E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
dml5055

My Ride: 330i ZHP
DIFU Manual Transmission Fill Bolt xpost

Did I F Up?

I was changing the fluid in my 04' ZHP manual transmission and was torquing the bolts down to 44 ft/lbs as I read in another thread. The drain bolt was fine and torqued normally but the fill bolt went loose before the torque wrench clicked. I pulled the bolt back out to inspect the threads and they seem to be ok. The bolt is a 8MM Hex bolt. this is my drain plug.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/23117531356/

is that one aluminum or steel? It's hard to check the fill hole threads as it's a tight space.

Anyway I put the bolt back in and screwed it in as best as possible and it doesn't seem the be leaking overnight.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by dml5055; 05-16-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: new url
dml5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Honestly, that doesn't sound very good to me. You'd have to use a mirror or something to check the threads for sure though.

I checked what i have written down for the torque specs for those and this is what i have(picture below).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_111332_HDR.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	655157  
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Last edited by Jason325xi; 05-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
dml5055

If it is stripped, what's potentially the best way to get this fixed? There's not much room to maneuver around.

I feel like i wasn't even close to the torque specs. I just checked the bentley manual and that mentions 37 ft/lbs.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dml5055 View Post
Did I F Up?

I was changing the fluid in my 04' ZHP manual transmission and was torquing the bolts down to 44 ft/lbs as I read in another thread. The drain bolt was fine and torqued normally but the fill bolt went loose before the torque wrench clicked. I pulled the bolt back out to inspect the threads and they seem to be ok. The bolt is a 8MM Hex bolt. this is my drain plug.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/23117531356/

is that one aluminum or steel? It's hard to check the fill hole threads as it's a tight space.

Anyway I put the bolt back in and screwed it in as best as possible and it doesn't seem the be leaking overnight.

What are your thoughts?
That torque seems high but I doubt you'd strip an M18 that easily. What you felt give was probably the 8mm hex head if it wasn't inserted all the way when you exerted the torque. Happens often enough when there's corrosion or dirt in the hex side of the plug.

Easy enough to check, look inside the hex with a good light source. If it looks like it slipped replace it. I wouldn't continue to use that if so.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
dml5055

The bolt is cheap enough that I can just buy a new one. I am concerned about the threads inside the hole. As i was tightening the bolt it was tight and i was torque it then the bolt went loose. The current bolt still seems like it catches the threads but doesn't get tight.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dml5055 View Post
The bolt is cheap enough that I can just buy a new one. I am concerned about the threads inside the hole. As i was tightening the bolt it was tight and i was torque it then the bolt went loose. The current bolt still seems like it catches the threads but doesn't get tight.

Also check the tool itself. Most hex drivers are two piece and may slip when exerting force, particularly the really cheap ones.

If you indeed stripped the hole you would have seen those shavings easily on the M18's threads, but you did not report that.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
dml5055

Nope, I did not see any shavings on the threads of the bolt. They came out clean. It didn't occur for me to check the hex bit. I'll check that when I get home.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
dml5055

I checked the hex bit and it doesn't seem to be slipping after twisting with vice grips. The car doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid either after driving around.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
05SMG

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZSP
I experienced the same situation on my fill bolt. A sudden slip and I thought I had stripped it. My 8mm hex was a little worn to begin with so went to lowes and picked up a Kobalt unit that fit a little tighter. I ended up abandoning the torque wrench and snugged it tight after it bottomed out by hand. Too paranoid about screwing up the plug with a torque wrench. I've driven over 300 miles and constantly checked the bottom of the gearbox for fluid spillage and leaks and it's still dry. Next fluid change I'll be purchasing a new fill bolt and matching a hex for a tighter fit. You should be fine.

Technically 05SSG
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
dml5055

Fixed - I got a new plug and that was all it needed. Thanks!

Tags
manual transmission bolt, zhp