E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Gyuri1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 320i
Car won't start shortly after using Fuel Injector Cleaner

Hi guys.

I hope you are all doing well. I need your help once again.

My car ran totally fine today until later when I tried starting it again. It fired up multiple times but for a few short seconds only until it stalled. I tried giving it some gas but I was unable to keep the car running. It's as if the pedal didn't even respond.

I am suspecting the STP Fuel Injector Cleaner I put in a full gas tank a couple days ago has something to do with it.

Now it doesn't even start at all anymore. There is power, the flywheel spins but the car just won't fire up.

I think there is simply no fuel going to the engine or not enough at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I want to be able to fix this asap.

Thanks to all of you in advance!
Gyuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
lingon300k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ / USA
Posts: 1,743
My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuri1 View Post
Hi guys.

I hope you are all doing well. I need your help once again.

My car ran totally fine today until later when I tried starting it again. It fired up multiple times but for a few short seconds only until it stalled. I tried giving it some gas but I was unable to keep the car running. It's as if the pedal didn't even respond.

I am suspecting the STP Fuel Injector Cleaner I put in a full gas tank a couple days ago has something to do with it.

Now it doesn't even start at all anymore. There is power, the flywheel spins but the car just won't fire up.

I think there is simply no fuel going to the engine or not enough at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I want to be able to fix this asap.

Thanks to all of you in advance!
Did you put a single bottle of STP fuel system cleaner in the tank then fill it up? If so, there's no way it has anything at all to do with what you're experiencing. STP fuel system cleaner is worthless, but it won't damage your system or cause your car to not start.

Any codes? Based on the text I bolded, it sounds like your fuel pump just died.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
Gyuri1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
Did you put a single bottle of STP fuel system cleaner in the tank then fill it up? If so, there's no way it has anything at all to do with what you're experiencing. STP fuel system cleaner is worthless, but it won't damage your system or cause your car to not start.

Any codes? Based on the text I bolded, it sounds like your fuel pump just died.
I added the cleaner after filling up the tank as directed on the bottle. The reason I think it has something to do is just because everything was running fine until I put the cleaner in the gas tank. Kind of odd that my fuel pump dies after 2 days of having mixed a cleaner into my fuel...

However the fuel pump definitely is something to consider.

Why would you say the cleaner won't work anyway? I've seen videos where older cars with lost horse power could actually regain some of the power by cleaner their fuel injectors.
Gyuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
Dave1027
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,845
My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Maybe the stp was the straw that broke the fuel pump's back?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
Dave1027
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,845
My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Maybe the stp was the straw that broke the fuel pump's back?
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,632
My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Or it's just coincidence without any causation. The fuel pumps just die sometimes. Now, I don't know if that's it, but it's a likely culprit. The injector cleaner didn't do anything.
__________________

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
lingon300k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ / USA
Posts: 1,743
My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuri1 View Post
I added the cleaner after filling up the tank as directed on the bottle. The reason I think it has something to do is just because everything was running fine until I put the cleaner in the gas tank. Kind of odd that my fuel pump dies after 2 days of having mixed a cleaner into my fuel...

However the fuel pump definitely is something to consider.

Why would you say the cleaner won't work anyway? I've seen videos where older cars with lost horse power could actually regain some of the power by cleaner their fuel injectors.
Usually, when you've just done something to the car and then something goes wrong, the thing that you did was the cause. But it's not possible in this case.

I didn't say that cleaners won't work, but that STP won't work. Use something with PEA, like Redline SL-1 or Gumout All In One. STP is even worse than I thought if they're directing you to put it in a full tank of gas. Generally, you put the fuel system cleaner in when the tank is empty, then you fill it up to mix the product in with the gasoline.

It's sheer coincidence that the problem started after using the STP. Did you drive the car for two days after putting it in, then the problem started? If so, it's even more impossible.

You didn't say whether or not you have a check engine light, or what the codes are. Usually, you get codes when the car won't start. It's possible, but rare, to have a no-start condition without a check engine light on an OBDII car. Especially a fuel related no-start.

How many miles on the car? Original fuel pump? Even if the fuel pump was dying, there shouldn't be anything in STP that could hurt it.

I don't know what video you saw, but you're getting into bonafide snake oil territory when you start talking about regaining horsepower from an additive. You might gain a bit by having the injectors professionally cleaned, and you might gain a tiny bit of power and fuel mileage from a good cleaner that cleans up the valves and combustion chamber. But this is all a big might. You won't be gaining 10+ HP.

Take a look here, by copy+pasting into google, if you're interested in fuel system cleaners:

search:bobistheoilguy.com+polyetheramine

And read this thread for fuel pump info:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=929501&page=4

Last edited by lingon300k; 08-31-2016 at 11:11 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
Gyuri1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 320i
I don't have any code or light that came on. The car has 67 500 original miles which isn't very much but then again probably still has the original fuel pump considering I bought the car around 53 000 miles on the clock.

Now that you guys mention it I think the additive might just be a coincidence and it might actually be the fuel pump.

I will look into it further. The only reason I used additive is not to actually restore horse power but because on very rare occasions the car slightly hesitated on cold starts. I changed the spark plugs a couple months ago, my disa valve, I checked for vacuum leaks but none is present. The car is in overall great shape. So I thought after such mileage some fuel injector cleaner won't do any harm.
Gyuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
jmo69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,344
My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
At least pull the back seat to make it easier to hear if the pump primes when you turn the key. If you do replace the pump, do the filter too.
__________________
HERSHIS
2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau almost modless, just lots of new parts. 1998 328is 5sp lowered, X-brace, Sparco strut brace, HIDs and almost everything blacked out
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #10
Landlorder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London and Bristol
Posts: 430
My Ride: 330CI Sport
Sounds like your fuel pump has gone.
__________________
Landlorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
Megalocnus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,004
My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Most likely a coincidence.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Gyuri1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 320i
Hi guys.

Just wanted to let you all know that it was indeed the fuel pump. It probably really had nothing to do with the additive. I also replaced the fuel filter as part of a maintenance procedure. Now it runs just as it used to.

All thanks to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
I didn't say that cleaners won't work, but that STP won't work.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=929501&page=4
Why so? I read on a website that it is among the best ones. I mean why would they sell it for that purpose if it doesn't work at all?
Gyuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,632
My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuri1 View Post
Hi guys.

Just wanted to let you all know that it was indeed the fuel pump. It probably really had nothing to do with the additive. I also replaced the fuel filter as part of a maintenance procedure. Now it runs just as it used to.

All thanks to you!



Why so? I read on a website that it is among the best ones. I mean why would they sell it for that purpose if it doesn't work at all?
I'm not commenting on the product you use. I want to make the point that just because something is sold for a purpose doesn't mean it actually works. You probably already know this, but plenty of companies sell **** products that don't work for their intended or claimed purpose.
__________________

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel injector, rough idle, won't start

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use