E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Lets Talk Motor Mounts

23K views 95 replies 36 participants last post by  stosh1 
#1 ·
I have not seen a discussion on this recently.

I dont give my motor mounts much thought really. Should I?
2005, 30k miles. Its not the mileage, its time passage that make me think.

How many people are on their OEM set still?

What is your opinion on solids? HPF Solids? What about delrin or poly mounts?

Please include noise, vibration and comfort in your explanations.

#72 ·
What complaints are you guys having with oem mounts? I prefer using oe engine mounts. For trans mounts the oe ones work good especially with the enforcer cups. I have been unimpressed with every poly engine mount, and the only issue with the oe engine mounts are they compress with time. There are several nice trans mounts, but most of them add nvh to an otherwise vibration-free car.

#78 ·
I had Bimmerworld solid rubber for 2 weeks, OEM M3 for almost a year and now I have these

They feel amazing!

have been using the Rogue Rubber Trans Bushings the whole time too. Only complaint was with the Bimmerworld MM's, to much vibration.

Feels like my car got more quiet with these in there, my flywheel chatter sounds different too, in a good way...

#85 ·
After speaking w/Phil (from VT) & Colin (our U.S. distributor) at length when I was first researching these, it was pretty conclusive that unless you have a dedicated track car or are a hardcore type guy, that it's best to stick w/the road version. The comp. version is exactly that, and will transmit some NVH to the cockpit.

As has been discovered by everyone who's installed them, the road version gives a noticeable improvement in responsiveness...you can definitely feel a more direct connection between the throttle & engine response! I would recommend these in 99% of all situations!:thumbsup:

#91 ·
Those guys at M3forum are retarded, nobody states what type they have, road or comp, no wonder im banned from over there.....so does anyone know if all of them are just talking about the road version? im guessing yes.....m3forum is for the slow m3's with no need to go extreme on engine mounts lol

#93 · (Edited)
Wow, yup, no wonder you're banned from over there-can't understand why w/that attitude???:hmm: Maybe I'll have to rethink extending the next GB over here on E46Fanatics...because thay're all retarded.

You could've PM'd me directly, or if I missed your question somewhere, you could've simply restated it. I recently posted over on M3F that I think all but 1 or 2 people received the road version. There is really no need for the comp version in 99% of most situations, unless you're a hardcore track junkie, or you don't mind some NVH in the cabin at idle speeds.

Here is an edited quote from Colin below:

If anyone was wondering what insert to pick for the engine mount, pick the road version everytime. The comp mounts are engineered only to concentrate on isolating vibrations above around 4000 rpm in order to best restrain engine movement under severe use (i.e. mostly in a track environment). Because every car I have seen on here, or every owner I have interacted with, this (the comp version) is not for you. Thats very important to know.

#92 · (Edited)
Well with that kind of attitude you're not likely to get help... Unless otherwise stated, assume road. The vendor was dissuading people from buying the competition version.

Why not just email them with details of your car and ask what they think will be best? Or if you don't mind having vibrations at lower RPMs, just buy the comps

#96 · (Edited)
A quote from Colin below:

"However good news is I should have the trans mount next week. Its on revision three and ready for testing. Stan its headed your way. Anyone thats sent me questions about mounts over the last two weeks can you please re send. I have been out of town and my Email as a result is fubar."

Once I receive the mount & get it installed, and have the opportunity to log a few miles, I'll report back w/a full review.:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.