E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
big_boss

My Ride: E46 3-Series
Diagnosis/Help Needed: Misfiring...Terrible Engine Rumble

Hello Guys. I need your sage assistance. It's a little long winded but I know every little detail adds to a diagnosis.

Vehicle Information:
2001 E46
1.9L M43 Engine(M43B19)
174,950 KM

Brief History:

For the past 3 weeks my check engine light came on and my car developed a rough idle on a cold start but after about 2-3 minutes of driving and the car warmed up, the car idled and drove fine. However, over the last week, the car started developing a much rougher idle on startup. Every morning when I start the car, if I didn't give some light throttle for the first 5-7 minutes, the car would stall/cut off(even while driving). It should be noted that the car then ran fine after it warmed up.

I have a PA Soft scan tool so I decided yesterday to plug it in to view the codes. The DME results are posted below.

DME -> AB/D1 - Check, fuel supply system
8D/D1 - Oxygen-sensor control, control limit
94/D1 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, cylinder 4
9B/81 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, total
Shadow-memory:
AB/D1 - Check, fuel supply system
8D/D1 - Oxygen-sensor control, control limit
94/D1 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, cylinder 4
9B/81 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, total
7E/00 - Signal, CAN ASC
82/00 - Signal, CAN IKE
83/00 - Signal, road speed
98/00 - ECU self-test, E2PROM emulation
9C/00 - Misfire with cylinder cutout at cylinder 1
9D/00 - Misfire with cylinder cutout at cylinder 2
9E/00 - Misfire with cylinder cutout at cylinder 3
9F/00 - Misfire with cylinder cutout at cylinder 4
A0/00 - Misfire with cylinder cutout, total

I cleared those errors, and the check engine light went away. The entire day, the car ran fine, there were a few light rough idles but the car ran noticebly fine. The check engine light stayed off the entire day. However it returned later that night and the rough idles came back.

This is the kicker though, the next day (this morning), upon cold starting the car, the car immediately stalled as usual but when i applied throttle there was this noticebale misfiring and rumbling as if the car was running on 3 cylinders. I drove the car about 1 mile and then the check engine light started to blink (didn't know it could do that). I immediately stopped the car and ran a scan and pulled the following errors from the DME.

DME -> A0/51 - Misfire with cylinder cutout, total
9B/51 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, total
Shadow-memory:
A0/51 - Misfire with cylinder cutout, total
9B/51 - Misfire relevant to exhaust gas, total
6E/00 - Activation, A/C compressor
70/00 - Activation, DISA valve
71/00 - Activation, tank-venting valve
72/00 - Activation, suction-jet-pump valve
73/00 - Activation, map cooling
7D/00 - Signal, oxygen sensor before cat.conv.
7E/00 - Signal, CAN ASC
82/00 - Signal, CAN IKE
83/00 - Signal, road speed
89/00 - Signal, knock sensor 1
8A/00 - Signal, knock sensor 2
8B/00 - Signal, oxygen sensor after cat.conv.
8C/00 - DME - EWS 3.3 interface

I cleared those but to no avail. The car now had severely limited power and a noticeable rumble. I basically drove to my mechanic where he hooked up his own scan tool to the car. His scan tool picked up that there was a misfire on cylinder 3. He checked all the spark plugs and they all had spark. He also cleaned the ICV (upon my behest). I also wanted him to clean the MAF sensor but he was adamant that the issue is the Ignition Coil Pack. We also unplugged the MAF Sensor and there was no change. The same symptoms. The car also has a noticeable hiss coming from the area highlighted in the picture.

Note: I pulled this picture off the internet; it is not my engine.

The car has increasingly got a much worse rumble now and is completely undriveable with the entire engine rumbling. Can anyone help with a diagnosis?
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
Have you checked all boots and intake for leaks? Sounds like a huge vacuum leak.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
big_boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
Have you checked all boots and intake for leaks? Sounds like a huge vacuum leak.
I was adamant that there is a HUGE hidden vaccum leak somewhere but my mechanic is also adamant that the issue is the Ignition Coil Pack. He explained that since there is a misfire on cylinder 3(which his scan tool pulled at the time), that back pressure is being created hence the noticeable hiss.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
big_boss

Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
Any suggestions?
Label the coil packs then swap #3 coil with a different cylinder. See if the error follows the coil.

if it doesn't move maybe faulty wiring?

However, the first answer you're going to get from this board is vacuum leak.

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #6
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Check your voltages. Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltage as seen by the computer. If you don't have at turn signal stalk with the button at the end you can uses a digital multimeter to monitor voltages. Either way, check and report back the voltage when the:
- ignition is in the "run" position with the engine off
- engine idling
- engine revving at 2000rpm.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil, ignition, maf, misfire, stall