E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
NC_E46

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i (E46)
Vibration throughout car in Acceleration/Idle

Hey all,

I currently own a 2000 E46 and I have just recently (4 days ago) began experiencing some vibrations throughout the car upon acceleration. To go more in depth, the problem occurs when I accelerate, and continues while idling at a less severe vibration. This is not just the steering wheel vibrating, but the entire car. I have noticed that this problem doesn't always occur from startup, but occurs about 5-20 mins into the drive. I have realized that if I turn the car off once the vibrations begin to occur and let it sit for 30 secs, the vibrations will cease after starting it up again, but will occur again after 5 mins. I do not know if this would play into anything, but this car is manual transmission. Also, the temperature has just began to fall, so cold weather could possibly play into this? I looked upon other similar forums and I noticed a CV joint could be a possibility?

I appreciate suggestions and advice!
NC_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
rlordjr

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Giubo?
rlordjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
NC_E46

@rlordjr Guibo looked fine when getting under the car. If it is the guibo I hate to do it but I would have to bring it in to the dealer to make sure the weight is correct, might cost me a fortune though
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_E46 View Post
@rlordjr Guibo looked fine when getting under the car. If it is the guibo I hate to do it but I would have to bring it in to the dealer to make sure the weight is correct, might cost me a fortune though
Replacing the Giubo is actually pretty easy, though you have to get under the car. The only issue is removing the exhaust flange bolts. The Giubo is not a visual inspection item, as it can break down without obvious signs of wear. How many miles do you have?

There are a lot of wear items that can result in vibration, including tires, bushings and mounts, as well as the giubo and center support bearing.

Look here:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...check-t125342/

I would be concerned that you are not interested in replacing the Giubo. Have you refreshed your suspension yet? This will get VERY expensive if you go to a dealer to do it.

Last edited by Archbid; 11-10-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
NC_E46

@Archbid

The car is @ 214,450K miles on it, so a decent amount. We (My father and I) replaced the giubo last fall as we repaired a subframe crack upon the car. I would expect a newly repaired giubo to perform well, but it could very much be the giubo. Only problem is, I am now about 150 miles away at college, and have no way of getting under the car unless i bring it in to a shop Also, we lowered the car 1.5 inches while repairing the subframe crack. Put Megan racing springs on it, made the ride a lot harder, almost feels like a rally car

Last edited by NC_E46; 11-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #6
mleindek

My Ride: 2009 X5
Taking a wild guess here, how are your engine mounts? Does the vibration happens in neutral also? It changes something if you press the clutch?
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Also, replace the tranny mounts. They're cheap.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
NC_E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleindek View Post
Taking a wild guess here, how are your engine mounts? Does the vibration happens in neutral also? It changes something if you press the clutch?
It does do it in neutral, haven't checked engine mounts yet but it's something I'll look into. Doesn't really change much when I press the clutch down though
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
NC_E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Also, replace the tranny mounts. They're cheap.
I'll look into it!

Tags
cv joint, manual transmission, vibration