E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #21
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
Replace your steering column intermediate shaft and guibo. You will thank me.
Can you give me some reasoning or link? Steering guibo was replaced but I would love to know your thinking about the steering column
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
Clovett

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I've probably had 4-5 alignments through this ordeal. I just didn't want to list them all since they all ended the same
Forgive my obvious stupidity, but you still have not answered the question I asked because you appear to know what it is already. Wait...you don't.

The question wasn't if you had multiple alignments

The question wasn't if they all ended the same

The question was did you get an alignment when you originally replaced control arm bushings and the issue begin.

I know this may seem like an anal point but you asked people to think outside of the box. Don't try to put my process in your box.

And if the answer is yes, that you got an alignment at the same time you changed your control arm bushings and you have had the issue since

Did you get all those multiple alignments/inspections at the same shop?
Clovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #23
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Can you give me some reasoning or link? Steering guibo was replaced but I would love to know your thinking about the steering column
New universal joints in the intermediate shaft will help if your steering knocks over bumps.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #24
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovett View Post
Forgive my obvious stupidity, but you still have not answered the question I asked because you appear to know what it is already. Wait...you don't.

The question wasn't if you had multiple alignments

The question wasn't if they all ended the same

The question was did you get an alignment when you originally replaced control arm bushings and the issue begin.

I know this may seem like an anal point but you asked people to think outside of the box. Don't try to put my process in your box.

And if the answer is yes, that you got an alignment at the same time you changed your control arm bushings and you have had the issue since

Did you get all those multiple alignments/inspections at the same shop?

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to put your thinking to rest, I just didn't know what you were doing with he information so I gave a simpler answer. The problem was immediately after install, before an alignment, and has persisted at varying levels ever since. Same shop each time, arguably the best in my area. The only thing checked by other shops was the wheel balance. Each of my rims has been checked about 3 times

TM
Old 02-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #25
Osh

My Ride: 2000 E46 330i
Do you have slotted rotors at the back?

Couldn't the ABS operation have an adverse effect on vibrational frequencies if you've changed the surface area of your rotors up the front?

Wouldn't the ABS be working just as normal but with less/more surface area to work with up front thus causing the problem?

I'm new so I dont know how long it's been happening for but if it's been a while I'd compare your front brake pads to the back ones - could they provide some clues?

Are you sure the grinding is a sign of the problem and not a symptom or biproduct of the problem?

Just throwing ideas out...

Last edited by Osh; 02-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Osh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #26
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Steering rack bolted tightly to chassis?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
zemprofils

My Ride: 320
Read all, but didn't saw that you mentioned what e46 it is. And also brand off front rotors? Does it wobbles when driving normally, when you just going straight?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited by zemprofils; 02-04-2017 at 03:24 PM.
zemprofils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #28
Clovett

My Ride: 330ci
Based on everything I've read in this thread

You may be correct that when you take the wheels off it, the problem seems to temporarily go away or at least change.

That being said, if it were me, I'd at least rotate the wheels front to back unless they are staggered and see if the problem moves. If they are staggered temporarily swap the front from left to right. Don't leave them that way or they will probably separate.

It sounds like the problem was already there but with the control arm bushings worn out it didn't manifest until you installed new ones and tightened up that part of your steering.
Clovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #29
mrich777

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 Vert
So I had a similar issue with what started as a broken spring on my wife's 2006 passat that ended up being 2500k worth of suspension parts only to have it still make the odd noise and ride like ****. Everything that had been replaced was at about 80k and factory original and worn as hell. But the car wasnt noisy and rode a little rough. Never was right again. Also happened on my old 10YO minivan with about 75K. First the shocks and Springs because they were bottoming out, then the sway bar bushing got noisy after that repair. On old cars with evenly worn original suspension components replacing a single set of bushings or shocks or other single component throws out the stasis that the old sloppy suuspension 'system' had settled into. It may have been worn and crappy, but each component was used to the evenly worn geometry between components. My new philosophy: Don't touch anything on suspension unless something breaks on my M3. Wish I could solve, but fear you are already down the rabbit hole. If it were me, I'd sell and buy a newer less used car. This is possibly an endless drain that could lead to you spending more than the car is worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app
mrich777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #30
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh View Post
Do you have slotted rotors at the back?

Couldn't the ABS operation have an adverse effect on vibrational frequencies if you've changed the surface area of your rotors up the front?

Wouldn't the ABS be working just as normal but with less/more surface area to work with up front thus causing the problem?

I'm new so I dont know how long it's been happening for but if it's been a while I'd compare your front brake pads to the back ones - could they provide some clues?

Are you sure the grinding is a sign of the problem and not a symptom or biproduct of the problem?

Just throwing ideas out...
This has been happening for 6 months. Backs are blanks. The brand is R1 concepts. I hate them with a burning passion. I feel like ABS would only have an affect when it is engaged. Front to backs are wearing fairly evenly. What grinding? I hear an atrocious noise under braking, but that's it. The grinding is what I hear is a symptom of a bad wheel bearing. I do not have any grinding and there are no noises when not braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
Yes sir, double checked by a hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemprofils View Post
Read all, but didn't saw that you mentioned what e46 it is. And also brand off front rotors? Does it wobbles when driving normally, when you just going straight?
Coupe, 328Ci. R1 Concepts rotors, PCF-Z pads. wobbles cruising, turning, braking, as long as I'm at speed. Archbid, Skylord, and a third user have all driven it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovett View Post
Based on everything I've read in this thread

You may be correct that when you take the wheels off it, the problem seems to temporarily go away or at least change.

That being said, if it were me, I'd at least rotate the wheels front to back unless they are staggered and see if the problem moves. If they are staggered temporarily swap the front from left to right. Don't leave them that way or they will probably separate.

It sounds like the problem was already there but with the control arm bushings worn out it didn't manifest until you installed new ones and tightened up that part of your steering.
I'm staggered. No change moving left and right, forgot to share that. I have swapped wheels with a couple people. I agree that the FCAB's are trying to show me something, but I haven't found it yet!

Any tests people want me to run?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #31
YoitsTmac

Missed these posts too. Not sure how
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
It might sound like you are the factor. Do you do pulse braking, or drive in traffic a lot? Do you have a heavy foot in both stop and go? I've heard that inconsistent braking pressure can create uneven surface tension on the rotors. I suspect rotors, pads, and you from what you have explained.

At some point you should have stopped replacing things like control arms, and camber plates with expectations of fixing a wobble. That stuff has to be really bad to have been the culprit, and normally easy to identify as bad.

Good luck
I've swapped pads and rotors but the problem has persisted. My casters were off, so I may try swapping again when I'm with my friend again. I almost feel like my rotors have lost (or never had) balance. Thanks for wishing me luck! I need it. I didn't do camber plates to fix the wobble, it was a good deal! New parts. I also am not heavy footed in braking in my day to day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Have you had someone at a BMW shop test drive the car?
I second the advice above to switch to OEM parts if possible.
More about the direction the noise and vibraton are coming from?
Caliper issues? Front left or right disc getting warmer than the one on the oposite side?
What should I be switching to OEM? Caliper temperature is consistent. I can try again later today
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #32
Osh

My Ride: 2000 E46 330i
I presume your ABS and wheel sensors are in good working order or could they be faulty for some reason? Silly question, but, have you run diagnostics to see if you get any errors since the problem has started?

Can you also disconnect the wheel sensors to physically test the system? I'm not sure if removing the fuses would work or is even a good idea - I'm new to BMW's but still thought I'd try and help

Could these things be having an adverse affect on your transmission/torque converter which is why you seem to have a small problem that gets worse under braking?

Last edited by Osh; 02-04-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Osh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #33
Dude8383

My Ride: 91 332iS, 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post

Did you double check your rack bolts?
Dude8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #34
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osh View Post
I presume your ABS and wheel sensors are in good working order or could they be faulty for some reason? Silly question, but, have you run diagnostics to see if you get any errors since the problem has started?

Can you also disconnect the wheel sensors to physically test the system? I'm not sure if removing the fuses would work or is even a good idea - I'm new to BMW's but still thought I'd try and help

Could these things be having an adverse affect on your transmission/torque converter which is why you seem to have a small problem that gets worse under braking?
I think ABS/speed sensors (same sensor, right?) can potentially break upon removal. I saw a bunch of threads where people got part of it ripped off in the process when I had to replace my rear ones. I also have no errors in PA soft in the ABS computer. I also have no errors in my transmission according to PA soft. The wobble increases with more weight on the front axle, so I'm fairly confident the issue is there. That and the wobble decreased without the roll bar (prior to my last alignment), so I might remove it again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude8383 View Post
Did you double check your rack bolts?
I checked them at 2:30AM and at 10:30AM (after sleep), and then my friend checked too. I'll check them again tomorrow for you guys. I will also remove my roll bar to see if I can learn something about one side

ON MY TO DO LIST TOMORROW

-remove roll bar (to potentially isolate a side)
-swap sides of rotors
-check rack bolts
-check noise for spinning rotor w/o pads on

Anything else guys?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 02-05-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:05 AM   #35
SaberLily

My Ride: 2001 325xi
All the problems started at control arm bushings. That's where they lie. Either you didn't install the bushing properly with dish soap or you received defective bushings.
SaberLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 AM   #36
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberLily View Post
All the problems started at control arm bushings. That's where they lie. Either you didn't install the bushing properly with dish soap or you received defective bushings.
Worn parts can absorb any "abrasive" side effects of other warn parts. By taking the play out of the FCAB's when I bought new ones, another issue showed itself. I have gone through three sets of FCAB's, and have had two people check my current installation. Both said it was fine. I am currently even on genuine BMW bushings
Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 AM   #37
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
I bet you can't solve this: Need thinking outside the box

Post some pics of your rotors for me. Please make sure they are in good light and hi res. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 02-05-2017 at 04:47 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #38
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Post some pics of your rotors for me. Please make sure they are in good light and hi res. Thanks

This is one I took after a 150 mile road trip. I noticed a chunk of pad in one of the veins so I took a photo. It's closeup and lighting is good. Let me know if you need something better. I plan on getting under the car tomorrow

TM

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 02-05-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #39
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
I bet you can't solve this: Need thinking outside the box

Yea was hoping to be able to see the whole rotor. I think I know what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 02-05-2017 at 04:52 AM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #40
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Yea was hoping to be able to see the whole rotor. I think I know what's going on.

Fair enough. I'll take a few tomorrow while testing for bearing noise. Just outside faces okay?

Tags
steering, suspension issues, wobble