E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #41
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
OK. From Real OEM the rear bushings in the carrier show as 33 31 677 07 81 and then there are 33 30 677 94 86 that go on top of them and are called "Stoppers". Is that the part you where you substituted AKG bushings? The front bushings are different left and right and show PN 33 31 677 07 83, and the rights: 33 31 677 07 84. The fronts don't appear to have "stoppers". I'll have to get the rear end out and apart to really tell. It'll be obvious once I get in there and look at it. Sounds like all the bushings will run about $500. I'm sure I can find some video on installing them. Did you buy a tool from BavAuto or similar to extract the old ones or did you just use tubing and sockets with some threaded rod? I have access to a hydraulic press and the carrier will obviously be out of the car.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Tyler H

My Ride: 330i
The subframe attaches to the car at four points. I used AKG poly for these four bushings. The diff attaches to the subframe at two points, and I used oem for those two bushings.

I burned out the rubber subframe bushings...it's a big mess. The AKG poly bushings installed with a big C-clamp.

I rented the bushing tools from two different members on this board through the classifieds. The Koch tool kit takes care of the diff bushings and control arm bushings. The RTAB tool did the RTABS.

I was contemplating making a tool, but in hindsight I'm thankful I didn't. You want the right tools...especially if you're paying hourly for the work.
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #43
Bim3Por911

OK. So you didn't use OEM in the Diff carrier where it attached to the body. I noticed there are also what BMW calls "stoppers". I suppose you either re-used yours or bought OEM. They're only $13 each. I have access to a press and can can come up with some fixturing as needed. I'll look to rent the Koch tool in the classifieds here to do the diff bushings. You can buy it from places like BavAuto but it's $110. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
Tyler H

I misspoke...there are 3 bushings for the diff. Two in the front and one in the back, attached to the diff cover. The Koch kit does all of them. I went OEM for all three.

Here is a gallery that I put together. My phone crashed and lost all the pictures while I was in the process, but I was able to recover SOME of the cached thumbnails. Sorry for the low res and gaps in the process.

Gallery:

http://imgur.com/a/Zwppm

Here are few excerpts:

Cribbed. Don't hate...these are screwed together and the same method used for re-tracking Catterpillar D7s in the field.

Subframe dropped:

Clean up your work area:

The power of fire:

Roached RTAB and diff bushings...the diff bushings were actually fine:

Let stick metal to metal:

Tack weld and massage with ballpeen hammer:
(prep -- ground to bare metal ~1.5" around the weld areas and sprayed with weld-thru primer, to minimize chance of rust around the welds.)

Ready for cleanup:

After POR15 and paint:

Diff serviced and POR15 (<-great stuff!)

Subframe painted and going back:

Last edited by Tyler H; 10-09-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #45
Bim3Por911

Wow! What a HUGE job to do in your garage. I like your use of wood. Few realize how strong it is. I use it for ramps all the time so I can get a jack under my cars. MANY thanks for the photos. I was planning on totally taking all the parts off the Diff Carrier and then using a press to get the old bushings out. It's a bunch more work, but I also need to paint my Diff Carrier. It's pretty feisty. Doing that will likely add 8 - 12 hours to the job but then it's something you'll do ONCE during ownership of the car. Like the engine rebuild and swap I did on my son's 944 Porsche.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #46
Tyler H

I painted the diff carrier with POR15 after a good scrubbing and power washing. Use a sponge brush and it dries to a beautiful oem-like finish without brush marks that is impervious to rust.

I have used a press and homemade arbors many times to get bushings out. Trust me the tool rental is worth it. Diff carrier is all awkward angles. The Koch tool kit was really impressive, and only cost me $35 to rent.

Last edited by Tyler H; 10-09-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #47
Bim3Por911

I've used POR-15 and Wurth Rust-Stop before (similar products). They're great but require covering with additional paint as UV light will break them down. A better solution may be to paint the diff carrier in Imron. I'll talk to my body guy as we go along.

Sounds like the Koch tools are the way to go due to the oddball shape of the diff carrier. I'll look for rentals or purchase on eBay and then re-sell.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #48
Huajiachicat

My Ride: 2006 BMW 325Ci
Subframe won't crack, floor panel mount to subframe who crack. The floor panel belongs to chassis.

The so called "subframe reinforcement plate" did not reinforce subframe, It reinforce panels mount to subframe, which is also part of chassis.
Huajiachicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323ci, bmw australia, crack, subframe, suspension