E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #21
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
^ yep actually the firs stage is to inject foam in an area that makes somewhat of a wall in the crevice so the second stage can be injected and stays within the confined area around the mounting blocks. but if you have rust working from inside that cavity working out it's still going to give when the metal is fatigued. but it's a better way than nothing, works for many but not all. then again even some new floors have given out under hard use/abuse. i had my 323Ci floor replaced with a newer version improved panel. the original held up for about 115K miles, so one might expect atleast another 150,000 with a newer improved floor panel.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #22
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i had my 323Ci floor replaced with a newer version improved panel.
Was this a brand new panel or cut off a junkyard car? Just curious...
Old 07-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #23
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
brand new from BMW and work done by BMW
Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 AM   #24
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
Monty330ci

My Ride: 2002 330ci, MT
What kind of price tag is a floor replacement...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Monty330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
Serega91

My Ride: 03' WRX, 07' S2K
OP, how many miles on your car?

Im trying to keep some generic statistics.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #27
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
The BMW replacement of trunk floor, at a bmw dealer under the settlement was just under $5,000. Others have gotten it patched for maybe $1500...maybe a little less...but there's a bit of work involved if you have a rip.

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #28
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The BMW replacement of trunk floor, at a bmw dealer under the settlement was just under $5,000. Others have gotten it patched for maybe $1500...maybe a little less...but there's a bit of work involved if you have a rip.
Is that the cost for parts + labor? And are they still doing it?

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:54 AM   #29
Alex323Ci

yes that the cost for parts and labor from the dealership. not only do they replace the whole panel. the have to weld it in on a four point rack to get it aligned correctly. they also have to repaint both the top and bottom sections, then align the suspension.

sure they can do this still. but to be honest you're better off going to an independant BMW shop that has done this and save a lot of money. BMW does not cover this anymore. at the most i've heard them cover 1/2 of the cost when done at their approved facility. so you're still out about $2,500 when many places can repair for about $900-$1300 doing the TMS plates.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #30
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
If the subframe is not cracked or visibly cracked, would it be good measure to just weld the plates in and call it a day?

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #31
brianc843

What would you guys say causes the subframe to crack more twists and turns or launches
brianc843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #32
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Launches; loading and unloading of the drivetrain.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #33
bobnagga

My Ride: 2000 323ci
YouTube redish motorsport videos. They also sell a repair kit that appears to be a lot more substantial than turner's.

And for only slightly more, too.

Their videos are pretty enlightening as well. Like, as far as the process of actually fixing it goes.

I saw a father / son video of the two doing the redish fix... They didn't scrub the paint off and weld the existing cracks, but it's a clear indication that you can do it yourself in your garage. Or driveway.

That's what I'm going to do after my car runs again.

Go make friends with a welder and offer him a few bucks and beers to come do it if you can't.

That's what I'm going to do... I'm not even sure it's cracked, to be honest, but I'm putting a bigger engine in, so I figure it would be wise to just do it.

As far as the paint and sealer, it's all under the car, so it doesn't have to be an amazing job. It just has to protect the metal from rusting out.

You have to get the kit on eBay, (I know, I know...) since they don't sell it direct from their site.

Last edited by bobnagga; 10-03-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: More info
bobnagga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #34
Tyler H

My Ride: 330i
I did the Redish plates as PM. It was a lot of work, but top notch kit. A car with photo documentation of properly installed reinforcements would be worth $1500-2k more to me, after doing it personally.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #35
bobnagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
I did the Redish plates as PM. It was a lot of work, but top notch kit. A car with photo documentation of properly installed reinforcements would be worth $1500-2k more to me, after doing it personally.
Good to hear from somebody that's actually used it. Kind of makes me a bit more confident that I went with the right kit.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #36
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnagga View Post
You have to get the kit on eBay, (I know, I know...) since they don't sell it direct from their site.
You can contact Redish (Bristol, UK) directly via e-mail and they'll sell you the kit - payment via PayPal. I got impatient and bought mine on eBay from a firm that fabricates the plate kit. Incredibly it arrived in just four business days. The price on eBay is about the same but the shipping is a bit higher.

My plan is to have a body shop do the installation. They've done LOTS of BMW work that's much more complex than installing said plates. Yes the Redish kit appears to be more robust than the Turner kit and will distribute loads over larger areas thus reducing stress levels in the trunk sub-floor at the diff mounting points.

Redish appears to really know what they're talking about. They don't mandate complete floor replacement on all '99 and '00 e46s that show evidence of cracks as some on this board have mentioned.

The chassis had 175k miles on it before the diff tore out of the sub-floor, and after the repair the hope is to go another 150k miles. It's cheaper than replacing the car.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #37
bobnagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim3Por911 View Post
You can contact Redish (Bristol, UK) directly via e-mail and they'll sell you the kit - payment via PayPal.
Yeah, that's right. I remember I tried to call them, too, but I don't have international calling anymore, so that's why I did eBay.

Yeah, so you've got options to get it.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #38
Tyler H

Now is the time for RTABs, diff bushings, CSB, etc. I also replaced my 160k mi oem fuel pump as PM during this process. I went with AKG 95A subframe bushings, which would sit flush against your new plates, distributing loads across a much larger surface area than the stock bushings. I went with OEM bushings for the diff, as this is where all the NVH originates, and it needs to float a little. Replaced the control arm bushings with the oem sphericals. RTABs need compliance in 3 dimensions throughout the suspension travel, so that's a bad place to put a spherical bushing or poly, IMO. I went with Meyle HD bushings and poly RTAB limiters. While you're in there, it's a good time to do your swaybar bushings and check out the endlinks.

Being slightly OCD, I completely scrubbed the underbody and wheel wells until spotless before and after welding. POR-15'd the plates and welds, then resprayed silver. Unless you know what you're looking for, you'd never notice it.

It took me about 3 weeks, just working an hour here or there. With a lift and previous experience, I could do it in ~16 hours. Maybe in a day if you take the shop route and leave everything dirty and skip any PM
Old 10-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #39
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler H View Post
I went with AKG 95A subframe bushings, which would sit flush against your new plates, distributing loads across a much larger surface area than the stock bushings. I went with OEM bushings for the diff, as this is where all the NVH originates, and it needs to float a little.
I'm confused - Which bushings did you use for the diff? You're talking two different bushings - AKG 95A and OEM. Which is used where?? Are there two bushings per corner on the Diff? I

My intent is to use OEM throughout (except the where the Diff bushings contact the chassis, and use Powerflex three. I'll replace the upper control arm bushings with the spherical M3 variety. I'll also replace the rear springs with OEM. Mine are corroded from typical salt abuse in the rust belt.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #40
Tyler H

I used AKG for the subframe / diff carrier frame. OEM for the diff itself...there are two.

Tags
323ci, bmw australia, crack, subframe, suspension