Front-end Vibration; 330Xi - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerme74 View Post
hi,

it's not an aftermarket part the one i got guaranteed OEM quality and fitment.I don't know if you heard this company, they're from CT Old Saybrook. I guess my mechanic gonna charge me hour and half about $180 + $220 parts compare to $600 that he originally charge me(including labor)

i need that extra 200 for my allowance in chicago...lol
Yeah, I've dealt with FCP Groton. Was a brand specified? If not, it's not OEM, no way. If it was, check the package you get to see if the brands match up.

MTC, Uro, ScanTech, and the like are not OEM.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
Yeah, I've dealt with FCP Groton. Was a brand specified? If not, it's not OEM, no way. If it was, check the package you get to see if the brands match up.

MTC, Uro, ScanTech, and the like are not OEM.
How's your experience with the replacement axle from FCP. What brand was it. How many miles on your car and the new axle. Are you happy with them?
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #23
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
How's your experience with the replacement axle from FCP. What brand was it. How many miles on your car and the new axle. Are you happy with them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350135220535

I've not dealt with FCP Groton for BMW parts... and I don't have an xi. I gave up on them after the web site redesign (difficult/impossible to find things) and various "email outages". Too much effort to place a simple order for my taste. When I have gotten a hold of someone, their customer service is decent, and they'll generally fix their mistakes (but they did make mistakes fairly often).

Take a look at their control arm kits for the E46s. It's all "OEM quality" but they won't commit to a specific brand. Of the list of possible brands they give, most have been trashed on various BMW forums as being inferior. On the axles they won't even bother mentioning a brand. That's a red flag to me.

You take your chances. With BMW branded parts you'll get a two year warranty. With aftermarket you won't. If you're doing the work yourself, perhaps it's less of an issue to take it apart again?

I'd buy it and see what it looks like. Made in China? Send it back. Mechanic doesn't like it? Send it back. Not the same length? Send it back.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #24
Nachos23

My Ride: 2009 335Xi Sedan
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Update time. Went to buddies garage and lile 90% of you predicted, both inner CV boots where torn. Will check Transfer fluid oil when I take apart tomorrow. We did not take apart X-mas eve, incase parts were needed and the suppliers were closed. Tackling it tomorrow (Tues) morning..... As far as speeds (for the previous question); my shaking did hapeen between 40 -60 mph...... Let off the gas, the car felt like it was fighting the decrease in speed. Felt like slight shake/popping feel.... press the gas, similar response. Downshift hard and the whole suspension seemed to shake violently........ The other big symptom, is a "light" feel in the steering @ highway speeds..... Initially thought FCABs, but closer inspection indicates they are in good shape. Balljoints and all other suspension components were checked in previous attempts to isolate issue. going to check condition of engine and tranny mounts tomorrow too..... Anyone needs OE FCABs for 04 330 XI let me know... Have a set that I bought believing it was the FCABs, but mine are still great shape.....
Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #25
bimmerme74

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
At that price pretty sure they are not oem. You may want to check the forums just to be sure. Goodluck.

your right. i just call FCP they said it's aftermarket but guarunteed oem fit.Do you think i rather go with my mechanic for $ 600?? i still to return the parts.Actually they haven'nt mailed it yet.might as well tell them not to mail it.the only thing is that i order through ebay.
bimmerme74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
bimmerme74

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=350135220535

I've not dealt with FCP Groton for BMW parts... and I don't have an xi. I gave up on them after the web site redesign (difficult/impossible to find things) and various "email outages". Too much effort to place a simple order for my taste. When I have gotten a hold of someone, their customer service is decent, and they'll generally fix their mistakes (but they did make mistakes fairly often).

Take a look at their control arm kits for the E46s. It's all "OEM quality" but they won't commit to a specific brand. Of the list of possible brands they give, most have been trashed on various BMW forums as being inferior. On the axles they won't even bother mentioning a brand. That's a red flag to me.

You take your chances. With BMW branded parts you'll get a two year warranty. With aftermarket you won't. If you're doing the work yourself, perhaps it's less of an issue to take it apart again?

I'd buy it and see what it looks like. Made in China? Send it back. Mechanic doesn't like it? Send it back. Not the same length? Send it back.

i just go with my mechanic.
bimmerme74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #27
Nachos23

Drive shafts look good @ this point. If required, my buddy/mechanic whose garage I use has a local supplier that rebuilds the front 1/2 shafts for $300 cdn..... checked with him and he has one in stock for a 04 330Xi, so if required, I'll just replace with rebuilt one. My mechanic has him do alot of rebulds for BMWs and they work great! about a 1/3 of the dealer cost for a new part.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #28
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
yea i opted for my mechanic to rebuild the OEM one with an OEM rebuild kit. Been solid ever since.. I have a slight vibration but thats due to tierods... getting those replaced next week along with diff fluid and transfer case fluid.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #29
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23 View Post
Update time. Went to buddies garage and lile 90% of you predicted, both inner CV boots where torn. Will check Transfer fluid oil when I take apart tomorrow. We did not take apart X-mas eve, incase parts were needed and the suppliers were closed. Tackling it tomorrow (Tues) morning..... (SNIP)

Glad to know you found the problem. Let us know how it turns out.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #30
faescl

My Ride: BMW 330xi
I got the FEQ front axles and my indie, who is fantastic, has used them in the past. No issues. They are sold on several sites. Can't remember which one I bought from but the price is the same and shipping was free. I did get the lower control arms from FPC Groton and they are fine. Cannot comment on their axles but I read good things about FEQ.

http://www.******************.com/se...universal:0%29

Select your vehicle obviously. Mine was 03 330xi.
faescl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #31
330xie46

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
guess i will be replacing my axles with tax refund.

thanks guys
330xie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #32
FastKA24DET

My Ride: 330ci,Turbo Altima2k
ace me auto has bmw rebuilt axles for 79.99 with lifetime woranty
advance auto parts has new left axle for 69.99 and right for 74.99 both lifetime woranty but hard to get.

i changed both axles and it still shakes.

I have same problem and eliminating as i go but i think its a bearing.

Last edited by FastKA24DET; 12-30-2009 at 01:11 AM.
FastKA24DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #33
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerme74 View Post
your right. i just call FCP they said it's aftermarket but guarunteed oem fit.Do you think i rather go with my mechanic for $ 600?? i still to return the parts.Actually they haven'nt mailed it yet.might as well tell them not to mail it.the only thing is that i order through ebay.
You take your chances with cheap aftermarket parts. They may work well, they may not. The more difficult it is to replace, the less I like the cheap Chinese crap. Whether or not you've got additional constraints that weigh in the favor of the aftermarket part is entirely unique to your situation.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #34
FastKA24DET

Bmw has cheep parts to start with
My alty with 215k miells still has factory axle never had iner boots ripped or leak yet.
I wouldn't be surprise if Chinese part last longer

Last edited by FastKA24DET; 12-30-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #35
330xie46

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastKA24DET View Post
ace me auto has bmw rebuilt axles for 79.99 with lifetime woranty
advance auto parts has new left axle for 69.99 and right for 74.99 both lifetime woranty but hard to get.

i changed both axles and it still shakes.

I have same problem and eliminating as i go but i think its a bearing.

dame than maybe my axles are fine.
330xie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:29 AM   #36
FastKA24DET

i let u know when i will replace my bearing because i can hear it but not shure if it couse my left side to shake that bad, also when i lift my left side and move my stearing wheel left to right just lil bit i hear this noise like worn out links so it can also be something wrong with my stearing rack. my joints are good.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #37
dan03833

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I have an '01 330xi. I had this problem. In my case, it was the control arm bushings. The inner ones, not the outer. You will have to replace the control arms, unfortunately, the bushings are replaceable seperately. Another possible issue could be worn CV joint boots. If they are cracked, once road grit gets in there, it chews up the CV joint. Those I believe you need to replace the drive shaft to repair.
dan03833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #38
mtccl

My Ride: 330XI, 944
My 02 330XI is in the indy shop right now having the driver's side axle replaced. Same symptoms as others...horrible shake with load. Once up on the rack we found the inner boot had sprayed its grease all over. Will do this one first and hope it fixes the problem at $450 installed.
mtccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #39
cr8tive

My Ride: E46
I had the similar things happen:

Grinding type feel under load, when slowing down it felt different. Had torn boots too. Steering was not how it use to be.

Got them replaced along with one control arm bushing on each side and it drives much much much better.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #40
Nachos23

K. Here we go. Both inner CV boots were intact, but void of grease. Leaked from inner seal. Repacked drivers side and when inspecting passanger side noticed right engine mount completely gone. Engine mount resting directly onto chassis support. Bushing gone. Rechecked drivers side. Not done yet, but some play starting.... Replacing both.... Ordered from Turner Motorsprot and they are on the UPS track for delivery today..... Did not repack passenger side boot. Both half-shafts are being replaced. Going with the FCP Groton solution. $290 US shipped, including duty and texes and includes 10% for a lifetime warranty. FCP Grotons are made in China but are warrantied by FCP. With the 10% extra I paid, I'm covered to install myself with full warrantly. These are new parts and don't have a core charge or require my originals to be returned.... so they're gonna be cleaned and storred incase I need them @ a later date....... Will post pics and update once complete..... Engine mounts this weekend and axles probably next......

Tags
330xi, cv boots, shaking, suspension