E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The HPF Hood Was Born

30K views 106 replies 51 participants last post by  HPFMTRE 
#1 ·
Yes... Yes.... Yes! The HPF hood is now on full throttle. We met up w/ the guys at Advance Composite Systems today to talk about how we are now ready to go full speed on getting this hood manufactured. A great meeting with the guys and are very excited to see the progress of the HPF Hood. Definitely stay tuned!

See less See more
#11 ·
Oh dear.

Maybe you would care to detail how the vents are functional as a part of the turbo kit? Does it have some aerodynamic characteristic that modifies air flow in a way that increases boost? Enhance cooling? Reduces drag? Increases stability?

My personal opinion is that that hood design departs from one fundamental design aspect that represents the value and tradition of BMW. Conservatism. Such a departure can be overlooked if there is some performance issue that calls for unorthodox visual aspects, hence my question.

#13 ·
Kris took a video of Chris from ACS drawing the red hood picture. Posting this pic along side all the other hoods without a description is a bit confusing but the other hoods are not designs we are using. They were brainstorming drawings from ACS. The hood we are wanting to make has a center vent and no side vents. It will add downforce and will have a very clean, lightly aggressive look and will be extremely strong and lightweight. What you guys don't realize is we can make the hood look like anything you want but everyone making comments on our other threads directly contradicts each other. If you all would simply agree on something we would make it.

Chris

#16 ·
I would like to see it on the car before voicing an opinion.

#17 ·
I think it would be better just doing a GTR style bonnet. Keeps the good factory lines of the car and helps get the unwanted heat out of the engine bay. I personally believe it would be a better seller too as it appeals to a larger amount of people. And seeing Vorsteiner don't make theirs anymore yours would be the only one that doesn't use chinese/tiawan clear that yellows from UV. You could perfect the GTR style too and get it lighter than Vorsteiner had it ;)

Once you start going crazy different lines like some of the sketches or that blue one posted above it looks like it should be on a riced up japanese car not a BMW.

#19 ·
EXACTLY what he said. The opportunity to make an almost exact copy of the Vorsteiner GTR hood (only better) would be the safest bet. A SURE money maker. Guys are dying to find even used Vorsteiners on the market. The demand is still high for GTR styled hood.
I am sorry, but the hood shown looks like it belongs on a Mustang, NOT a BMW. Its all wrong.

#28 ·
I would def be interested in a GTR style hood. One with nice vents and the factory style cabin air filter vent. All the ones on the market now have that stupid scoop or weird hood bulge(Seibon,VIS etc)

#30 ·
This is why Industrial Design Firms exist, look into hiring one; design by committee, especially on a car forum will get you nowhere. You guys are great at designing incredible turbo kits, but the ID necessary to put a kit together is a totally different skill set than designing the exterior look of a car; even if they use the same basic tools and processes.

#32 · (Edited)
Chris, you say there is no consistency. Of course there isnt. But there may be a majority or a significant figure. It is hard to base desire on posts alone. It is always possible that there is a silent majority out there that is reluctant to post but may be more likely to press on a poll number. Try and narrow the publics's desires to TWO designs.

You have nothing to loose by holding a poll. You are certainly not bound by the results. It does not cost you a penny. You may have everything to gain depending on the results.

I still think my idea holds weight. Do a SAFE build of something with a KNOWN world wide fan base: the Vorstiiener GTR!! At the same time, or eventually, come out with a second design. Sure, there is tooling and set up costs...

But is offering two different designs totally out of the question? You pretty much may be forced into it. There are many of us that simply will NOT BUY a design they dont like, no matter what. So, give the people what they REALLY want...a choice.
GTR based AND a Asuka based design? This is precisely why cars come in different colors and model trim etc.

#34 ·
People need to ask why Vorsteiner stopped making the GTR hood.

My guess is that the demographic of M3 owners has changed, and that "current" M3 owners don't see value in a $2000 hood. A person that can afford to buy a $55k car is going to have a different disposable income versus a person that can afford to buy a $25k car.

My personal view on this is that HPF needs to decide what THEY want out of designing and selling their own hood. Do they want to make a market statement with a functional design? Do they want to adapt to general market consensus to sell volume?

If I was managing this project, I would probably bring in a big name aero guy like Andrew Brilliant to do both. Chris...he's worth calling.

#35 ·
Andrew Brilliant is - brilliant. Not trying to be funny but the guy is a genius.

He's done a heap of work with my mates at GT Auto Garage here in Brisbane (Australia) and this year he did all the aero on the Nemo Racing time attack car which won the World Time Attack Challenge in Sydney.

If you are getting the guy who tunes at UGR, I second the suggestion for AB!

#39 ·
Design small flange that goes around the perimeter of the vents on the underside of the hood, you may want this anyway just for rigidity. Design a black ABS plastic cover with 3 or 4 barbed tabs that latch onto this flange hold it in place; you could send the design off to an injection molder and probably get them for like $20 each. Use some adhesive backed foam strip on the cover to seal out water and prevent marring or rattling.

add huge HPF markup and BAM! $300 sealable vent option that people would buy just to keep pollen and little drops of water off the top of their engine. :rofl:

#41 · (Edited)
Design small flange that goes around the perimeter of the vents on the underside of the hood, you may want this anyway just for rigidity. Design a black ABS plastic cover with 3 or 4 barbed tabs that latch onto this flange hold it in place; you could send the design off to an injection molder and probably get them for like $20 each. Use some adhesive backed foam strip on the cover to seal out water and prevent marring or rattling.

add huge HPF markup and BAM! $300 seal able vent option that people would buy just to keep pollen and little drops of water off the top of their engine. :rofl:
Less than 200usd :boink: please. The hood will be expensive enough. If the cover is designed to be fast and easy to put on, then I imagine more than 50% of hood buyers would also buy a removable cover(s).

People need to ask why Vorsteiner stopped making the GTR hood.

My guess is that the demographic of M3 owners has changed, and that "current" M3 owners don't see value in a $2000 hood. A person that can afford to buy a $55k car is going to have a different disposable income versus a person that can afford to buy a $25k car.

My personal view on this is that HPF needs to decide what THEY want out of designing and selling their own hood. Do they want to make a market statement with a functional design? Do they want to adapt to general market consensus to sell volume?

If I was managing this project, I would probably bring in a big name aero guy like Andrew Brilliant to do both. Chris...he's worth calling.
You bring up VERY interesting points. I hear you.

#43 ·
Meeting up with Advanced Composite Systems yesterday, we had a pleasure to watch the master Art Director Kris draw the version of the hood we wanted from scratch. All he needed was a description, a pencil, and a blank sheet of paper.

This might not be the final version as well. The hood will be tweaked here and there... but just know, this was how it all started.

Provided by: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com
Music: Kezwik - The Traveler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGOO0ildWA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.