E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DA M661 Driver Damage - ideas?

960 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  scud 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've got a pair of diamond audio M661's up front for both of my component midbass units. I noticed they were distorting w/ medium-light drum tones, and I thought it was just my imagination. But 2 hours and some broken door clips later, I've discovered that the drivers are damaged.

The easiest way to explain it is that a small 1-2 inch section of the rubber surround has come un-glued from the metal basket. This, in turn, apparantly caused the surround to warp a little and led to the distortion I was hearing.

The speakers are free to move forward as I have them set up, but I was wondering if anyone could offer another plausible explanation for this. Both the drivers are only about 1.5 years old, and I wouldn't expect this kind of specific, isolated, and duplicated identical wear pattern from units this young.

Ideas? :dunno:

#3 ·
IDEA>..

IDEA: yeah, here's an idea... tell them to get their SSHIIIYYYAT together and replace your pair...hows that?

djabaley said:
Ok well for the sake of someone who searches for this odd topic in the future...

A call to DA revealed that they are reformulating their glue to stand up better to heat and humidity, and that was the likely cause of my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.