be no difference in the way these parts interface with each other. See if a panel is over when it should be under an adjoining trim, for example.
If that's the case, that really sucks. It's really hard to understand how they get secure. When you have a change, would you mind cranking your wheel and showing me how it is secured on your coupe? I don't know what goes under or over.
It is worth noting that the part where that bolt secures into the bumper has been shredded off, but neither has ever slipped out of that housing. I do think my bump stop and the little flare that looks like a mud flap are to blame. However, if I properly secure it and cut off that "mud flap," perhaps the issue will go away?

As I said, the passenger side doesn't bolt flush with the other wheel fender lining. I'll show you guys once I order some more. Do you guys recommend I buy used? I don't feel like these parts can go "bad."

Tags
coupe, fender, secure, wheel