E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
GrayBMW

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Bluetooth Help

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death but I need the latest info, latest kits, latest advice on installing bluetooth in a 2005 325i.

There were some good older posts from 2009-2010 etc. 6 years have passed. If someone can direct me to the latest best link, kit, etc. that would be great.

I wish BMW centers themselves would do it.

I'm still a little confused on whether it's best to do TCU vs ULF.

Thanks
GrayBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
GrayBMW

I'm all set.

It turns out after al that reading and studying, I believe the car (2005 325i) already has bluetooth!

I was able to determine it had BMW Assist initially and those cars had BT built into the TCU (I had a 2005 BMW X3 and even without the Assist service, the bluetooth still worked)

I learned so much today!

The 639 COMPLETE PREP. CELLULAR PHONE USA/CDN
really translates to having BMW Assist. You can check wither you have that code by visiting BMW VIN and putting in your VIN.

If your car was built 9/04 (2005 model year) or later and you have a sharkfin antenna (representing Assist) then your car has bluetooth already.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
GrayBMW

Even though I cam to you guys for help and nobody responded, I wanted to share what I learned in case someone googles this in the future!

So verify you E46 was built 09/04 or later. Look for the shark fin (which means BMW Assist) or go to http://www.bmwvin.com and post your VIN. Look for 639 which means your car was equipped with the TCU that has both BMW Assist and BT.

So now you are excited that you have it already and don't have to retrofit anything!
1. Look for your PIN. See this for how to obtain it. or this

2 Pair your phone. See this:

Good luck!

Last edited by GrayBMW; 07-27-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
GrayBMW

I went to go see the car today and sure enough it does have bluetooth. When you first turn it on (first 2 minutes) so long as you have your phone in bluetooth search mode, it finds it!

The issue was the passkey. It wasn't so easy to pull back that back panel. There is a bolt etc. It was raining so I didn't give it as much time but what a pain! I hope it's easier to
remove that panel.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
GrayBMW

Question Bluetooth

Once you have bluetooth pairing with your phone are you able to play music from your phone such as Pandora or YouTube or is it only for calls?

If not possible, has anyone worked around this? My guess is the Auxilary inut install then some kind of bluetooth transmitter.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
iowna330xi

My Ride: is not yet fast.
You would have to get something like the dice silverline duo to play music and calls
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:54 AM   #7
GrayBMW

Thanks. I watched a youtube on that and it's more work than I want to do.

Now I cancelled my aux in and bluetooth transmitter and I'm thinking of getting one of these radio replacements that has everything. Has anyone done this? At this point it's an old used car so I'm not worried of warranty and the dealership blaming like when I had a new BMW. If you ask me, BMW should be coming up with their own genuine upgrades.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:30 AM   #8
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBMW View Post
Thanks. I watched a youtube on that and it's more work than I want to do.

Now I cancelled my aux in and bluetooth transmitter and I'm thinking of getting one of these radio replacements that has everything. Has anyone done this? At this point it's an old used car so I'm not worried of warranty and the dealership blaming like when I had a new BMW. If you ask me, BMW should be coming up with their own genuine upgrades.
BMW as well as most other car manufacturers are in the business of developing and producing new cars, not in upgrading old models that rolled out of the assembly lines more than ten years ago.
They did offer a few upgrades that weren't available as factory options, i.e their performance intake and carbon fiber strut brace, but that was quite some time ago.
You probably haven't found the mobile electronics section yet. There's information and feedback on many audio products. However, if you find Dice Silverline difficult to install, you won't like most other aftermarket solutions any better.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
GrayBMW

I decided to go with the Joying 7. I hope it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If people are interested, I'll give feedback once it's set up.
This is 2016. Business CD just doesn't cut it. I can't believe I was going to go through the trouble of installing the auxiliary in plus an additional BT transmitter just to semi keep the radio. Who cares at this point? I think once you are past the 4 years free warrenty, yu can do what you want. This thing sounds cool. We'll see. I hope the install is easy.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
GrayBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
BMW as well as most other car manufacturers are in the business of developing and producing new cars, not in upgrading old models that rolled out of the assembly lines more than ten years ago.
They did offer a few upgrades that weren't available as factory options, i.e their performance intake and carbon fiber strut brace, but that was quite some time ago.
You probably haven't found the mobile electronics section yet. There's information and feedback on many audio products. However, if you find Dice Silverline difficult to install, you won't like most other aftermarket solutions any better.
Hi Megalocnus,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I cant cover for BMW. I understand what you are saying but also at the time I DID buy a new BMW (2005-X3). Right now it's easy to look back and give them a pass but even at that time I thought that radio set up was weak. I had to pay them to add the auxiliary input. The part was cheap but the labor was expensive. This means they should have made an auxiliary input standard. I myself had the vision that it was flawed and ordered that before I even picked up the car! They just weren't on the ball. My rear headset entertainment system didn't come with AV connectors.

Even BMW will tel you they only made bluetooth standard in 2015.

My X3 wasn't bad once I added the aux in because I had nav and satellite radio.

BMW plays games. I remember when I got my X3 and they didn't know what they were doing with the BT they were blaming my phone compatibility. So..I went an purchased a new RAZR which was $750 at the time and when that didn't work they had no excuses. They had to do some code with the machine or something. Once they did that, all phones worked.

Thanks on the pointer on the electronic section. Just last night I decided to go with the Joying 7 (before I saw your post). I hope that got good reviews. I don't mind doing installs. I can flow directions well but that Dice went from the back to the front removing seats and running wires under the carpeting etc...all for bluetooth? Please. It's sounds like this Joying will be plug and play and even if it involves more work, I'm OK with it because of all the extra features it offers.

Last edited by GrayBMW; 07-29-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
When I bought my car in 2007 it had 12,700 miles. Dealer told me the original owner turned it in for an Automatic X3 because she was afraid of driving stick. Thankfully I have never had any transmission or clutch issues. The dealership left the original owners paperwork in the glove box including a reciept of dealer options. This was how I found out that they had opted for bluetooth, sat radio, cd changer and that stupid subwoofer they used to sell (I say stupid now but when I bought the car I was 23 and disapointed that it wasn't in there ) . The cost of these options was ridiculous, somewhere north of $3000 I forget the exact amount. Miraculously they were all missing from the car when I bought it. Maybe they put it in the X3 or maybe the dealer decided to pull them before re-selling the car. I do remember the bluetooth was a $1200 option because I was annoyed that it wasn't in there anymore. The dealer just shrugged when asked about it and then offered to sell me the kit with install for $1200. Needless to say I passed. The thought of spending another $1200 on a car I had just bought for $26000 made me shudder. The fact that you have bluetooth in your car shows that someone had opted to pay for it when they bought the car. Everything was ala carte back when our cars were new. Times have changed now. Bluetooth was a luxury back then. Now its standard on a $12000 KIA. Right now I'm using the AUX input and a $20 bluetooth kit I bought off Amazon. Been working fine for me for a few years now. Eventually I will upgrade to a Dynavin but what i have works fine for now.

Last edited by Travis424; 07-29-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Travis424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
GrayBMW

Yes Travis,

I remember that. I actually bought a BMW the same year as my current car (2005-it was an X3) so I remember how it went. I went option crazy but really what I opted in for was the BMW Assist but just that model year (starting with cars built 9/04), they started to incorporate bluetooth into the BMW Assist TCU.

You may already have bluetooth! Do you have a shark fin antenna? If so, that means the person chose BMW Assist and even with the assist disabled, bluetooth still works!

Go to BMWVIN and put your vin in there. If it shows 639 then the assist TCU was equipped and you have bluetooth. You can't trust the dealers if they simply tell you you don't have it.

If you see 639 then this is how you test to see if you have bluetoth:
Put your phone on, go to bluetooth-and go to the screen where it searches for devices. Then then your car on (but don't start the engine...just turn the key to the first position so there is power). For the first 2 minutes your car will automatically be in pairing mode. If you have buetooth, on your phone "BMW+ last 5 digits of your vin" (e.g. BMW52136) will pop up. It will ask you for the 4 digit ass key or PIN.

Last edited by GrayBMW; 07-29-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #13
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
They also come with a peel off sticker that some dealers will put into the service manual.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #14
GrayBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
They also come with a peel off sticker that some dealers will put into the service manual.
There is no consistency. When I bought mine I had some card or smething. I can't remember whether the card was peel off but nobody put anything on to the service manual. I should check my old one to see if I did...But the woman who had this saved everything but I don't see it. She even has the description that was in the window, sales cards. When I get my plastic tools it sounds like I will be opening the trunk lining.

I'm confused now about where the microphone ends up. I'm adding a new Joying radio and I'd rather just use the built in mic rather than run an additional mic. If I get lucky, maybe when I pull the radio back, the mic will be plugged into that.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
GrayBMW

BTW, I can't believe before when I wsn't sure if I had bluetooth, I was thinking of ordering the $750 TCU just to give me buetooth and now for $350 I'm going to get the Joying 7 with navigation, real bluetooth (not just for calls) and more.
I still think it sucks that carriers won't just give us unlimited data. Somebody is going to come up with something with unlimited data for $12 a month if you are already a customer. People can't stay in their cars but I don't like having a gig limit. Mobile hotspots are too expensive (I have one). In the future, this will all be a joke...just lie when internet first came out (remember AOL? They wanted to charge you the number of minutes you were online). The carriers can do it but there needs to be competition to motivate them.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:54 AM   #16
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
There is no consistency. When I bought mine I had some card or smething. I can't remember whether the card was peel off but nobody put anything on to the service manual. I should check my old one to see if I did...But the woman who had this saved everything but I don't see it. She even has the description that was in the window, sales cards. When I get my plastic tools it sounds like I will be opening the trunk lining.

I'm confused now about where the microphone ends up. I'm adding a new Joying radio and I'd rather just use the built in mic rather than run an additional mic. If I get lucky, maybe when I pull the radio back, the mic will be plugged into that.

The mic is in the cabin / map reading light console . It's a powered type with the voltage coming the tcu/ulf. If using after market head unit with mic input you'll need to research the unit to see if it supplies power at the right voltage. Otherwise look for a noise cancelling dual mic such as some of the models from Shure or similar. You'll need to run a shielded mic cable .
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
GrayBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
The mic is in the cabin / map reading light console . It's a powered type with the voltage coming the tcu/ulf. If using after market head unit with mic input you'll need to research the unit to see if it supplies power at the right voltage. Otherwise look for a noise cancelling dual mic such as some of the models from Shure or similar. You'll need to run a shielded mic cable .
Thanks for your input. Please tell me more so I know what to ask them. I'm using the Joying 7 (will install) and it actually comes with a mic to attach if we want but I was hoping to just use the existing mic for cleanliness. Does the current mic plug into the radio so I can just take it out and plug it into the new head unit?

When you say I need to find out the right voltage, what voltage should I be looking for?

This is the one I ordered. I also just added the rear view camera and front camera DVD: https://www.amazon.com/JOYING-Player...rds=joying+bmw
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #18
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2006 325ci vert
Any update on the Joying 7?

Steve330ci
2006 325ci vert
Steve330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Please tell me more so I know what to ask them. I'm using the Joying 7 (will install) and it actually comes with a mic to attach if we want but I was hoping to just use the existing mic for cleanliness. Does the current mic plug into the radio so I can just take it out and plug it into the new head unit?

When you say I need to find out the right voltage, what voltage should I be looking for?

This is the one I ordered. I also just added the rear view camera and front camera DVD: https://www.amazon.com/JOYING-Player...rds=joying+bmw
The mic plugs into the tcu in the boot. There isn't anything plugged into the radio persay. You need to fit the mic that works with your China head unit.

$750 for a tcu? I bought mine for $50, lol.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 08-03-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
GrayBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
The mic plugs into the tcu in the boot. There isn't anything plugged into the radio persay. You need to fit the mic that works with your China head unit.

$750 for a tcu? I bought mine for $50, lol.
Thanks. Yeah...that Bimmernav company. I can't believe how much my ideas have progressed in a week and a half. Now I'm getting a China head unit with reverse cam, dashboard cam, full bluetooth (not just calls) and mirroring of iphone (decided to add RCA to HDMI so I can use the HDMI for mirroring (without having to have both on wifi).

Thanks for the input. Maybe he can shove the mic that comes with the unit in that same spot. I won't need the original BMW one...especially with new BMW Assist issues.

Tags
bluetooth