E46 no start issue after expansion tank repair - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
3mbyrd

My Ride: 2004 325ci
E46 no start issue after expansion tank repair

Hi all

So I have been having some issues w my 2004 BMW 325ci

TL;Dr I replaced a fuel pump and expansion tank. I tried to start the car with the maf and air box disconnected. Resulting in a no start/crank.

It started when the car stalled and started back up after a few turns. A couple days later it stalled out and wouldn't start back up. I had it towed to a mechanic that said it was the fuel pump and also my radiator light is on due to a hole in the upper radiator hose. I replaced the hose and the fuel pump myself w no issue. However I must've filled the radiator fluid too much because a few drives later I heard a pop and gushing out coolant.

I bought a new expansion tank and moved the car to the end of the driveway to repair it. The car started even though it was loosing or had lost lots of fluid.

The expansion tank came in and I got to work removing the air box. I realized that's as far as I wanted to go before lifting the car up.

The next day I tried to start the car to move it to even ground but forgot I completely removed the air box and maf sensor. The car barely started and then sputtered out and I realized it might be due to the disconnected air box and sensor. So I left the car as is and replaced the expansion tank. When I reconnected everything the car still wasn't starting. I rechecked the fuel pump to make sure nothing was loose. And then a no start/crank turned into a clicking noise. So then I tried to jump it and it almost got started and then sputtered out. A few more tries and it seemed like it was loosing power and went back to the clicking noise again.

Anybody have any clue as to what's going on here? Please help._a_
3mbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
tommy d

My Ride: 2005 330i
What is the voltage on the battery?
Also please bleed the cooling system properly so you don't have further cooling issues...
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #3
doge

My Ride: 330i
Also check the sensors near that area they could have got fluid on them. Think it's the thermostat sensors and the one on the lower hose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using E46Fanatics mobile app
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
SHALANG

My Ride: BMW 330I
This is a simple problem. Check the intake hoses and be sure they are connected snug. If the hose is off you will get the symptom you are experiencing, car starts but then RPM immediately drops and it stalls.

If you don't want to put the air box on yet, remove the MAF from the box (two clips) and put it into the intake hose and clamp it. Try now.

Based on what you stated, the clicking noise means battery. If it started with a jump start then that means your battery is notmproviding enough power. Probably got drained after multiple attempts. Also recheck that the connections on the battery are tight (no movement whatsoever). BMW is really picky about this. Recharge or replace.

Last edited by SHALANG; 03-25-2017 at 01:22 PM.
SHALANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
3mbyrd

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I'm wondering if the sensors got fluid in them then why would it start when I moved it to the end of the driveway?

I'm thinking it has more to do with the maf so I'll go through all that again and report back.

Thanks for the replies
3mbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
click, crank no catch, fuel pump, maf, no start