E46 330, TCM, EGS, Limp mode, trans fail - transmission problem (resolved) - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 308 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #61
Quest12334

My Ride: 2002 330ci
If the fuse is blown the indicator would stay on and not reset right? And the car would stay in limp mode.
Quest12334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #62
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest12334 View Post
Ok a little help please, yesterday I disconnected the positive battery cable on my 02 330ci. Now, my transmission light is coming on. When I turn the car off and turn it back on all go back to normal. This happen twice today.

This also happen with my 06 and 00 both were 3 series. Once I shut the car off it resent and worked fine.

However, I'm concerned this might be a bigger issue.

Any thoughts?
Could be low on fluid. Check for leakage around the transmission cooler near the front of car close to the radiator.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #63
Quest12334

Ok having the same issue as angel I recently disconnected the pos bat terminal and then the trouble started the clog of death showed up and the car went into limp mode. I turn the car off everything reset and it drove fine. Happen again today so I took it to have the code read. 49 gear monitoring 54 gear monitoring slipping in 4th gear car drive fine mechanic dove it and it dove fine. The car doesn't feel like its slipping in 4th gear.

Just a thought, is it possible the computer needs time to recalibrate itself. Prior to disconnecting the bat I wasn't having this issue. My thought is once i disconnected the system it resets as if a new car. Once driven for some time the obc adjust for expanded ratio limits.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #64
coolmellowdude

Quote:
Ok having the same issue as angel I recently disconnected the pos bat terminal and then the trouble started the clog of death showed up and the car went into limp mode. I turn the car off everything reset and it drove fine. Happen again today so I took it to have the code read. 49 gear monitoring 54 gear monitoring slipping in 4th gear car drive fine mechanic dove it and it dove fine. The car doesn't feel like its slipping in 4th gear.

Just a thought, is it possible the computer needs time to recalibrate itself. Prior to disconnecting the bat I wasn't having this issue. My thought is once i disconnected the system it resets as if a new car. Once driven for some time the obc adjust for expanded ratio limits.

Any thoughts?
Heat up the transmission to operating temperature with fluid flowing through the transmission system. If something is wrong, a code will appear. The computer does not re-calibrate.

First - check fluid level - if low, add fluid if low, then reset/clear codes.
Second - check firmware version - update if old. Then reset/clear codes.

Still having same issue, perform a flush and fill transmission service with new filter.

Good luck.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #65
knk113

My Ride: 325i
Sorry for thread revival!

I have 2004 325i with 74k miles and recently done coolant overhaul + pulleys (radiator isn't changed) and ready for long road trip (2000 miles) this July.

I purchased this car november of 2013 and had this transmission issue on January.

Transmission shifts perfect and smooth, except it goes limp mode in the morning when car's engine temperature is "cold". (usually happens 30sec-3 min after you start car and start driving)

Once I reset it either restarting car or using OBD scanner then problem never comes back. As long as engine is warm i can restart car all day and have no problem.

I am surprised there are so many people out there with these problem and yet haven't found answer yet.

I will be taking my car to this road trip and i was wondering did anyone find any solution to this? I know my transmission isn't mechanical problem
knk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #66
Quest12334

Thank for the reply.

My tranny was replaced to the tune of 5k. Ouch!!!!!

The car just died on the highway. And by the way in the beginning turning the the car off would reset the system.

Just so you know before taking it on a long trip.

Thanks hope this helps

Quest
Old 06-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #67
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knk113 View Post
I know my transmission isn't mechanical problem
Well then what does that leave? Electrical right? It can only be so many things. All the wires for the transmission are bundled together in a ....wait for it...transmission wiring harness. Which is relatively easy to replace. Good luck.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #68
knk113

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Thank for the reply.

My tranny was replaced to the tune of 5k. Ouch!!!!!

The car just died on the highway. And by the way in the beginning turning the the car off would reset the system.

Just so you know before taking it on a long trip.

Thanks hope this helps

Quest
Did you replace the transmission after it died on highway? or Is the problem still happening after the transmission replacement?
knk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #69
Jeffro325

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel928 View Post
Another followup; snagged a used TCM on ebay. I pulled mine and compared numbers to make sure it matched up. Various numbers one of which matched. Verified with seller that was the one that needed to match up. Used unit due to arrive today. Will install as soon as it stops raining. HOpe to have a positive report after that.
Sorry to revive an old thread (again lol), but I have a quick question for you Angel. Where is the TCM located? I need to play with mine, but I can't find the info online as to where it's located in the car.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out
Jeffro325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #70
nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro325 View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread (again lol), but I have a quick question for you Angel. Where is the TCM located? I need to play with mine, but I can't find the info online as to where it's located in the car.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out
Willing to be you will bet disappointed after replacing TCM. It is located in back right corner of engine bay. Under that little triangle shaped box.

you may want to try transmission wiring harness.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #71
Jeffro325

Thanks for the info. I assume when you say right side, you mean driver side (North america) right?
I got fed up of my auto tragic a while ago, and swapped my car to a manual shift. I had the computer and everything (or so I thought) flashed to manual car settings, but after a few days of driving normally, the pos left me stranded and wouldn't start anymore. I plugged in my scanner and it turns out I am still getting automatic error codes! So I spoke with the godfather of Bimmer knowledge (aka drift.mechanic lol) and he suggested I rip out the TCM, in case it's still communicating with the car and causing my headaches. So that is why I'm looking for it
Jeffro325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #72
Meguel

My Ride: 1999 328i e46
Additional symptom to limp mode issue

Let me just add and say that for a few month I have been having this issue with my car going into limp mode anda the red cog coming up on the dashboard, but it would only happen if the air conditioner is on, never happened if the AC is off. Recently when this issue arose, the car would not restart, then I read a thread somewhere which said to unplug the airflow sensor, start the car and plug it back in. Interestingly this actually worked, but last week something happens that blew me away literally. Here are the conditions - AC on, Radio on, brought the car to a stop to drive out of a parking lot, turned the ignition off and BOOOM, air bags on the passenger side deployed. Of course this is the weirdest, strangest thing I have ever saw in my life, I am pretty sure not much persons might have had this issue, but clearly it tell me that the issue has to be more electronic than mechanical, if you wish to comment please don't hesitate.
Meguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 AM   #73
grayautomotive

My Ride: GMC Dually
BMW HAve a recall on the airbags currently from the 02-06 bmw i think... But i just got mine done.
grayautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #74
M///Power

My Ride: BMW E46 320CD COUPE
Hello guys,

I'm new to the forum, could not find anything apart from this thread.
Please spare a minute to have a look.
My E46 320cd has a problem with the revs while driving at 40-50mph and 1500-2000rpm.
Car idles fine when stationary,no problems while driving off either (no power loss).
But once it reaches the above speed and I keep it at 1500-2000rpm it starts to play.
Scan came up with the faults: P2043 (glow plugs) and P0800 (unknown) - EGS gear monitoring (5) .
Recently changed :
* Air Filter
* Fuel Filter
* Oil Filter
* Oils
Have also cleaned Maf sensor and blocked EGR.

I have took a video of the jumping revs.

I hope it's not the worst (gearbox failing).

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks is advance!_nr_
M///Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #75
jryeje

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
Even though im about to pull a mega revive, just wondering if you ever fixed the problems angel or if anyone else with similar issues found fixes. Im having basically the same problems here and am really scared I may nees a new tranny which would mean the kiss of death for bank account and social life for a while (even though I dont get out much in the first place). I have a 02 330i auto here.
jryeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #76
M///Power

Torque coverter

It was the torque converter. 220 to refurbish and 160 labour.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #77
john toth

My Ride: 325
5ph-19

Is there a fuse that could cause a code p1895If so where is it located
john toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #78
john toth

My Ride: 325
5ph-19

Is there a fuse that could cause a code p1895If so where is it located How about a relay
john toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 AM   #79
M///Power

Fuse

Dont think it was a fuse coz problem solved once the torque converter was replaced.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #80
jryeje

My Ride: 2002 E46 330i
Just got my transmission rebuilt, and that included getting a new torque converter as well for anyone wondering, seems to be the main culprit
jryeje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egs, limp, tcm, trans, transmission