E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
Jay_Ezell

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
What can I expect with mods?

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and to owning a bmw. I've only had v8 trucks in the past so owning a bmw, or car in general, is new to me. I have a 2003 BMW 330i ZHP and have a few quick questions. I've heard power gains are a bit challenging with these cars versus v8's so how much power can I expect to gain with a borla catback exhaust system, afe air intake system and active autowerke software/ shark injector? What other benefits would I gain from this setup? Any recommendations? I already have KW V1 coilover suspension, ESR wheels, rear negative camber kit, angel eye headlight kit with HID fogs, and pretty decent contential tires but I want some toyos or maybe nittos. Any feedback would be awesome and glad to be a part of the forum!!!
Jay_Ezell is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
A waste in my opinion. Get the intake and exhaust if you want to change the sound of the car. Personally tires/suspension/weight reduction is where it's at
Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
I'm not much into modifications, but the consensus I've seen among the more reliable people here is that headers are the best upgrade to make if you already have a 330, and people with 325s will often add headers with the 330 intake. The Shark Injector seems to be a good modification as well.

Cold air intakes don't do much, and in many cases will result in less horsepower.

Congrats on the new car!

Last edited by lingon300k; 02-23-2017 at 07:54 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
I'm not much into modifications, but the consensus I've seen among the more reliable people here is that headers are the best upgrade to make if you already have a 330, and people with 325s will often add headers with the 330 intake. The Shark Injector seems to be a good modification as well.

Cold air intakes don't do much, and in many cases will result in less horsepower.

Congrats on the new car!
Why is it that they lose power with air intakes? I've always been taught more air in and out equals more power?? But headers are a good idea though to pair with the borla!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Ezell View Post
Why is it that they lose power with air intakes? I've always been taught more air in and out equals more power?? But headers are a good idea though to pair with the borla!
Stock Air intake is already cold air intake, so there no real gains with aftermarket. Most aftermarket kits are short ram intakes so youre eliminating the 2nd snorkel that the stock airbox uses by the headlight. Performance between the 2 are negligible and at highway speeds theyre probably the same

Last edited by ElrichMeister; 02-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.
ElrichMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrichMeister View Post
Stock Air intake is already cold air intake, so there no real gains with aftermarket. Most aftermarket kits are short ram intakes so youre eliminating the 2nd snorkel that the stock airbox uses by the headlight. Performance between the 2 are negligible and at highway speeds theyre probably the same
Hmmm good to know maybe I won't waste money on one then lol so stock isn't more restrictive? afe has a lot of nerve boasting a 15hp gain on their air intake system lmfao any thoughts of software (shark injector, Active autowerke, ect)?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
When it comes to the intake i think of it as the stock one takes air from the front grills(outside air) then most of these "cold air" intake replace the air box and take warm air from inside the engine bay. How is that a "cold" air intake?
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Jason325xi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason325xi View Post
When it comes to the intake i think of it as the stock one takes air from the front grills(outside air) then most of these "cold air" intake replace the air box and take warm air from inside the engine bay. How is that a "cold" air intake?
This is what I originally had in mind, I've seen mostly good reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	650685  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
lingon300k

Quote:
Why is it that they lose power with air intakes? I've always been taught more air in and out equals more power??
The different set up can screw with the MAF sensor and mess with the computer.

The other question is whether or not the aftermarket intake actually provides more or colder air. Most do not.

My biggest problem with them, though, even in the rare cases where they actually provide some small benefit, is due to the poor filtering ability of the foam and oiled cotton filter media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason325xi View Post
This is another problem with many of them. The Dinan, at least, runs a pipe down near the wheel.

Quote:
afe has a lot of nerve boasting a 15hp gain on their air intake system
This is definitely bull****. You might get 1-5 hp from the best intake.

Last edited by lingon300k; 02-23-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
The different set up can screw with the MAF sensor and mess with the computer.

The other question is whether or not the aftermarket intake actually provides more or colder air. Most do not.

My biggest problem with them, though, even in the rare cases where they actually provide some small benefit, is due to the poor filtering ability of the foam and oiled cotton filter media.

This is another problem with many of them. The Dinan, at least, runs a pipe down near the wheel.

This is definitely bull****. You might get 1-5 hp from the best intake.
Thanks for all the helpful info!! If anything I may just save up for a supercharger later on down the road but for now I'll just do headers, cat back exhaust and maybe software and just keep the stock air intake!!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
lingon300k

Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful info!! If anything I may just save up for a supercharger later on down the road but for now I'll just do headers, cat back exhaust and maybe software and just keep the stock air intake!!
Probably not worth the price at all, but this one, from BMW, is pretty good, and has a good filter.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FdOKswodj-QBHg
Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Check out Dinan
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #13
Rogue Pyro

My Ride: 2003 325i
The only reason I got a CAI was because my oem box got damaged when my expansion tank exploded. I would never spend the 200 bucks or whatever it was if my box was fine. I noticed NO difference in power. The only upgrade is more pronounced induction noise, which I quite like. Also, strangely, my exhaust note got deeper.

If you want more power consider headers, most people claim 15-20 hp, but you'll be running catless which is most likely illegal in your state. You'll also get a CEL if you don't have a proper tune. If you're considering an exhaust then you probably shouldn't get headers. Your car will be stupid loud.

The shark injector is pretty worthless, you might be able to get 10 hp out of it. Not worth it in my opinion.

If you want a noticeable bump in power consider getting a 3.46 final drive diff (if you have a manual). Your gears will be approx 15% shorter. The poor mans supercharger.

If you seriously want more power you have to go forced induction. Turbo kits start at like $5k.

Here is a more detailed explanation for hp mods.

Looks like you're pretty setup with suspension. I would consider replacing your front control arm bushings, tie rods, and rear bushings if they have over 50,000 miles on them. Get an alignment if you haven't had one in a couple years.
Rogue Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #14
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
Probably not worth the price at all, but this one, from BMW, is pretty good, and has a good filter.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FdOKswodj-QBHg
Whoa that's a bit pricey lol yeah not worth it
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
Jay_Ezell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Pyro View Post
The only reason I got a CAI was because my oem box got damaged when my expansion tank exploded. I would never spend the 200 bucks or whatever it was if my box was fine. I noticed NO difference in power. The only upgrade is more pronounced induction noise, which I quite like. Also, strangely, my exhaust note got deeper.

If you want more power consider headers, most people claim 15-20 hp, but you'll be running catless which is most likely illegal in your state. You'll also get a CEL if you don't have a proper tune. If you're considering an exhaust then you probably shouldn't get headers. Your car will be stupid loud.

The shark injector is pretty worthless, you might be able to get 10 hp out of it. Not worth it in my opinion.

If you want a noticeable bump in power consider getting a 3.46 final drive diff (if you have a manual). Your gears will be approx 15% shorter. The poor mans supercharger.

If you seriously want more power you have to go forced induction. Turbo kits start at like $5k.

Here is a more detailed explanation for hp mods.

Looks like you're pretty setup with suspension. I would consider replacing your front control arm bushings, tie rods, and rear bushings if they have over 50,000 miles on them. Get an alignment if you haven't had one in a couple years.
Headers for sure, I'm in Florida you could run straight pipes here and cops usually don't care lol and we don't have vehicle inspections for emissions or anything. But new gears huh? Good idea but I have an automatic, would it make a difference? If so what size gears?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
E46Envyy

My Ride: 04 330ci Auto
Dinan long tube CAI + AEM dry-flow filter.

Butt dyno says ~5whp

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #17
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
FWIW, my friend's S/C ZHP with catless headers and a Borla rep exhaust sounds fantastic. After driving it around all night last weekend, I can say for sure that it's louder than a car with stock exhaust and headers, but not by much and it's certainly not obnoxious even on the freeway. It's got a nice tone now, somewhere between an otherwise stock 330 with an exhaust and an M3 with some rasp to it.

Anyhow, headers are the best power gain, and paired with a proper intake (AFE box or Dinan High Flow) might gain you a little more power and give a great sound. I'd say with a tune, (EU2 or the shark injector, which also raises recline to 7000RPM) intake, exhaust and headers you could easily be at 220WHP. That's about as good as it gets, and then you're just throwing money at the car to gain minimal power while staying N/A. There's a thread somewhere that has the dyno sheet for a maxed out N/A M54B30 in terms of power.

If you want real power, do everything I mentioned but get a supercharger as well. You won't be as quick as an M3, but you'll be close and probably quicker than an ///M vert.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #18
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Reminder that at this point on most car, maintenance is essentially a power-gaining mod. If you start adding headers, a CAI, etc., you're already starting out with a diminished platform. Look into the likes of the fuel, vacuum, and ignition systems. I guarantee your car isn't making the same amount it left the factory with.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #19
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
Reminder that at this point on most car, maintenance is essentially a power-gaining mod. If you start adding headers, a CAI, etc., you're already starting out with a diminished platform. Look into the likes of the fuel, vacuum, and ignition systems. I guarantee your car isn't making the same amount it left the factory with.
+1

After I replaced my spark plugs the car responded much better to throttle inputs and felt like it pulled harder. Probably gained back a single horsepower from that, lol. I've also heard reports from Fanatics that have replaced fuel delivery systems (cleaned injectors, new filter and pump) have felt increased performance.

It's definitely worth mentioning that it's important to get maintenance up to date before searching for more power.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #20
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
OK, let's cut through the monkey poop (again).

CAIs can certainly work, but most people have NO clue how they work. I'll give you a hint. It has NOTHING to do with cold air. The fact of the matter is, at speed, under-hood temps are virtually ambient. How do I know this? I have had 3 different friends instrument 3 different cars (2 different platforms) with thermocouples and logged the temperature data while driving their cars. In all cases, under-hood temps were withing about 2 of ambient. IOW, zero hp from cold air.

So, how does a CAI actually work? A good one works through resonance tuning, just like a header (NOT smooth airflow in either case - there are other tests to support this). A good CAI is designed with the length determined via dyno testing. I know this because I have some brilliant friends who are automotive engineers, one of whom was a consultant for AEM who used to determine the length of their CAIs on a dyno. They would make a run. Cut a quarter inch off the tube, and run again. Wash, rinse, repeat. Build the CAI at the length that made the most power. Unfortunately, most companies making CAIs have NO clue about this.

The "CAIs" that simply block off part of the engine bay are a total waste of time.

Most exhaust systems make little to no hp these days. FWIW, same with removing or gutting the cats. Modern cats have zero impact on hp or torque. They are all high flow.

ECU tuning tends to deliver fewer and fewer gains. The OEMs aren't stupid, and they know how to exploit the most power, safely. That said, there are gains that can be had in some cases.

Most basic bolt-ons simply lighten your wallet/bank account. That's not to say there aren't gains to be had, but be committed to spending a lot of money to get them.

Most gains will come from places most folks won't spend on a street car - cylinder head modifications and cams.

Without someone engaging in a systematic program in search of power, finding any will be simply a matter of luck for the most part. Given the cost of a set of Schrick cams, it's probably cheaper to do an engine swap. And of course, forced induction is the biggest bang for the buck (just make sure the bang isn't your pistons).

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, 330i zhp performance mods, mods, performance, zhp