E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #41
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarum View Post
Expansion tank ordered

Hoping I can do this myself on the driveway , what is the 'best' coolant to buy? Any tips for fitting?
Awesome. If you get stuck at any point, look at Mango's posts - he is the coolant whisperer afterall.

OEM BMW coolant is best. I would recommend against anything else. Make sure you open the heater core valve by cutting fan speed to low and temp to high - standard procedure like on every other car pretty much.

Hopefully it goes well for you.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #42
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
Expansion tank ordered

Hoping I can do this myself on the driveway , what is the 'best' coolant to buy? Any tips for fitting?
For a complete drain/fill, order 3 x 1.5 L bottles of bmw coolant and mix 50:50 with distilled water. We do not get gallon jugs in the UK, but our coolant comes from Germany, unlike the US made stuff
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:28 PM   #43
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Expansion tank ordered

The best is Genuine BMW coolant. It costs less per ounce than the other guys and is the best stuff. In an emergency or pinch until the correct stuff comes in or you are stranded on the side of the road you can use the green stuff, straight water, or stuff from volvo, mercedes dealer. But BMW is the recommended.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #44
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
For a complete drain/fill, order 3 x 1.5 L bottles of bmw coolant and mix 50:50 with distilled water. We do not get gallon jugs in the UK, but our coolant comes from Germany, unlike the US made stuff
I was unaware of that. I still find it odd that in the UK some Imperial units are used, such as miles and miles per hour, yet metric sneaks its way in there somehow. Must be the proximity to the rest of Europe.

When you drain and "flush" the coolant, if you have the means I would recommend draining from the block as well. It may be a little messy (unless you use the trash bag method) but it ensures you get all of the old coolant out, and it saves you money on your 50/50 mix. Plus, no headaches from attempting to calculate how many times you need to drain and fill to get all new coolant in.

Also important and worth mentioning (I'm sure you already know this) but use distilled/de-ionized water in your 50/50 mix.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #45
Boarum

My Ride: 330i AC Schnitzer
Thanks for the replies genuine bmw coolant it is ! ..and now i know
..and i read your 'cooling' thread mango; top stuff! i also read the top 10, and have taken notes.
am ordering 3 bottles of 1.5L genuine as soon as i can

A friend said they could refurb my wheels for 80 which seems a good price to me . i will keep that in mind for after i have dealt with my 'priotities' on the car... i like the wheels
Boarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #46
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Thanks for the replies genuine bmw coolant it is ! ..and now i know
..and i read your 'cooling' thread mango; top stuff! i also read the top 10, and have taken notes.
am ordering 3 bottles of 1.5L genuine as soon as i can

A friend said they could refurb my wheels for 80 which seems a good price to me . i will keep that in mind for after i have dealt with my 'priotities' on the car... i like the wheels
Sounds good, my friend. As old timers say, "'Welcome to the 'Fest!"
Old 09-30-2016, 03:44 PM   #47
Boarum

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #48
Mango
e46mango.com

What mirrors are those? They look cool
Old 09-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #49
Boarum

AC Schnitzer mirrors as far as I'm aware ?
Same as skirts, spoilers, rear bumper (or diffuser) and wheels
Old 09-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #50
Boarum

The back box is also ACS
Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #51
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
You got yourself very nice tastefully modified car for very good price.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #52
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
You got yourself very nice tastefully modified car for very good price.
Thanks! Iv been looking for a car to love for a little while... I didn't expect it to be an e46 3 series!
As soon as I saw this advertised , I quickly gathered funds, went and test drove it that night, and put a deposit down the same day . Next day I drove her home haha.

I will post the ad! It was listed as 'schnitzel body styling' ha!

Last edited by Boarum; 10-01-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #53
Boarum

Old 10-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #54
Boarum

O_O
Old 10-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #55
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
First of all, congratulations on the new car. All those ACS parts compliment the vehicle nicely.

In the way of maintenance, however, take advice from the other members who have posted above.

1. Priority - inspect your cooling system, as they are known to take a p*ss around 100K miles. Check for brittle hoses and a cracked expansion/overflow tank. If that explodes you'll be looking at overheating the car in a under a minute and hoping that a new headgasket is the least of your worries.

2. You're right about your intake - getting a heatshield for your cone intake or going to either an AFE or OEM air filter housing is important for your power output - that cone as it is is prone to tons of heat soak. With an OEM unit you could drop in an AFE Pro 5R filter if you wanted some sort of "performance" out of it.

3. Get rid of the current lights, or at the very least install a proper HID kit with projectors. This was stated by clabcon. Not only are you most likely blinding fellow drivers, but your light output is decreased from the stock lighting.

4. If your headlights are hazy, I would recommend buying new lenses, but am not sure how that works for the facelift model, which is what you have. Stray from the restoration kits, as they are only a temporary fix for maybe a year or so. IIRC, your headlight unit is sealed from the factory. Search around the forums and you'll find plenty of threads on lens replacement.

5. FYI - the brake calipers come stock as that "greyish worn" color. Most here frown upon painting them since we only have small, single-piston calipers, but it's your car and your taste. Just make sure you take care of maintenance before you worry with that.

Additionally, yes, there are cats attached to the exhaust manifold/headers. The stock cats are considered by many a bottleneck, as the diameter of the collector pipe is smaller than it could be, so upgrading to performance cat-less headers is a profitable power mod. This comes with a plethora of pros/cons that I'm not going to get into though, such as passing emissions inspections.

Anyways, welcome on board! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.
Hi hodgkinsc , just reading back through some of the comments and I thought I'd better thank you for taking the to time to write such good information!
Thanks mate much respect!

Last edited by Boarum; 10-01-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #56
Boarum

Sooo...

Today the 'low coolant' light came up on the dash, I was close to home so limped home and opened the bonnet...
One on the bolts holding the radiator on had disappeared , causing the radiator to 'drop' back , and the expansion tank was rubbing on a belt pulley... And had pierced a hole in the tank!

Luckily my new expansion tank arrived YESTERDAY ! So I have followed mango's guide, and made the repair myself ! (slightly proud)
Anyway , Iv got some decent coolant for now, and done all the correct procedures, and she's back in action
Iv also fixed the radiator back to its correct position, and used a cable tie as a security measure in case the problem reoccurs.

I think it might have been karmas way of telling me to change the expansion tank.

I also gave a good wash , and clean the alloys to perfection

Big thanks to mango for posting his thread , you deserve some credit buddy! And also everyone else who has given me advice and a push in the right direction.

The problem: Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The new tank: Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The wheel cleaner: Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The result : Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Old 10-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #57
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Which side is the radiator loose on? You can buy a new torx screw or expanding rivet for very cheap at your local dealer.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #58
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
Which side is the radiator loose on? You can buy a new torx screw or expanding rivet for very cheap at your local dealer.
I did put a new torx screw in, with a wide head on, almost like it had a washer fused to it... I borrowed it from The induction pipe ( the one that directs air to the cone filter( btw i am still getting a heat shield, I want to stay with the cone filter ) , and have used another suitable screw in its place

All in all it went well!! Now I'm celebrating with some alcohol tonighttt

Last edited by Boarum; 10-02-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: *wasnt from underbelly plastics, was from induction*
Old 10-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #59
Boarum

Which part of the world are you from clabcon?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #60
Boarum

It was on the air filter side.. Ta

Tags
330i, ac, mods, schnitzer, tuning