E46 Fanatics Forum banner

overheating

4K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  majestic69 
#1 · (Edited)
y is it overheating when i start it up it shoots to hot in a second any ideas guys
i replaced the thermostat but still dose it usually happens once in the morning first warm up i have to sit in the car whole time so it don't stay hot for but a second i usually just turn it off and then it goes back to cold it has only done it to me once when i am driving 3 times when i am sitting warming it up i live in cold ass Wyoming so maybe that has something to do with it ????

#2 ·
y is it overheating when i start it up it shoots to hot in a second any ideas guys
i replaced water pump but still dose it usually happens once in the morning first warm up i have to sit in the car whole time so it don't stay hot for but a second i usually just turn it off and then it goes back to cold it has only done it to me once when i am driving 3 times when i am sitting warming it up i live in cold ass Wyoming so maybe that has something to do with it ????
thats y

c sig. do it all.

#44 · (Edited)
Classic. Maybe you should replace it all again just in case. :lmao:
Ray,
If you read later in the thread it was discovered that the entire cooling system was not replaced...most of it yes, but all of it, no.

I would like to also mention that people are describing the symptoms manifesting with the onset of cold temperatures.
I am going to rephrase that as:
The symptoms are manifesting when the owners are turning on the heat.

You can have air in the system, and potentially, never know about it, until you finally need to turn on the heat.

I just thought I would throw that out there.

#47 · (Edited)
I would like to also mention that people are describing the symptoms manifesting with the onset of cold temperatures.
I am going to rephrase that as:
The symptoms are manifesting when the owners are turning on the heat.
That would be an incorrect observation, at least in my situation. I have been using my heat steady on full since I bought the car, it is only manifesting now that the temp is REALLY cold. Which would point more towards some sort of electrical contact/sensor issue.

I will bleed my system just for the hell of it anyway, it can't hurt anything.

Majestic- make sure you post back if you solve your problem, but I'm guessing we have different issues if you are loosing coolant.

#3 ·
i replaced water pump but still dose it usually happens once in the morning first warm up i have to sit in the car whole time so it don't stay hot for but a second i usually just turn it off and then it goes back to cold it has only done it to me once when i am driving 3 times when i am sitting warming it up i live in cold ass Wyoming so maybe that has something to do with it ????
welcome to the forum man.

for everyone else. This used to be my car, it was running great. A little background on the new owners location which is high altitude and cold weather. We are not sure if it affects the car. I think its probably the contacts on the sensors that maybe shrunk enough with the cold weather to cause a misread. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

#5 · (Edited)
temperature sensor is malfunctioning. clean contacts w/ contact cleaner and a brush then try again. if that doesn't work, replace the sensor.

Also, please use punctuation. It is hard enough to figure out what is wrong with a car. I don't want to have to hire a lunguist to translate your posts. You owe me $15 for his hourly rate.

#19 · (Edited)
You did what? Bleed the system?
You certainly wouldn't be the first to have to rebleed the cooling system.

Try it again:

When the engine is cold:

Start the car and run it at 2k rpm for less than 30 sec.
(This will allow enough pressure to build, and will help with the bleeding.)

Then

Engine off, but key on, position II

Turn heat temp to highest °

Turn the analog dial between center vent to Red.

Fan speed at least On. (I set it to Max on my third and successful attempt on my most recent cooling overhaul)

Completely unscrew bleeder and pour, pour, and keep pouring into the ET, until the water comes out of the bleeder in a smooth bubble free stream.

Close up bleeder syphon excess coolant (i use a turkey baster) and close ET, go for a drive, with your heater on, and stay close to home, and have your distilled water with you to be sure and safe.

Check the level again when engine is completely cold, before the next time you set off. You may find that the level is a bit low, just top it off until the tip of the float is flush with the filler.

#26 ·
ty for the step by step i did that last night and i just checked it was way low plunger was all the way down ???? what the **** could it be air bubble maybe i need to re bleed it again i just added 50 50 mix and ran it for half hour it never went past the normal runing temp

#32 ·
I lived in Alma, CO (South Park)

10,5xx feet elevation. Highest Municipality in the US
I Used to have to park facing South in the winter to keep snowdrifts from piling in through the kidneys.
Blankets over the engine on really cold nights. Etc...

Average Annual temperature 43°F

My X3 6MT m54b30 was fantastic in the brutal winter.
It was brand new, but if your car is well maintained it will hold up fine.

My Bavarian Grandmother told me it does get kinda cold in the mother land as well, so these cars are built for cold.

#39 ·
So did bleeding fix this?? My car is doing the exact same thing. Sure doesn't seem like an actual temperature issue. The gauge spikes high right from the blue mark, then as soon as you cycle the key it drops right back down to where it was before the spike.

I have already checked my coolant level and it is perfect. And this problem only started happening since it got cold here(below -20C)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.