E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
JayPLK

My Ride: 330Ci
Issue with Side Mirror

Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver’s side mirror and doesn’t move the passenger side mirror.

In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse – I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

The car has power folding mirrors and electric memory seats.

Has anyone else had this issue – my initial thoughts it’s a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

I have searched for this scenario but cannot find any other threads on it

Thanks
JayPLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPLK View Post
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver's side mirror and doesn't move the passenger side mirror.

In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse - I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

Has anyone else had this issue - my initial thoughts it's a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

Thanks
My best guess would indeed be a switch. Being that you have 2 separate issues (right side adjust and tilt) tells me the switch is not switching. The switch is the common denominator between the 2 symptoms. I believe the switch is not sending the message of right side command via K-Bus. I am by no means an expert but that is the first thing to try. The switch isn't that expensive, I think around $50.00.

https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/E46_Outside_Mirrors.htm

Last edited by Overboost; 12-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Question for you JayPLK. Can you activate the memory button on your seat? Press it and see if it lights up? If it doesn't you may have a ribbon cable problem on your mirrors.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Post 58 and 59.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1098639&page=3

Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The commands for the passenger mirror go through the control module for the driver's mirror. That's why both mirrors are moving at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 01' 330ci-96' FZJ80
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
The commands for the passenger mirror go through the control module for the driver's mirror. That's why both mirrors are moving at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
he says it doesn't move the passenger mirror, just the drivers side in either selection........
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 01' 330ci-96' FZJ80
Quote:

In addition to this the passenger side mirror dips when engaging reverse – I cannot turn this off when toggling the side switch...

passenger side does indeed dip when drivers mirror is engaged, so I would lean towards the switch being bad since if passenger side is selected it should NOT dip and yours does so its as if it does not see the switch being passenger side selected at all.
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
JayPLK

My Ride: 330Ci
Thanks all - Ill check the memory seats lights and try a new mirror switch to see if that resolved it. Will keep you posted.
JayPLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Hi all,

I currently have a 2005 E46 330ci which has developed an odd problem. The side mirror switch fully works adjusting the driver side mirror. I then flip the switch to adjust the passenger side and it continues adjusting the driver’s side mirror and doesn’t move the passenger side mirror.

Has anyone else had this issue – my initial thoughts it’s a faulty switch but before I spend $$$ just wanted to check if it could be something else.

Thanks
You need to replace the switch that moves the mirror. I forget how it is constructed, but I think that the joystick and selector switch are a unit, you have to replace the unit. Use a small screwdriver to carefully lift the unit out of the door handle, the wires will come up with it. Simply unplug the connector and plug the new switch in, then set it back into the door handle.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, fault, memory, mirror, side