E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #21
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Get rid of the k&n filter and put something else there.

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #22
Boarum

My Ride: 330i AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrickC View Post
Get rid of the k&n filter and put something else there.
Cheers mate standard box? K&N panel ? Or standard filter?

Or updated box? Iv been looking for a AF Heat sheild but are quite expensive for what it is...

Thanks
Boarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #23
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarum View Post
Hi there , thanks for the feedback

Today I have wire brushed the rust from the bonnet catch stays, and lubed them up again , so hopefully that will protect them a bit .

I'm not a great fan of the cone filter if I'm honest, if I had it my way I would have gone for a K&N panel filter instead. As for the cable ties,I'm guessing it was either making a rattle , or maybe just to keep it secure, not the most appealing to look at I must admit..

I know the headlights are pointed at floor as much as possible but I will check if its blinding to other drivers when it gets dark.

The laquer peel on the bumper is the only place I can see on the car so I will get that touched up soon, along with a few other little things I hope to get all the little bits sorted as the rest of the car is in pretty good condition for its age.

In the past I have used some fine grit paste to clear some hazy headlights, should sort that out!

And yeah I noticed the chaffed looking pipe and thought that could do with replacing.
I did see on one of the receipts that came with the car that the rocker gasket had been replaced not too long ago, but I will mention when I take it into my friends garage ( very turstworthy family friend )

This car is going to be a work in progress so I think I need to make a bit of a snagging list, and prioritise . I'm no money bags but this car is going to be my little pet . I have a daily driver to use for work ( chucking tools and stuff in ) so might be that it gets taken apart soon
I want to paint the calipers blue also , as at the moment they are a greyish 'worn' colour.

Colour/color, we can all still get along

Thanks again !!

First of all, congratulations on the new car. All those ACS parts compliment the vehicle nicely.

In the way of maintenance, however, take advice from the other members who have posted above.

1. Priority - inspect your cooling system, as they are known to take a p*ss around 100K miles. Check for brittle hoses and a cracked expansion/overflow tank. If that explodes you'll be looking at overheating the car in a under a minute and hoping that a new headgasket is the least of your worries.

2. You're right about your intake - getting a heatshield for your cone intake or going to either an AFE or OEM air filter housing is important for your power output - that cone as it is is prone to tons of heat soak. With an OEM unit you could drop in an AFE Pro 5R filter if you wanted some sort of "performance" out of it.

3. Get rid of the current lights, or at the very least install a proper HID kit with projectors. This was stated by clabcon. Not only are you most likely blinding fellow drivers, but your light output is decreased from the stock lighting.

4. If your headlights are hazy, I would recommend buying new lenses, but am not sure how that works for the facelift model, which is what you have. Stray from the restoration kits, as they are only a temporary fix for maybe a year or so. IIRC, your headlight unit is sealed from the factory. Search around the forums and you'll find plenty of threads on lens replacement.

5. FYI - the brake calipers come stock as that "greyish worn" color. Most here frown upon painting them since we only have small, single-piston calipers, but it's your car and your taste. Just make sure you take care of maintenance before you worry with that.

Quote:
The guy in the garage told me it has been decatted to make it straight through? .. But a friend said he could see a cat near the manifold? Would this be correct? It has 2 months mot in it still so he said to bring it back in a month and they would mot it, I mentioned would it pass emissions with the decat and he said they would put it through, also a friend said he would put it through mot.
Additionally, yes, there are cats attached to the exhaust manifold/headers. The stock cats are considered by many a bottleneck, as the diameter of the collector pipe is smaller than it could be, so upgrading to performance cat-less headers is a profitable power mod. This comes with a plethora of pros/cons that I'm not going to get into though, such as passing emissions inspections.

Anyways, welcome on board! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 09-20-2016 at 01:40 AM.
hodgkinsc330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #24
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Cheers mate standard box? K&N panel ? Or standard filter?

Or updated box? Iv been looking for a AF Heat sheild but are quite expensive for what it is...

Thanks
I wanted to reply earlier, but I couldn't get onto the site.

It really depends on what you're after. You could always revert to a stock box, or you could get a BMW Performance intake ($$$$$) for the OEM+ feel.

If you want more fancy aftermarket, there's so many options for you since you're in Europe (unlike me, who resides in the place where you sent a whole lot of your convicts). I personally would love to get a Racing Dynamics one. They're located in Italy, and make a really nice one.

If you go down that route, make sure you get in contact with the Italian firm, NOT the US one, and do it via a phone call since they don't respond to email ever.

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #25
Boarum

Hello . Sorry I am working in London at the moment and have been very busy!

I think I am going to look for standard box and get a panel filter . My priority is making sure the car is at 100% health. I want to look after this car and the first thing I thought when I saw the filter was that it might not be right.

Can't wait to get back to the car ( and the family ) and start tinkering with things. I checked the oil and coolant and noticed the top of the float in the expansion tank was broken so I am going to order a new expansion tank.
Thanks for the replys guys I will take some time when I get back home to work on the car and sort a few things out as I'm a bit worried about the cooling.

Thanks guys
Old 09-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
Hello . Sorry I am working in London at the moment and have been very busy!

I think I am going to look for standard box and get a panel filter . My priority is making sure the car is at 100% health. I want to look after this car and the first thing I thought when I saw the filter was that it might not be right.

Can't wait to get back to the car ( and the family ) and start tinkering with things. I checked the oil and coolant and noticed the top of the float in the expansion tank was broken so I am going to order a new expansion tank.
Thanks for the replys guys I will take some time when I get back home to work on the car and sort a few things out as I'm a bit worried about the cooling.

Thanks guys
Was the old float red or pink?

Get a new cap to go with the new tank too. Oh and some genuine BMW coolant.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Someone spent a lot of money on ACS parts for that car. You have a gem. I know cause the few ACS parts I bought for my 330 cost more than the car is now worth.
Here's what ACS offered for the e46:

Last edited by BMW-North; 09-30-2016 at 10:36 AM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #28
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Someone spent a lot of money on ACS parts for that car. You have a gem. I know cause the few ACS parts I bought for my 330 cost more than the car is now worth.
Here's what ACS offered for the e46:
That's good to know! ...might be worth looking for the front splitter Aswell then , as I think it might be the only thing missing...

That's some good info on the ACS styling kit .
Do you have a picture of your car?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #29
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
Was the old float red or pink?

Get a new cap to go with the new tank too. Oh and some genuine BMW coolant.
I don't I could see any colour on the float ? Which is even more worrying.. It did say in the service book it had a service 1,000 miles ago, so I'd imagine there's nothing to worry about. But I need to take it to my garage to get a proper check over .

Genuine coolant? And genuine oil?

What is your thoughts on then HID'? Seems a shame to throw them in the bin.. They look nice and the don't seem to blind me as I stand in front of the car at nights?

I am taking all the advice, but I don't really understand why they are so bad?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #30
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
So, it was a clear/white float? Definitely not OEM then. I'd be wary about that coolant ET.

Genuine coolant is important - you don't want the wrong fluids corroding the aluminum alloys in the block. Nothing catastrophic, but the price of the OEM coolant is low enough to not justify a switch to a cheaper fluid. Go to your local stealership, or even better order it online. US $27 is what I paid for a gallon.

And the HID's, although they may not seem blinding (or maybe they aren't even) aren't providing you with optimal view of the road at night. Especially if your lamps are pointed at the ground. That's why we're advising on switching.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #31
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
So, it was a clear/white float? Definitely not OEM then. I'd be wary about that coolant ET.

Genuine coolant is important - you don't want the wrong fluids corroding the aluminum alloys in the block. Nothing catastrophic, but the price of the OEM coolant is low enough to not justify a switch to a cheaper fluid. Go to your local stealership, or even better order it online. US $27 is what I paid for a gallon.

And the HID's, although they may not seem blinding (or maybe they aren't even) aren't providing you with optimal view of the road at night. Especially if your lamps are pointed at the ground. That's why we're advising on switching.
Advice taken I am going to dump the hid's and get some official coolant.

. It was more like a beige colour? It looked like the top was snapped off? I made sure there was coolant inside ( made sure it was floating ) and didn't top it up as I didn't want to overfill.
... Iv had a small amount of time under the bonnet/I. The driving seat.. So this weekend I am going to be getting stuck in a bit more.

Air filter.
Coolant.
Hid's
Cleaning
Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 AM   #32
BimmerOfTheNorth

My Ride: 2002 ACS3 E46 BMW M3
Awesome looking car! I've been keeping an eye out for other ACS3's as I haven't ever seen many on this forum. To me all your parts look like legit AC Schnitzer. I too bought an e46 with AC Schnitzer parts already on it. Glad I didn't have to spend the money myself but they look great and have held up excellent on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150611_092902.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	641612  

2002 BMW AC Schnitzer M3 / All original ACS3| ACS Short shift kit | ACS Exhaust | ACS Coilovers| ACS Carbon Fibre rear diffuser | ACS Front Lip | ACS Roof Spoiler | ACS 20" Type IV wheels | K&N Intake
BimmerOfTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #33
JustGav

My Ride: AC30
I've got the AC30 as mentioned previously, and I've got a different box for the filter and MAF pipe due to the charger being sat where the normal one was.... I shudder to think where to get the parts from especially since it is CF
JustGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #34
JustGav

My Ride: AC30
I will however a fairly decent standard airbox coming off one of my cars which is getting a cone filter, and before people shudder it is track car 325i which is being tubbied

You can have the airbox
JustGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:46 AM   #35
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGav View Post
I will however a fairly decent standard airbox coming off one of my cars which is getting a cone filter, and before people shudder it is track car 325i which is being tubbied

You can have the airbox
! Nice! Where do you live? I will find out how much postage is
Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 AM   #36
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerOfTheNorth View Post
Awesome looking car! I've been keeping an eye out for other ACS3's as I haven't ever seen many on this forum. To me all your parts look like legit AC Schnitzer. I too bought an e46 with AC Schnitzer parts already on it. Glad I didn't have to spend the money myself but they look great and have held up excellent on my car.
Nice m3! Did you have it resprayed? I am on the lookout for a front splitter but Iv seen them for 900! Maybe keep an eye on the forums but looks like quite a rare part :/

I had toe and camber corrected at the weekend and the steering wheel wasn't straight , I am getting the wheels balanced this week so that should make a difference; when it gets over 90mph I can feel it juddering a bit .
The garage said everything seems normal with cooling and oil but am getting it in for a proper look over this week also
Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #37
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yes like you said get atleast a shield for that filter. the smell of oil likely a small valve cover leak. HIDS in a parabolic reflector lense is gonna blind people. you need atleast a cut-off from ellipsoid lenses.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #38
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
yes like you said get atleast a shield for that filter. the smell of oil likely a small valve cover leak. HIDS in a parabolic reflector lense is gonna blind people. you need atleast a cut-off from ellipsoid lenses.
Ok I think I might try and stick with the filter and make it work with a heat Shield.

what do you mean by a cut off? Like black the lenses out? Or partially?
Thanks bud
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #39
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Ok I think I might try and stick with the filter and make it work with a heat Shield.

what do you mean by a cut off? Like black the lenses out? Or partially?
Thanks bud
basically the air when moving is going to be fresh. but you want it also direct and not bouncing around the engine bay. with a heat shield making a compartment around the cone filter you should be ok. although if you live in a heavy dusty area i would go back to the stock air box.

ellipsoids, or what people call "projectors or dome" light lenses they have a cut-off shield inside the lense infront of the bulbs. this cuts off the light that shines up and into driver's faces. makes a cut off on the horizontal plane. go to the Lighting Forum of this site and you'll see examples of it and how it works as a safety for driver's with HID system lights. when you put those bright lights/bulbs into a non-projector lens it scatters light all over and into oncoming traffic making it unsafe for others. making you "that guy" who blinds drivers.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 09-26-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #40
Boarum

Expansion tank ordered

Hoping I can do this myself on the driveway , what is the 'best' coolant to buy? Any tips for fitting?

Tags
330i, ac, mods, schnitzer, tuning