ICV will not come out. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Frogblaster77

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
ICV will not come out.

Hi all.

2001 325Ci, very likely to be the Euro version, not US.

I'm trying to do a throttle body and ICV clean, but the car is so old that everything is stuck. The ICV will not come out. I've removed the two Torx bolts and disconnected the electrical clip. Am I forgetting something? In every video, people just pull the ICV out with zero force. I've been at this for two days now and nothing is working. Lower boot was also stuck, I was very close to cutting it off with shears.

Any help is appreciated.
Frogblaster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
iowna330xi

My Ride: 323i Turbo
Get some spray silicone. It works wonders against rubber items like the seal that holds the icv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
It is held into place by a large grommet, pull it straight out with a little muscle.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Quadcammer

My Ride: 2000 328i
wiggle a bit and try squirting a small amount of dish soap on it and wiggle some more.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
On this subject of ICV/IAC Valves - what is the expected life expectancy? My car threw me a 'P1500 Idle-Speed Control Valve Stuck Open'. My car has 135k miles.

Remove and clean or replace?
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
iowna330xi

My Ride: 323i Turbo
Mainly just clean it. Lots of carbon can build up in the back of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
iowna330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
I've tried taking mine out before and was met with so much resistance that I just left it.

I'm going to try again in a month or so while doing the ccv again, I bought a new grommet so I can replace that if I destroy it trying to take the ICV out.

From what I've read, just clean it well and put back in, pretty expensive part to replace since it hardly fails.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
...just clean it well and put back in, pretty expensive part to replace since it hardly fails.
OEM is about $150, non-OEM is about $30. Makes a person what the difference is.

Still hoping someone chimes in and says that replacement after 100k miles is recommended, not that I want to spend money but an expected lifetime would be nice. I'm sure mine has never been off the car and is probably quite dirty.

Last edited by All2kool; 11-10-2016 at 07:31 PM.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Mine works fine after 145k. I just pulled it out and cleaned it, wasn't even very dirty. I can think of better things to spend $130 on, and $30 on an aftermarket ICV would be $30 wasted. You have to pull it anyway if you were going to replace it so why not just clean it with throttle body cleaner and reinstall it. Got money burning a hole in your pocket? Buy a new grommet.

Tags
help a noob, icv, throttle body