E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Which floor jack and jack stand locations

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  2001Silver330CI 
#1 ·
I have about $100 to use on a floor jack. Which one should I buy? Which jack stands should I get (about $50 to spend)? Where should I put the jack stands one I jack up the car?

#4 ·
I love my 2.5 Ton Harbor Freight jack. Works well and at $80, hard to beat when it comes to value. Make sure you get the low profile one.

Agreed on the Sears jack stands. I bought two sets of 4 Ton Craftsman stands (black base w/ yellow stands) for $95.

You can buy cheaper ones since the 4 Ton's are overkill, but that was my intent if I'm rolling around underneath a lifted vehicle.

#20 ·
I agree these stands are the way to go.

I bought some craftsman stands about a year ago, I forget which ones, but they were not the lowest rated ones (so I guess I got 4 ton maybe). I do not feel all the confident with them, craftsman quality has definitely gone down hill. The welds on them look very sloppy and on one of them the legs aren't completely level.

My dad got two of the esco ones recently and I definitely plan on getting some soon. They just look so much more solid, well made, and stable than the craftsman ones.

#7 ·
This are the best deal on the internet right now.

I'm probably about to buy these stands:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XTGCI...TF8&colid=3R397LEWHO1JS&coliid=I3KC81OC29GL96

**** your jackstand budget. Don't compromise on things holding two tons over your body.
I have a pair of them as well. They're like a work of art. My brother in law keeps trying to talk me into giving them to him since I have the Esco's, but I kinda like them.

The only issue is the base is a *little* small.

When I get cars up on a jack stand I push on the car as hard as I can. If it doesn't move, then I know it's good. I'm not sure I'd trust the Torin's as much as the Esco's because of the base.

#14 ·
I will take a look at the HF jack. I really like their aluminum one, but it costs another $70 and its only 2 tons (but it does come with a rubber pad. The problem with all their jacks is they only have a 90 day warranty. Will they take them back if they start leaking 6 months after the purchase?[

3 ton low profile jack
URL="http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html?hftref=cj"]http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html?hftref=cj[/URL]

2 ton aluminum jack
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-61406.html

#15 ·
The HF jacks are great. You'll find the identical jacks at other places for double and triple the price. If you are going to be transporting the jack, I'd go with the 2 ton aluminum one. If not, get the steel low profile jack and keep it in your garage. Tools are generally an investment, so don't be afraid to spend a little more on a jack that will be more convenient for you to use.

And no, they won't take them back if they start leaking, but I wouldn't worry about that. Mine's been good for over a year with many uses. The number of pumps advertised on their site is a lie, but they still work great.

#21 ·
Whatever jackstands you get, it's a good idea to use your jack for extra support on a strong and balanced area of the car in addition to the jackstands. I also like to place at least one or two wheels under the car as well for extra security. Triple redundancy.

#24 · (Edited)
I can only add to what the others have said a few times. I picked up two 3 ton Steel HF jacks, One is the Low Profile one, one is not. the one that is not does not fit under the jack pad on the front end of my Ci unless I jack up the back a bit first, so the Low Profile is the way to go.

Also picked up 4 pad adapters these for the jacks

#25 ·
I had some issues getting the jack under the car as well. At first I bought their smallest low profile racing jack. That did not even come close to reaching my front center jacking point (my car does have one). I returned it and got the next size up, but it still doesn't quite reach, so I just drive up on some boards first.

#29 ·
#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.