E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
Nolan_R

My Ride: '05 ZHP
facelift coupe bi-xenon help!

Hi, I have a 2004 325ci. My passenger headlight flickers for a while before turning off completely and displaying the headlight out light on the dash. I have swapped over the bulb, igniter, and ballast from the passengers side light into the drivers side one (which works fine) and the problem did not carry over, meaning that none of those three things can be the problem. Sometimes, if I use the dial to turn off the lights, then turn them back on, the passenger light will come on for a moment before flickering out again. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I've already almost been pulled over once.
Nolan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
HOODY007

My Ride: '04 330ci
Xenon control unit (16 on this diagram)? Are your lights in the Auto position, and, if so, does the green light flash?
HOODY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Nolan_R

The green light does not flash when they are in auto. The part #16 is one of the things that I switched between headlights when trying to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Nolan_R

After staring at the headlight in confusion for a few minutes, I found that the brown wire that is in the same wire harness as the wires that go into the igniter is broken. From what I understand, the brown wire is a grounding wire. Is the only way for me to re-connect this wire to bake the headlights and remove everything? Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
HOODY007

My Ride: '04 330ci
Same thing happened to my father. You can go to the salvage yard, cut off a part of the harness from a broken headlight, and solder the new wire to the old wire in the headlight. It's a tight fit, but it shall suffice.
HOODY007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bi-xenon, coupe, face lift head lamp light, flicker, headlight