Bars Leak Engine Repair on high(er) mileage e46? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
CantStopRockin

My Ride: 03' 325Xi
Bars Leak Engine Repair on high(er) mileage e46?

Hey guys.
As the title says, does anyone have any experience with using this particular product? Its the 2 chamber bottle- One chamber with sort of your average viscosity, and the other with some thick, thick stuff. (Not the coolant stuff, radiator, head gasket, etc. Just the 'Engine Repair).
I'm just shy of 150,000 btw. You may ask, does my car need ENGINE REPAIR? No.

I dont have any leaks in my engine (325xi) whatsoever, but I used to use it religiously as prevention in all of my other cars. Nothing more than a preventative measure. But I know that BMW engines aren't your run of the mill engines.

I just picked up 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0/40 for a change and wondering if this stuff is a good idea or not (I suppose combined with said oil, and the Bars Leak on its own).
I have looked around on the internet and cant find any definitive answers or experience using it in BMW engines.

Can anyone shed some light as to what this stuff may or may not do for a higher mileage M54 motor?

Thanks a bunch guys. And I believe I'm going to get torn up with this question...
on...
CantStopRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
Pro325ie46

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStopRockin View Post
But I know that BMW engines aren't your run of the mill engines.

And I believe I'm going to get torn up with this question...
on...
Enough said and yea let the roasting begin....
Pro325ie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
SiVaE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
If there is no leak - why risk adding that stuff ? At best I would carry a bottle for emergency roadside repair - but I'm not sure it would fix common leaks from bleed screw, expansion tank etc.
SiVaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #4
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
BMW motors are very much "run of the mill" motors.

Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

If you think that your BMW inline six is somehow more advanced than a similar 6 cylinder from Japan, you are very much mistaken.

With that said, the specific product you've linked to is made for idiots.

If your motor is running perfectly fine, not burning any oil, and not leaking, and you still want to waste money on it, then put some Redline SL-1 into the tank before you fill it up. Maybe run the Liqui-Moly professional idle flush before you change the oil. You could even use Techron, or Gumout All In One, or Amsoil PI instead of the Redline, if you want. You could use a ZDDP or MoS2 additive if you really want to put something in with the new oil.

If you have slow leaks or are burning oil, you could try the Liqui Moly Oil Saver (2020). You could also try a high mileage oil if you have slow leaks or an oil consumption problem.

There's a product, which I've never used, that people on here love, called BG 44K. It's something else you could try.

Mobil 1 0w40 is a very good oil. It no longer carries the BMW LL-01 certification, though. If that bothers you, Castrol Edge 0w40, the mythical "German Castrol," does still carry it. You can buy either one at Walmart. Both are good.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:09 AM   #5
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
at-205 on Amazon is the best
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 AM   #6
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post

Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
Sig'd.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:10 AM   #7
RangerDave

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 217k
Quote:
BMW motors are very much "run of the mill" motors. If you think that your BMW inline six is somehow more advanced than a similar 6 cylinder from Japan, you are very much mistaken.

BMW - Suzuki - Jeep

RangerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #8
Quadcammer

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Mobil 1 0w40 is a very good oil. It no longer carries the BMW LL-01 certification, though. If that bothers you, Castrol Edge 0w40, the mythical "German Castrol," does still carry it. You can buy either one at Walmart. Both are good.
German castrol is 0w-30. the 0w-40 is belgian I believe, but also a good oil.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
El conquistador

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:

If you think that your BMW inline six is somehow more advanced than a similar 6 cylinder from Japan, you are very much mistaken.
Don't forget the unicorn tears.

Yeah, it's a 4 stroke, internal combustion engine.

To the OP, change your oil at regular intervals and don't waste your money on "unicorn tears". I'd have to think the only thing that stuff does is make money for the producer. Just one man's opinion. Your results may vary.
El conquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #10
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Bars Leak Engine Repair on high(er) mileage e46?

Early M54 engines were built with a poorly designed rear main seal. That seal prevents oil from dealing into the clutch/torque converter in the bell housing. Car's with a manual tranny will experience clutch shudder when the oil is dealing into the clutch assembly. The easiest way to fix this is to use a quart of high mileage oil such as Mobil 1 10W40. It apparently has added chemicals that "swell" the seals in the engine.

I definitely disagree with lingon as to the "ordinariness" of BMW engines. There's an engineering group that assesses the current batch of auto engines. BMW regularly receives an "engine of the year" award for or or more of its engines. The M54 engine received several awards from different engineering associations and groups.

There's nothing like the sound of a Ferrari V12 or a BMW in-line 6 engine!

Last edited by markusmarkus; 09-20-2016 at 09:08 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #11
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Early M54 engines were built with a poorly designed rear main seal. That seal prevents oil from dealing into the clutch/torque converter in the bell housing. Car's with a manual tranny will experience clutch shudder when the oil is dealing into the clutch assembly. The easiest way to fix this is to use a quart of high mileage oil such as Mobil 1 10W40. It apparently has added chemicals that "swell" the seals in the engine.

I definitely disagree with lingon as to the "ordinariness" of BMW engines. There's an engineering group that assesses the current batch of auto engines. BMW regularly receives an "engine of the year" award for or or more of its engines. The M54 engine received several awards from different engineering associations and groups.

There's nothing like the sound of a Ferrari V12 or a BMW in-line 6 engine!

My point isn't that BMW engines are poorly made. It's that BMW engines are no more advanced than many other engines out there. They're more advanced than a pushrod V8 in a pickup truck, but they're not more advanced than the motors in the common Toyotas and Hondas you see everywhere. Many engines receive awards each year. (But the M54 actually IS a poorly made motor in a few ways: VANOS seals, and oil burning as a common issue.)

My engine sound hierarchy:

Italian V-12 /American V-8

German inline 6

Everything else should have a nice, quiet exhaust so the engine doesn't make any noise.

The Liqui-Moly oil saver is supposed to be one of, or the best, of the oil additives for seal conditioning. High mileage oils mostly have the same additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
German castrol is 0w-30. the 0w-40 is belgian I believe, but also a good oil.
0w30 is the original, magical, mythical, German Castrol that you read about on all the forums going back almost 15 years. The current Edge 0w40 (black bottle, "European Formula") is a similar formula, also made in Germany, that's slightly thicker at operating temp.

You can see the "made in Germany" here, if you zoom in on the back of the bottle: https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101.../dp/B00JGQLZSU

Last edited by lingon300k; 09-20-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
That stuff doesn't work. That the stuff was made for idiots is a correct statement, no offense intended to the OP, who has been using it as prevention? What? That Bars Leaks garbage is a poor substitute for a proper repair, and under no circumstances will it prevent any wear or damage from happening in any event period. OP you have truly wasted both your money and your time with the stuff. Proper regular maintenance should be all that any car needs The End. Also goes for the crap they sell to plug radiators. Which is exactly what it does, along with everything else in the cooling system. Derp.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
You may ask, does my car need ENGINE REPAIR? No.
Than why use it? Why even consider it? My engine has 248,300 miles on it and uses 1 qt of oil every 1K miles (2 weeks for me) and I would not even consider this stuff.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
330ciprem

My Ride: 2006 330ci 6sp Man
Quote:

With that said, the specific product you've linked to is made for idiots.

If your motor is running perfectly fine, not burning any oil, and not leaking, and you still want to waste money on it, then put some Redline SL-1 into the tank before you fill it up. Maybe run the Liqui-Moly professional idle flush before you change the oil. You could even use Techron, or Gumout All In One, or Amsoil PI instead of the Redline, if you want. You could use a ZDDP or MoS2 additive if you really want to put something in with the new oil.

If you have slow leaks or are burning oil, you could try the Liqui Moly Oil Saver (2020). You could also try a high mileage oil if you have slow leaks or an oil consumption problem.

There's a product, which I've never used, that people on here love, called BG 44K. It's something else you could try.

Did the Liqui Moly 2020 additive work for you? Did it reduce the oil consumption in anyway?

PS- Sorry for hijacking an old thread.
330ciprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I always just thought it was the dual mass flywheel being worn out that caused this shudder. I've had those symptoms for all 7 years of my vehicle ownership.

Car did leak oil from the OFHG, but never needed an oil top up before or after i replaced that gasket.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
lingon300k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciprem View Post
Did the Liqui Moly 2020 additive work for you? Did it reduce the oil consumption in anyway?

PS- Sorry for hijacking an old thread.
I didn't use it in this car. But it has worked for me in the past. It completely stopped consumption in one car, and completely stopped external leaks in another.

Tags
325, bars leak, engine oil, repair, xi