E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Ron-B

My Ride: 2002 330cic
Thumbs down e46 - Lighting problem after removable hard top installation

Hi. Just retrofitted my 2002 330 Ci with a removable hardtop. I bought one that was from an M3. Fits great. Bluish black top on my steel blue metalic car looks great. I was told that the M3 top is basically the same as the one for the 330 - the difference being the trim and color (I hope this is true).

Here's the problem.... The dome light (on the mirror) now does not light when I open the doors. When you turn the ignition key off, it lights for a few seconds, dims, then goes off. The two lights in the hard top have power, but only work when you press the switch on the lights, each individually. Anyone know if they are supposed to light when the door is opened? (I don't know how to test the rear defroster but I live in North Dakota so nature will help me out in the next week or two.)

How I created this problem... I bought the BMW installation kit and put it on. This consists of two brackets and two wires for $200 (BMW must like the number 2 - I was just happy they didn't charge $2000 as I would have had to pay it as these brackets would be tough to duplicate - lol). The one on the drivers side had four wires (matched to the harness) and the one on the passenger side 2wires (which matched the harness on that side so I think I installed it correctly.) What a deal to get to the prewired connector... take out the back seat and then several layers of trim. (If anyone has questions on gaining access, I maybe can answer them.)

About the lights... anyone have any idea? Could it be anything relating to the M3 top on the 330 (if so, any ideas for a fix)?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130060b.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	333791  

Last edited by Ron-B; 10-04-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Ron-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
You need to have the hardtop retrofit programming done to your car. The car's ZKE/Central Coding Key needs changed so it recognizes the presence of a hardtop. This has to be done at a dealership and takes about 5 minutes.. unless you can find an independent with a GT1/Progman system. Call around and find a dealership that will do it for a reasonable price.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Ron-B

Wow. Thanks so much. Just glad that it didn't involve taking the seat out, inside panels off... to get to the wiring. My nearest dealer is 300 miles away but I'll try some of the local foreign car fix-it places and maybe can get it done more locally. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Ron-B

Found out I had the mounting bracket on backwards. Though the hardtop fit just fine, the electric connector only fits one way on the mounting bracket, that caused the problem. The dealer was not aware of any programming for the hardtop to be recongnized. I had to take the seats out and the trim off to get to the wiring... went a lot faster than the first time!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #5
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 12 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-B View Post
Found out I had the mounting bracket on backwards. Though the hardtop fit just fine, the electric connector only fits one way on the mounting bracket, that caused the problem. The dealer was not aware of any programming for the hardtop to be recongnized. I had to take the seats out and the trim off to get to the wiring... went a lot faster than the first time!
I made this same exact mistake a couple of months ago when I installed my hardtop kit. I installed the electrical connections backwards and then had to uninstall them and do it right. After that, everything worked perfectly. There was no required programing from the dealer involved.

You can really use a hard top where you live!

2016 X5
2012 750Li (Sold)
2012 X3
2007 750Li (Sold)
2004 X3
2001 330Cic
2000 328i (Sold)
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Gold323Ci

My Ride: 323 Convert
This is an old thread but I hope you guys can help me.

I just sold my hard top and install kit to a guy near me. He has the top but not the install kit yet. I took the kit off today but now the car won't work without the kit. Why?

I did one side and had the problem. So I put the one side plug back in and the top worked. I then thought I might have to have both removed for the soft top to work but when I did, I was back to the same non-working soft top problem.

Any ideas?
Gold323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold323Ci View Post
This is an old thread but I hope you guys can help me.

I just sold my hard top and install kit to a guy near me. He has the top but not the install kit yet. I took the kit off today but now the car won't work without the kit. Why?

I did one side and had the problem. So I put the one side plug back in and the top worked. I then thought I might have to have both removed for the soft top to work but when I did, I was back to the same non-working soft top problem.

Any ideas?
Reviving an old thread. I am having the same issue, top will not work without the hardtop install kit.

Was the light blinking beside the top buttons on the dash?
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Gold323Ci

My Ride: 323 Convert
I don't remember what lights were blinking or not.

I had to leave the install kit installed because I couldn't make top work otherwise. I couldn't find a solution on the web.

I sold my hardtop to a guy and then helped pay for his install kit because the original plan was to give him mine.

Sorry.
Gold323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold323Ci View Post
I don't remember what lights were blinking or not.

I had to leave the install kit installed because I couldn't make top work otherwise. I couldn't find a solution on the web.

I sold my hardtop to a guy and then helped pay for his install kit because the original plan was to give him mine.

Sorry.
Thanks for responding asap!

The issue is that the passenger side mounting bracket has a switch to indicate if the top is installed. The connector on the passenger side has 4 wires, while the drivers side only has 2. 2 wires for power, 2 wires for the switch.

I'm going to try a resistor to see if I can fool the car into thinking the switch is there.
taylor192 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 AM   #10
bf03

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Hard top lighting issues

Hi Ron-B

I know your original issue dates back a few years, but it is exactly the problem I have recently encountered after purchasing a 2003 330cic, which was without a hardtop. I was lucky to find a hardtop in the correct colour (Sapphire Black) locally.

After much discussion with various dealerships, one of which said I should just "put up with it"!, I eventually found a BMW dealership with an old school service manager who remembered a few cars with this problem from the 2003/4 period.

He agreed to take the car in, found it to be a wiring fault on the main loom, and duly repaired it.

Since my car has a BMW service history, he contacted BMW on my behalf, and they in turn agreed to cover the costs as warranty repair.

My faith in BMW is restored.
bf03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardtop, interior, lighting, malfunction, removable