E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #61
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
I got the car back from my friend who has been driving it for a week while I was out. Pretty much all these codes pop up. I believe it's the disa after a lot of searching around. I took the disa out and it is broken (probably when I pulled it and had a hard time taking it out). Well what other problems could it be to have all these codes come up?

P0313 Misfire Detected With Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1342 Misfire During Start Cylinder 1 (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1349 Misfire Cylinder 4 With Fuel Cut-off (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1351 Misfire Cylinder 5 With Fuel Cut-off (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1351 Ignition Coil Control Circuit High Voltage (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1085 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P1083 Fuel Control Mixture Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1) (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P1345 Misfire Cylinder 2 With Fuel Cut-off (***(May not be applicable for Honda / Acura)***)
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #62
tnhl1989

bump
Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #63
donaldashworth

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
2003 BMW 325i 139k DISA vane was broken off

This month has not been a good one for me. Just replaced the alternator, battery, siezed fan clutch, all six ignition coils, and corrected an oil filter assemble lower gasket change.

Car still idles very rough at 600RPM and occasionally dips below 500RPM and kicks/jolts.

After performing all of the repairs above over the last week, I decided to go on a short expedition into the intake system checking for vacuum leaks. I pulled the DISA and I noticed the little van was broken in lodged in its cradle. I pulled the entire unit out (including the little metal pin), and completely removed the vane and reinstalled until I can order a new DISA value.

The car idled a little better and drove OK all weekend. This morning I drove to work and stopped off for my morning ritual coffee and noticed a strong sulphur smell. After two more stops on my way to work, I still smell the sulphur. Also, at low speeds, the little gear icon eluminated on my dash...accompanied by a couple of hard down shifts at low speed/RPM.

He is my question: The DISA valve is broken. I have read about those who have completely removed the unit because it is not needed. If so, should I focus on other areas and stand down from dropping yet another 250.00 at the dealership? Also, will the DISA value cause rough idling and hard transmission down shifting? It is entirely possible the DISA gasket is hosed. Today, after work, I'll spray some carb cleaner around the DISA valve gasket and listen for changes in the engire RPM.

These repairs have cost me a lot of money (even while doing them myself). This car has 139k miles on it. I'm not certain how much life it has left.

Any advice?

Thanks! Don
donaldashworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #64
merckx

My Ride: 01/330ci
I have all the similar codes tnhl1989....and yes...it looks like this part will remedy these codes. 11617544805 Idle control valve/intake manifold runner valve adjuster unit......I'm going to do this asap. Just becasue many codes show up doesn't mean each is a separate fix....one code leads to another then to another, all from one part.

good luck -merckx
merckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #65
tnhl1989

Glad to hear you guys got the same problem. I am still waiting on the disa as we speak. I was hoping someone would have similar problems as I do.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #66
agy2k2

My Ride: BMW
great thread I am having these symptoms and will try taking out the disa tomorrow
agy2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #67
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
if you guys need reference here's my vid

Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #68
agy2k2

My Ride: BMW
haha I took mine out and sure enough the flap is broken. It's an 04 330ci with 115k

agy2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #69
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
great thread. very informative

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #70
tnhl1989

Did anyone figured out what was wrong yet?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #71
Robymark

My Ride: 323i
Thanks for the post and thread. I am having the same issues and will clean or replace Adjustor Unit.
Robymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #72
tnhl1989

So overall I ended up replacing the disa and the lower vacuum tube. That was the cause of all the problems.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #73
Robymark

My Ride: 323i
Jectron

I have been running high grade fuel "supreme" and running a can of Lubro Moly Jectron per tank. Huge diffrence idle wise. CES light still coming on though so it is probably DISA, but still is running great now.
Robymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #74
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
so i plan on taking this out and checking/cleaning this part. but before i do, can someone who has done this tell me a couple things...
what is this silver pin that everyone says fall off? what happens if it falls into the intake manifold? how do you get it out?
also what happens if you take the part out and it ends up being broken? can you put it back in as is, or is your car out of commission until you get a new part?
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #75
FMBL

My Ride: 2000 323Ci M3 SportP
Send a message via AIM to FMBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
so i plan on taking this out and checking/cleaning this part. but before i do, can someone who has done this tell me a couple things...
what is this silver pin that everyone says fall off? what happens if it falls into the intake manifold? how do you get it out?
also what happens if you take the part out and it ends up being broken? can you put it back in as is, or is your car out of commission until you get a new part?
Its actually a brass rivet that secures the spring loaded flap to the cage of the disa unit. when you pull the unit out you have to angle it slightly upwards for space and if the rivet is worn and loose there is a chance it could fall out. its spring loaded to be open so if yours is broken you can remove the flap and rivet and re install it temporarily until you get a new one. if you take care to pull it slowly it should be fine though. mine was actually solid when i pulled it out and i cleaned it with maf spray and a utility blade. the dirt seemed to chip away relatively easy in big chunks and then i used the maf spray and my finger to wash away the loose impediments as it evaporates quickly and is not harmful to plastics. also i will say that i noticed on my unit that the seal that everyone has been using gasket sealant on is actually an o-ring so i just replaced it with a new one for 2.20 and she is running like a beaut! hope this helps and good luck!

What I do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUoYlOl_NFs

"I don't pay women for sex, I pay them to leave" Charlie Sheen.
FMBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #76
peytonracer4

Ok so I just went to disconnect my disa and I couldn't get the clip off. I didn't force it because I didn't wanna break anything. Could someone tell me how to get this thing off?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #77
genuity

My Ride: 2001 330iS
^push the metal part towards the connector and pull the connector up. It should come up without much effort. If it does not then you did not push it down far enough.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #78
peytonracer4

Ok I got the connector off and 2screws off but the thing will still not come out. It jiggles but no matter how much force I put on it I can't pull it out. Is there another screw or something? I have a picture showing the 2 screws I pulled out

Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #79
peytonracer4

^ nevermind. I managed to get it out. Surprisingly it was in very good condition. It was a little dirty so I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol because I know that evaporates quickly and doesn't leave residue. Not sure if it made any improvement in idle. It still seems like I have a rough idle but I didn't drive it when cold or for very long. And I believe my rough idle is due to a vacuum leak.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #80
Nando779

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
I will check my DISA soon but is there any sound symptons to a bad DISA. I have had a high pitch squeal at idle for the longest time. I have replaced both tensioners, the idler both belts and the water pump. I completely overhauled the belt system. The sound seems to happen during warm weather too. I cannot pin point where it is coming from either. I have had it the sound since last summer, I forgot about it when the temperature dropped and the sound "took a break". It is a little warm out again and now it's back. Any ideas?
Nando779 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rough idle