E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #81
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Bosch is OEM. Make sure to get the specific blower to your transmission from factory

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #82
e46grin

My Ride: E46 M3, E46 330i, X5
Had the noise but just dropped $3k on repairs so I went the cheap route - pulled the fan, took it to my bench and using picks payed the fan covering off. There was some dirt in their that was easily shaken out then I hit the openings to the inside of the fan with a few shots of lithium grease. That was 2 weeks ago and the noise is still gone. Bought myself a little time before spending more $$ on this money pit.
e46grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #83
ThreeM30s

My Ride: e28, e34. e46
Loving my e46, but all of a sudden a really loud buzz was going on in the dash whenever I started the engine. Thought it was the transmission at first.

Removed the glovebox (RHD car) to find the noise from behind, maybe the speaker, no, maybe the ebox fan (removed and tested, no) low and behold- the (unused) third party cellular phone kit was jammed in the module rack making the noise through the speaker jammed in behind the console near the HVAC unit.

Ripped that terd out, now banished forever, yay!

Gonna replace the ebox fan though, I can just hear it now the glovebox is removed. I gave it a drop of lube on the bearing when I checked it inside for debris, but it was clean. I shouldn't have lubed it tho. before I don't remember it making any noise, and now with the glovebox still out it is very noticeable at startup. No doubt after 15 years it is near death. Maybe I can find a similar motor someplace, but getting something with the same specs might be hard- maybe I can hand-wind/re-wind the coils so it will match the old one's speed... Hmm

Last edited by ThreeM30s; 06-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.
ThreeM30s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #84
ThreeM30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by echung View Post
My 2002 E46 is RHD, I also had the damn noise, so I followed the above procedure----- and found that My E46 did not have the blower fan at all. There is no wire plug connect to the ECU board. The blower cover is behind the passanger side glove box and triming that cannot be easily taken away.
I took away my driver side knee well covering, there is no blower or any duct to ECU. Any Right hand drive fans can help???
The ebox is the same regardless of L or RHD. So it is behind the glovebox, which is where you didn't go. Actually the glovebox is easy to remove. What's harder is the module rack behind it which the ebox fan is beyond- screwed up in a cosy little hole in the firewall.

Last edited by ThreeM30s; 06-04-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #85
ThreeM30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by eso123 View Post
OK - I finally just fixed mine today. Learned a few things. One of which is that this is just a little blower that circulates air through the little "fuse box" electrical box under the hood. Anyway, these blowers are like $150 at the stealership just for the part. Hence I decided to try to repair mine instead. I easily dissassembled the blower unit. Just had to be cautious not to break any of the plastic pieces. I found that the bearings were bad on the little motor inside there, causing the squeaks. Radio Shack motor 273-256 fit right in as a replacement. ($5.79!) Unsoldered the old and soldered in the new. Seems to work fine, but only drove once so far. If it seems to work I'll post some pics and more detail. $6 is much better than $150!

EDIT--The radio shack motor works and is squeak free, but a little too loud or high-speed. Looking for another option now!!
No doubt in the last 5 years you bit the bullet put a whole new one in. But for completeness, I thought I'd put forward the motor info as best I can fathom it:

The original motor in mine was a Johnson Electric low speed, low noise motor. (Not that you'd know it after 15 years!). If I had to choose one the correct one from their website, it'd be a PC200LG-120. Here are the specs:

Application Examples:
Engine Main Cooling

Characteristics:
Low noise and vibration, Long life, Advanced EMC suppression

Specifications:
Dimensions: 24.4 X 46.3 mm
Shaft Diameter: 2.000 mm
Input Voltage: 12.0 V DC
No Load Speed: 2650 rpm
No Load Current: 0.01 A
Nominal Speed: 2104 rpm
Nominal Torque: 1.57 mNm
Nominal Current: 0.05 A
Stall Torque: 7.62 mNm
Stall Current: 0.20 A
Maximum Output Power: 0.53 W
Maximum Efficiency: 55%
Weight: 50 g
Operating Temperature Range: -40 to 85 C
Storage Temperature Range: -40 to 85 C

Performance Data:
No Load Stall Maximum Efficiency Maximum Power Current (A)
0.01 0.20 0.05 0.11

Efficiency (%)
- - 55 66

Output Power (W)
- - 0.35 0.53

Speed (rpm)
2650 - 2104 1325

Torque (mNm)
- 7.62 1.57 3.81

A generic hobby motor like the Radio Shack one mentioned in this thread will be far too fast, let alone noisey. It may even fail to turn (or burn out) when it is supposed to run at a slow speed as it isn't designed to stop/start at slow speeds. But don't despair, I'm not going to tell you to go and spend money you could otherwise blow on ice or crack when there are replacements all over this sad, polluted world of ours. I'm a committed cheapskate. No one is cheaper than me. If anyone is going to risk their e46 going up in flames because the ECU burned out, it'll be me. Anyhow, scouring eBay in China for a retrofit returned potential replacements, from as little as $2.50 (bulk buying 2 motors):

1. 2Pcs 2750RPM DC12V 4.5 x 18mm Vibrating Vibration Mini Motor for Massage Chair
2. 2mmx15mm Shaft 12V 3050RPM Low Speed High Torque Electric DC Motor for Toy Robot

Might check a few out just to see, but I reckon a BOSCH replacement is probably not a bad idea!

Has anyone else gone the replacement path? How is it going? Perhaps you improved on it some?

Last edited by ThreeM30s; 06-05-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #86
hawk99

My Ride: 323ci
I had the similar squeaking from somewhere behind the dash, but only when making gentle right hand sweeping turns, like you are on a highway. The small shift in G forces would produce this cricket like squeaking. Thought I had found my problem when I found this thread. BUT NO!

I have a 2000 323ci Convertible (Canadian version), and I don't have this blower. I have a factory blank cover with venting between the engine electronics box and the cabin.

WTF? Anybody else?

Thanks!
hawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buzzing, cluster, cricket, noise