E46 Fanatics Forum banner

McIntosh MX406 or Nakamichi CD700

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  31st330i 
#1 ·
Which one do you guys think better?
Also i am thinking to get dynaudio system 360 or the rainbow pro series, which one is a better component.
thanks

#2 ·
rr14 said:
Which one do you guys think better?
Also i am thinking to get dynaudio system 360 or the rainbow pro series, which one is a better component.
thanks
rr14,

I have the McIntosh in my 325i. It's an excellent unit. This is probably one of the best head units you can buy. I had a chance to compare it directly with a $600 Alpine and there was really no comparison. The McIntosh had a lot better lower-end definition and greater overall clarity. I also have McIntosh separates and amps. Great sound from all components--a bit pricey but top-notch performance.

I would also warn you against buying a Nakamichi unit. They used to be a respected manufacturer but in the last several years, there CD units have exhibited a lot of skipping problems. A dealer or two I spoke to about the issue said that Nakamichi has systematically denied claims of skipping even to the dealers themselves. As a result, the dealers have dropped the product.

Regarding your speaker options, I have heard of Dynaudio. I believe it is a respected product but I can't vouch personally for the sound. I don't believe I've ever heard of Rainbow, however. I haven't read any magazines real recently but I have been familiar with car audio brands for many years and did extensive research on the systems for my previous (1995) and my current (2002) car.

Hope this helps :)

#5 ·
Steph_330ci,

Whereas Clarion and McIntosh are now affiliated--meaning one company bought the other sometime in the recent years--I don't believe that that means that Clarion is now manufacturing McIntosh product or vice-versa. I believe that all it means is that one company simply owns the other but the manufacturing processes and products are largely as they were before the purchase. I guess what I'm saying is: Don't think that you'll get historical McIntosh quality by purchasing Clarion product and paying Clarion prices. My two cents, I 'spose :)

rr14,

You're welcome. The McIntosh can, in fact, read CD-R's. I believe most relatively modern CD will. I have a number of CDs I have dubbed to CD-R and I have never had a problem with playback--it's just like a normal CD. Now, I will say that I don't believe the unit will read CD-RW's. However, I also believe that that is the case again with most CD players out there.

#6 ·
Well, i have to say your wrong. Somebody close to me went to the Clarion head office and visited the warehouse. As he saw those McIntosh units, he asked what were they doing there. the Clarion VP informed him that they manufacture these units. Perhaps in the past when McIntosh was a sole company, the top of the line parts were used( not saying that Clarion is not a top of the line brand) and now that Clarion bought them and want to keep the brandname for the prestige doesn't mean that the internal componants were kept. Look at all the join ventures in the automobile (US manufacturers buying out British companies). Can you still say that Aston Martin is trully an English made car or do you agree that lots of Ford's technology and parts are now used in those "prestigious" cars?

#7 ·
I just spoke with someone at my local audio store and he said that McIntosh is not owned by Clarion anymore. He said that some Chinese holding company bought the McIntosh and he also said that the MC series amp is much better than the latest MCC series amps.

#8 · (Edited)
I can vouch for the McIntosh 406 as I had one in a previous vehicle (non BMW) along with McIntosh amps and Dynaudio speakers. That was the best, cleanest most accurate system I've ever heard in a car. to really appreciate a system like that to the fullest, you need really good source material such as audiophile grade jazz, blues or classsical music. Don't get me wrong, everything sounded good but these recordings REALLY sounded good.

Anyway, I purchased all this gear back in 1997 and back then Clarion was INDEED making the McIntosh stuff. I think Clarion did own McIntosh car audio back then. It was well known that the MX-406 was the SAME unit as the Clarion 9255. The differences were that they had different faceplates and the McIntosh had a slightly newer version of the burr brown dacs. I don't remember what it was specicifally but the 9255 had one slight feature advantage over the 406 so they were pretty even.

Here's some info on the 9255. you can probably still find one but keep in mind that I think they were discontinued a while back so everything you find will be a few years old.
http://www.carreview.com/CD,Receivers/Clarion ,DRX-9255/PRD_3759_2861crx.aspx

Even comparing the Clarion to the McIntosh amps back then there were similarly configured models with just slightly diferent power ratings. Both brands had a lot of the same unique features like the PWM power supply (or whatever it was called) and the powerguard circuit (which you must have on the head unit and all amps to take advantage of it).

this topic, as I recall, was often dicsussed on the following news group: news:rec.audio.car

#9 ·
HU's do not have audible sonic differences. One might have a stronger preout and lower THD, but if you say you can hear better low end or top end because of a HU, I don't buy it. In a home a CDP has audible differences in it's sonics. In the car, you cannot tell, and for some reason if you could it is nothing an eq cannot change. I know top competitors using what would be considered "low end" decks. Get a HU based on what you need it to do and low THD. As far as speakers are concered, dynaudios are good but lack top end unless you get the esotar tweets.

#10 ·
learthworml said:
HU's do not have audible sonic differences.
:argue: Everyone else that I've ever spoken to in the audio industry on the subject (relative to both home and car audio, BTW), including Al Filepeli at Dynaudio would completely disagree with that statement. I disagree as well, based on personal experience. That statement, however, IS commonly made but in reference to amplifiers. The higher output is indeed part of what is more desireable. You're right about that. That McIntosh has a self cleaning rotary volume know, for example. That is an audiophile upgrade right there. Also, as I recall, it had an outboard power supply. You don't normally see this sort of thing in car audio but you do see outboard power supplies with some high end preamps. BTW, the Clarion 9255 also had these features as I recall.

#12 ·
31st330i said:
:argue: Everyone else that I've ever spoken to in the audio industry on the subject (relative to both home and car audio, BTW), including Al Filepeli at Dynaudio would completely disagree with that statement. I disagree as well, based on personal experience. That statement, however, IS commonly made but in reference to amplifiers. The higher output is indeed part of what is more desireable. You're right about that. That McIntosh has a self cleaning rotary volume know, for example. That is an audiophile upgrade right there. Also, as I recall, it had an outboard power supply. You don't normally see this sort of thing in car audio but you do see outboard power supplies with some high end preamps. BTW, the Clarion 9255 also had these features as I recall.
If I decide to go up north to compete in IASCA competitions up there this season, maybe we could meet up and try a blind test. I will bet you 500 bucks in a blind test after the frequency response is eqed flat you will not be able to tell the difference between two hu's. We can do a blind test between an alpine 9813, pioneer p1r, nak cd400, a Denon Z1 and a micntosh hu if you want. As long as it is below the distortion level and clipping level of the HU, you will be not able to tell the difference. We can use my alto processor and my laptop to eq it flat.

#13 ·
learthworml said:
If I decide to go up north to compete in IASCA competitions up there this season, maybe we could meet up and try a blind test. I will bet you 500 bucks in a blind test after the frequency response is eqed flat you will not be able to tell the difference between two hu's. We can do a blind test between an alpine 9813, pioneer p1r, nak cd400, a Denon Z1 and a micntosh hu if you want. As long as it is below the distortion level and clipping level of the HU, you will be not able to tell the difference. We can use my alto processor and my laptop to eq it flat.
thanks for the offer. I never did make it to an IASCA competition when I was more into this. perhaps. drop me a line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.