Vibration under acceleration - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #41
Bulsara

My Ride: 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
How did you replace the ujoint its not service able?
Guess I should have said the bearing can be replaced and not the ujoint itself.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892866
Bulsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #42
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi, '90 325iC
what is it about the 2k rpm mark that makes something vibrate, the harmonics? Anyway, I also have that terrible noise. I have no idea what to do and reading all these threads makes me even less sure. People are just naming seeming completely random parts and swearing it fixed the issue. So from reading this I should replace me: MAF, coils, entire suspension, driveshaft, engine mounts, differential, pretty much just buy a new car right?

But seriously, I'm thinking about taking it to my mechanic but I feel like they will also not really know the issue either and throw parts at it under my expense
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #43
zigoapex

My Ride: bmw 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
what is it about the 2k rpm mark that makes something vibrate, the harmonics? Anyway, I also have that terrible noise. I have no idea what to do and reading all these threads makes me even less sure. People are just naming seeming completely random parts and swearing it fixed the issue. So from reading this I should replace me: MAF, coils, entire suspension, driveshaft, engine mounts, differential, pretty much just buy a new car right?

But seriously, I'm thinking about taking it to my mechanic but I feel like they will also not really know the issue either and throw parts at it under my expense
yes,just buy a new car,preferably a different make,so the people in this forum, who are just trying to help,won't have to listen to someone that doesn't appreciate the efforts made, helping people for free.
2003 325xi > new plugs-O2 sensors pre cat replaced ccv valve and 4 hoses-S.A.P.hoses and intake plug-M.A.F-intake boot oil housing gasket water pump and belts-fuel filter-fuel pump-cleaned I.C.V.-throttle body-changed front differential oil--drivers side-axle-passenger side axle Front wheel bearings-front lower control arms-control arm bushings-Steering Rack Boots-alternator-rt front tie rod, front brake pads and rotors.
zigoapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #44
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi, '90 325iC
There's a difference between legitimately helping and just replying with a part and no explanation. People tend to give advice on stuff they don't really know much about.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #45
zigoapex

My Ride: bmw 325 xi
99% of the people on this forum are sincerely trying to help,and are going off what they experienced. go on some of the other BMW forums and you'll hear from people that have no idea what they are doing,or just being smart#ss's,giving the wrong info on purpose.
if your looking for the correct information,and if you don't want
to read through post that might not be helpful,you can always go to the site with the trained mechanics,they will give the info you need,for around $30.00

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2003 325xi > new plugs-O2 sensors pre cat replaced ccv valve and 4 hoses-S.A.P.hoses and intake plug-M.A.F-intake boot oil housing gasket water pump and belts-fuel filter-fuel pump-cleaned I.C.V.-throttle body-changed front differential oil--drivers side-axle-passenger side axle Front wheel bearings-front lower control arms-control arm bushings-Steering Rack Boots-alternator-rt front tie rod, front brake pads and rotors.

Last edited by zigoapex; 08-05-2015 at 03:59 PM.
zigoapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #46
Rumplemenz

My Ride: 05 330i zhp/15 335i
this issue, for some, can become real irritating

An issue like this is so hard to diagnose b/c we all describe noises a little differently. Plus it seems like there are many issues than can cause this shudder. What's driving me nuts is the shudder is moving around like a f'n gremlin.

Hows this for ya?

Started in rear, passenger side, under baby seat only under load in 2nd gear at 2500 rpm. Replaced center bearing, flex disc and constant velocity joint. flex disc (giubo) was shot.

The noise didn't go away entirely though it did decrease significantly. HOWEVER it now only happened in 3rd gear under load.

Shop, at their own expense, replaced the flex disc again b/c they werent happy with the part they received. The noise still remained.

Shop didn't want to start chasing the issue but suspected the driveshaft was the culprit. Driveshaft rebuilt. Turns out it was in need of attention so that was good news.

Noise in rear under baby seat completely disappeared. NICE...................BUT... the shudder now is directly under the center cup holder in 2nd gear under load.

WELL..... time to call the shop again to give them the bad news. BTW owner is a buddy of mine who's been in business for 20 years and who i have 100% trust in so im not taking it elsewhere.

If anyone out there had this shutter move around id love to hear your experience resolving this. Thanks guys always appreciate the help
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #47
ith5005

My Ride: 2004 330xi
what about your axles?
ith5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #48
Rumplemenz

My Ride: 05 330i zhp/15 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ith5005 View Post
what about your axles?
Thats what the shop said after the 3rd attempt did not work but they said axles dont appear to have any issues. The vibration and shudder now is all over the place...He's done at chasing this (my wallet too) and wants me to handle this crack first. He did find a small (under 20 mm) fracture in the subframe. Rather than throwing cash at the axles i'll handle this issue first.
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #49
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post
Thats what the shop said after the 3rd attempt did not work but they said axles dont appear to have any issues. The vibration and shudder now is all over the place...He's done at chasing this (my wallet too) and wants me to handle this crack first. He did find a small (under 20 mm) fracture in the subframe. Rather than throwing cash at the axles i'll handle this issue first.
Axles and vibration under load is a description most people with xi's encounter because when the cv joints in the front go bad it's what happens. Comparing it to RWD cars doesn't help them.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #50
S.A. Singer

My Ride: 330xi
Mine did this, and I kept replacing broken things until it stopped. CSB/guibo first, then the motor mounts, then the front right axle. Check your motor mounts, because that really surprised me as to having an effect on vibrations, but it sure did.
S.A. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #51
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A. Singer View Post
Mine did this, and I kept replacing broken things until it stopped. CSB/guibo first, then the motor mounts, then the front right axle. Check your motor mounts, because that really surprised me as to having an effect on vibrations, but it sure did.
Did you have any clunking when you turned? I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

2003 325xi Jet Black/Brown Leather
2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring Jet Black Mica/Black Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
a list of parts to replace on these is easy; just replace everything.
venerated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #52
S.A. Singer

That's probably your axle, are your boots torn?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #53
venerated

Quote:
That's probably your axle, are your boots torn?
Yeah, the inner driver side is. I just started getting vibration a couple days ago and I've seen so many different causes. I've just been gathering a list and then trying to go down it from least expensive/easiest to more expensive/hard. I think I'm gonna replace the motor mounts first and repack the CV boots/repair the one and then if that doesn't fix it, I'll get a new axle. After that, I guess I'll be taking it somewhere to get the drive shaft worked on because I don't trust my abilities to work on that part of the car, especially cause I have a tiny garage and no one to help me.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #54
S.A. Singer

You need to replace the axle... Torn boot means it's done for, it's not hard to replace.

As far as driveshaft goes- it's not very hard, but I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have a lift
Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #55
venerated

Quote:
You need to replace the axle... Torn boot means it's done for, it's not hard to replace.

As far as driveshaft goes- it's not very hard, but I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have a lift
How do I know for sure if it's the axle though? I'm not saying it's not I just wanna be sure.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #56
S.A. Singer

If the boot is torn, your axle has been ruined by foreign debris. 99% chance your axle is the problem. Especially if it makes noise when turning.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #57
venerated

Quote:
If the boot is torn, your axle has been ruined by foreign debris. 99% chance your axle is the problem. Especially if it makes noise when turning.
The clunking I heard sounded like it was coming from the engine and not the "clicking" (moreso what I would call it) sound that seems to come from a ruined axle. Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, perhaps I just have multiple problems.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #58
venerated

Quote:
Like this video for example: Mine does not have a sound like that what-so-ever.

Edit: Also my car vibrates when I am idling. I just replaced my valve cover gasket, which I though was what was causing it, but I still have it. This is why I am thinking motor mounts should be my first task.

Edit again: It is my inner boot that is torn as well, which doesn't seem to be the part that causes the clicking.

Quote:

Last edited by venerated; 12-15-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #59
S.A. Singer

Put some chalk or paint on your power steering fluid reservoir cap. Pull the e-brake and release the clutch (or give it gas on an auto). If the chalk can be seen on the inside of your hood, you need new mounts. Listen for a clunk when you release throttle/push in clutch, that would be the sound of your engine slamming into the frame supporting it from below.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #60
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI, 2003 M3
I had the thump under the center of the car around 2,000-2,500 RPM's after enough research on this forum, I determined due to mileage 205k the u-joints were seized. Sure enough they were shot, and I replaced the drive shaft with a rebuilt unit from Beyer driveline, CSB and guibo. Noise and vibration are completely gone and the car is back to running smooth!

I weighed all the pro's and con's of trying the guibo/csb first but at the end of the day a completely rebuild drive shaft with a OEM CSB was was $330 bucks vs throwing a $79 OEM CSB/ $122 Guibo. I figured it was just prudent to replace everything while everything was out since it's a pain of the job and if you are paying someone the labor is the same either way!

If you buy a new driveshaft from BMW it includes a new guibo as well.

All of the parts were original and dated coded to 03, so considering their age they lasted a long time!

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

Last edited by SeattleLSB; 12-16-2015 at 08:24 PM.
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, transmission, vibration