E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
kennedye46

My Ride: 1999 323i
E46 DIED WHILE DRIVING, now won't start at all

I have a 1999 323i manual trans with 230000kms. it was running beautifully until yesterday.
I drove 30kms in decently heavy rain. the roads were quite wet. anyway after stopping at a store to pick up some things. Car was still running mint. started up fine. On my way home the last 1 km before my house, i was driving up a hill into my neighbourhood. driving up the hill 3rd gear doing about 60km/h. the car started to surge and stutter. rpms would drop to 1400rpm then surge back to 2200rpm approx. due to this the car slowed to 50km and to try and keep the car going i downshifted to 2nd gear and the car continued to do the same thing. by this time i had to turn at the top of the hill so i downshifted into 1st gear and the car continued to surge and stutter. eventually it just died.

My first check i looked into the intake path to see if any water had been ingested. all dry
i then took my code reader and there was nothing other than the electric fan code which i already knew about due to me running with no fan(i just have it unplugged, due to it constantly running, won't shut off. car doesn't overheat anyway.
looked for fuel at the rail by pressing the schrader valve on top of the fuel rail. all good, tonnes of fuel.
not sure what to look for now.

The car cranks over beautifully but won't start. i am not sure if it is sparking or not. i have pulled a spark plug and it seems to be burning fine.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm a pretty good mechanic myself so i can test stuff if necessary.
thanks in advance
kennedye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi (163k)
My "guess" is Intake Camshaft Position Sensor. The surging, and not starting sounds like what happened to my '02 325 at 125k miles (202k klicks).

There's a code for it, which my car threw, and therefore pointed right to it. The CPS problem can be flaky, coming and going...and hard to test even if you pull the device.

Get the OEM CPS if you do replace it.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
kennedye46

I now think it's not getting fuel. Have to check the fuel pump I guess. Anyone know if a clogged fuel filter could cause no fuel like this. I would rather not have to change a fuel pump lol. Thanks again
Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #4
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi (163k)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedye46 View Post
I now think it's not getting fuel. Have to check the fuel pump I guess. Anyone know if a clogged fuel filter could cause no fuel like this. I would rather not have to change a fuel pump lol. Thanks again
There's a shrader valve (like the valve stem on tires) on the fuel rail. It should be getting about 43 psi, IIRC. A parts store might let you use a fuel pressure gauge.
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
sam_

My Ride: E36 M3
Same thing happened w me, it was the fuel pump.

------------
///

CCA: 498753
sam_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedye46 View Post
The fuel pump is FAR easier to replace than the fuel filter. I can change the fuel pump in 15 minutes and you do not need to get under the car.

The fuel filter is huge on these cars and it is not likely to clog up.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
kennedye46

Yeah I pulled both the filter and the pump. Replacing the pump tomorrow. $238.00 Canadian dollars. Thanks for all the help. Will confirm if it works tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Check your fuel level in your tank.

Check your E-box fuses to make sure one did not blow.

Verify if you get voltage to the fuel pump connector.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
kennedye46

It's fixed now. Fuel pump was shot. I had a full tank which made it not so much fun as my driveway is sloped but we got it fixed. Thanks for all the help!

Tags
died while driving, e46, no start