E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

View Poll Results: I can help with...
Ibus to arduino integration and schematic 0 0%
Arduino programming and Bluetooth keyboard emulation 0 0%
iPhone app development 0 0%
Android app development 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Phone/tablet integration into ibus

I'm looking to start a project and seeing what interest/support is out there. There appears to be a relatively low complexity method to integrate ibus to arduino and from arduino to Bluetooth keyboard emulation. See where I'm going with this? Here's a primer:

Bluetooth keyboard emulation is cross platform compatible. Meaning you can pair it with iPhone, android, Mac, PC, Linux, etc, etc.

There are quite a bit of capabilities you can integrate. One feature would simply be to pass the ibus serial output straight to the attached device sending all ibus info to the phone or PC. The programming would then be on the attached phone or PC to make sense of the data.

Second option would be to have the arduino keep a predefined set of ibus instructions, I.e. steering wheel volume controls, window up down control, etc. then output to specific Bluetooth keyboard macros to the attached phone or PC. Volume control of the unit would be one key feature, pause/play or home button with R/T buttons, etc. Home button control would be of the more powerful options for device control via voice activation like Siri.

I'm not really interested in seeing who wants this, as I will likely pursue the project for my own purposes, but am willing to share schematics and code with those interested in seeing the project move forward. Thanks for your interest.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
check out this thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=940693
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
Yes, this is a pretty neat setup. I ran something similar using a USB iBUS interface to a netbook and running riderunner software. It worked, but was a bit clunky. This implementation is probably a bit cleaner than that setup. My current idea has to do more with this integration:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=997103

I personally feel radios are outdated. And for it's time, the MKIV radio NAV system was top of it's kind for stock implementations. I personally stopped using the radio in it years ago as I can't stand static or the low audio quality. Since I was able to get all my stations online streaming and in much better sound quality, I went that route and never went back. All the functions of the MKIV are quite outdated considering what you can do on a tablet or smartphone, so I completely removed the head unit and sold the used components for more than I bought the higher quality aftermarket components. I find that a little odd, but it's market price...

Tags
android, arduino, bluetooth, ibus, iphone