E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
fell asleep behind the wheel(luckiest guy)

So today I was driving from San Diego to Orange County. Right about San Clemente I felt very sleepy. I've been dozing off here and there for a few seconds. Then the next thing I know I just hit an armored van. It was a BRINKS van. The image on my mind was that I just ruined the front/right side of my car. We pulled over to the side. I ran around the car to check the damages. I didn't notice any damage right away. I looked at the van and saw nothing either. I looked back at my car and saw that the front right wheel has been grinded. Less than one inch was chipped off the wheel. What had happened was the wheel hit the left side of the van's rear bumper. Luckily when I hit the van I woke up right away and turned the car away from the van.

The guy the stepped out of the van told me that I was one lucky guy. My whole front side of the car could've been destroyed. Note to self and everyone else, do not continue driving when sleepy behind the wheel.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
brickhaus

My Ride: 328ci
consider yourself lucky to not have killed yourself as opposed to damaging your car. Good to hear it wasnt major
Old 07-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
MrEmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhaus View Post
consider yourself lucky to not have killed yourself as opposed to damaging your car. Good to hear it wasnt major
Yea no joke.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
503mozo

My Ride: 330Ci 2002

It happens to me aswell. I just pull over or hit the nearest gas station for a energy drink.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
503mozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Thank you. I needed that reminder. We all need that reminder.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
You should get a Lexus LS. It watches your face to see if you're sleeping and jabs the brakes to wake you up.

do do do do do do do do...
Old 07-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
You should get a Lexus LS. It watches your face to see if you're sleeping and jabs the brakes to wake you up.

The new S class will drive itself for 10 seconds at a time....
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Glad no one was injured/killed and your car is (for the most part) okay. I'm getting ready for a couple trips in the upcoming month and I'm very thankful for this reminder.

Be safe everybody, life is too precious.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
It happens to me as well. I just pull over to the nearest gas station for a power nap.

Last edited by Saintluk2; 07-23-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
lol that brinks driver probably thought some sh!t was about to go down after he felt you hit the van

2015 M235i 6MT

Last edited by nike001; 07-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
MrEmitter

Quote:

Yea I laugh at those commercials when I see those tech but they are really helpful in these types of situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomechinz View Post
The new S class will drive itself for 10 seconds at a time....
I think I saw a youtube video of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
Glad no one was injured/killed and your car is (for the most part) okay. I'm getting ready for a couple trips in the upcoming month and I'm very thankful for this reminder.

Be safe everybody, life is too precious.
Yes. I am very much thankful. I actually went to church after and just prayed and thanked God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
lol that brinks driver probably thought some sh!t was about to go down after he felt you hit the van
Yea. The driver looked at me when I hit his van. The way I hit it was if I was pit maneuvering the van.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #12
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan

Good to know that you are safe. And that the bimmer is too
awesomechinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
Good to know that you are safe and the Bimmer is relatively okay! Lost a Co-Worker Memorial day weekend due to falling asleep at the wheel.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
...so what are you doing to prevent falling asleep at the wheel again? Energy drinks are a band-aid to the problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Poor planning and terrible judgement. Driving while that sleepy is stupid and makes you a danger to everyone else on the road.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:

I pull over to the side of the road, park, and take a nap.
But if Lexus LS can do that, I suggest that BMW puts a spray facing the driver, to squirt him if he is sleepy, similar to want I do to my dog when he does something wrong.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Manny04

My Ride: BMW E46 325CI
Re: fell asleep behind the wheel(luckiest guy)

Lucky guy! Dozing at the wheel is a serious matter some people toy with. Funny it was a brinks truck.lol. I did a 2800 mile roadtrip coast to coast solo from sofla to cali, when in the navy (5600 miles) and as soon, and i mean 1st! (not 2nd not 3rd..) As i would sense tiredness at the wheel, my remedy was switching the music to something loud and annoying. And it would do the trick for me. The dozing would pass shortly after that.

Try creating a playlist labeled something like "No Dozzing at the wheel fool" with the most energetic music you have and see if that works. If you doze off with that, Pull the f*** over! lock your doors, set an alarm on your phone, and take your power nap!!

BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
Serega91

My Ride: 03' WRX, 07' S2K
Being a college caffeine addict, I try to not drive at all when I get little sleep/feel tired/ havent had my caffeine high for the day.... even if that means walking 5 miles to the store in the winter... because an extra hour of sleep makes for a big difference in driving quality
As for this life experience/lesson, it could have turned out much worse..., so you are a lucky guy

edit: Id probably fall asleep in a Lexus LS no matter what kind of driver-awareness monitoring system they put in that thing, sh*t's a couch on wheels

Last edited by Serega91; 07-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Serega91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Make sure it never happens again. A guy I knew who was an Air Force Colonel fell asleep behind the wheel and was using cruise control, after a few seconds he got in the center on the 2 roads on the grass and smashed into the overpass base at 70mph.

Lesson learned that day: Never use Cruise Control at night.

Glad you made it out okay OP, there's hundreds of ways it could have gone bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
There have also been a number of plane crashes where "get-there-itis" gets in the way of proper judgment. In the big picture it's silly to take risks, but I'm glad you learned.
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, grind, luck, scratch, wheel