• Community-Based Support
  • Helpful Tips, Work-Arounds, and How-To Guides
  • Frequently Asked Questions

What this thread isn't for:

• Dynavin Radios Of Any Variety
  • Should I / Shouldn't I Buy
  • Windows CE
  • Arguments and Bad Vibes, maaaan.

With as cluttered and filled with outdated information as the current thread has become, it's time to fork it off into something a bit more concise and focused.

FAQ:

1. Where do I buy this radio?
    Go to Alibaba and get in contact with Charles or Jolly, who I think might be Charles in a wig.
    After some research, I believe I have found their actual photos:

Charles....................Jolly
  2. What all does the radio do?
    The radio is like the Dynavin, in that the "Navigation" portion is a separate computer board. This one runs Android.

Here's the feature set:

Code:
    1)Double Din GPS Car DVD Player with 7" Touch Screen Monitor
    2)800*480 resolution
    3)Steering Wheel Controls
    4)Built-in Bluetooth for mobile hands-free and audio playback.
    5)Built in IPOD function
    6)4X50W maximum power output from built-in amp
    7)Compatible with DVD,DVD-R,DVD-RW,HDVD,DVCD,MP3,MP4,CD-R,CD-RW,VCD,DIVX,WMA and so on.
    8)Built in analog TV tuner (DVB-T and ISDB-T are optional)
    9)AV output/input,AUX. 
    10)GPS function,built in gps module.
    11)Radio receiving: FM/AM can be stored 32 stations. RDS is available .
    12)USB/SD card port: support MP4,DIVX,JPEG,MP3 and WMA playback
    13)Car reverse camera input (switches automatically)
    14)Multi-Language Options
    Here's the specs for the Android side:

Code:
    CPU: TCC8925 1.2Ghz Dual Core
    RAM: 1G DDR2 RAM
    Internal Storage: 4GB Internal FLASH
    External Storage: Up to 32GB microSD
    1 USB Port (Host Mode Only)
  3. How much does it cost?
    With the Radio, Wifi Dongle, Reverse Camera, and Shipping, plus a 5% Paypal Fee they want $630. 3G dongles are $30. They are willing to negotiate some.
  4. What if it doesn't work / it doesn't arrive / etc
    You will deal with Charles, and it will be a painful, drawn-out process. He seems to respond best to a Paypal dispute.
  5. Will navigation work perfectly right out of the box?
    No. Navigation will probably not work right out of the box.
  6. Well, how do I fix the navigation, then? The button says NAVI right on it!
    First, you need to root the device. Second, you'll need to install my custom framework.jar to resolve an issue with it calculating your moving speed at 1.852x your actual speed. Third, if you want to use iGO, the stock-installed Navigation app, you'll need to use a program like LCDDensity for Root to change your DPI to 145. It's an ugly hack, though, because it's not the native density, and causes some apps to behave funny. I have verified that TomTom works at the "original" density of 160, and everything looks perfect with the font size set to "small" in the Android settings menu. I haven't tried to crank up the density even further.
  7. Why can't I install X or Y application from the Play Store?
    You might be running an unsupported DPI for that app, or the app doesn't like the id string in your build.prop. This is something that will be sorted out soon, by myself or others in the community. In the meantime, it's pretty easy to obtain the actual APKs for applications. If you have an Android phone, and you've installed the app you want, use SaveAPK and OI File Manager, both free, to export the APK for use on another device.
  8. What about Bluetooth? I want Torque!
    I haven't had the chance to experiment with Bluetooth dongles, or look through to see if there are even any Bluetooth drivers built into the kernel. Otherwise, Torque Pro does support USB ELM327 devices in Android. With a USB hub, and the proper ELM327 device, you would be up and running.
  9. What else can I do with it?
    Subsonic
    I run a Subsonic server from a PC in my house. With the Subsonic app on Android, and an internet connection (wifi tethered to my phone) I have access to my entire music and video library. It works extremely well, and I've been using it for a couple of years in my other vehicle, where I've replaced the stock radio with a Samsung Galaxy Tab and an external amp.
    Pandora
    You'll have to come up with an APK for it, since it won't install from the Play store, but when you're sick of your own music collection, it's Pandora to the rescue.
    Tune-In Radio
    Listen to your favorite radio station from your old home town, sports games that are blacked out in your area, or a local police scanner feed.
    Glympse
    This is one of my favorite apps, and another one for which you'll need an APK. It will allow you to send your current GPS location to anyone, for a period of time that you specify, and it'll give them a link on the Glympse server to watch you travel. I use it when I'm traveling a long distance, to see family or friends, if I'm late to a customer meeting, if I'm meeting friends at the pub, or if anyone ever asks me, "Where are you?" I send them a "Glympse" from the Glympse widget, and they can see my location, current speed, and if I've put in a destination, an ETA, all overlaid on a Google map.
    Yelp
    When I'm in a new city, I always need to know, "What's good to eat nearby?" The Yelp app for Android will tell you the restaurants close by, whether they're open now, etc, based on your GPS location.
    Youtube
    I'm sure you know what this does.
    ...the list goes on and on
  10. Wtf? Sound from Android only comes out of the front!
    Go to the "Radio Side", into "sound" portion of the settings menu, and set Music_NAV to OFF.
  11. Wtf? It's REALLY LOUD!
    Your BMW must have a factory amp. The best thing to do is get an adjustable 4 channel Line Output Converter, and splice it into the harness that came with the radio. The BMW factory amp is "special", and requires more oomph than normal line-level (RCA) output, but less oomph than speaker-level output. An adjustable 4 channel Line Output Converter (LOC) will let you dial this in. Something like this should work fine.
  12. Wtf? My USB drive doesn't show up in Android when plugged into the second USB port on the back!
    There's only one USB port for the Android side, and it's the top one in the set of two plugs on the back of the radio. The bottom plug goes to the "Radio Side." If you need to hook up more than one device (wifi dongle + anything else), you'll need to hook up a USB hub.

When you first get your radio, here's what you'll want to do:

1. Download the zip posted here: http://www.mediafire.com/?cj853v4gzn66i2o, rename it to "update.zip", and put it in the root of your microSD card.
  2. Go to settings>about Tablet>System updates>External Storage>Install Update.
  3. When it comes back up, you're rooted.
  4. Next, you'll want to install my Modded Framework.jar.
    ---HERE BE DRAGONS---
    ---THIS CAN BRICK YOUR RADIO---
    ---YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED---

The easiest way to install this is to put it on your microSD card, use ES File Explorer, mount the system as read/write, go to your microSD card, long press the new framework.jar and hit "copy." Then, go to /system/framework and long press framework.jar to rename it to framework.jar.old. Then, press the "paste" button at the top. Exit out of ES File Explorer. Open it back up, and verify the new framework.jar is in /system/framework. Reboot.
  5. If you want to use iGo for Navigation, get LCD Density For Root and change your density to 145 DPI. iGo will then stop crashing out, telling you that you have an unsupported resolution.

Google Navigation does not work. The "driveabout" turn-by-turn portion requires the GPS driver to provide location accuracy data, which ours does not. Your alternatives are iGo and TomTom. Navigon probably works, as well as others, but I have not verified anything else as of yet.

See less See more
#38 · (Edited)
Just out of interest does anyone get an SD card damaged warning, even though their SD seems fine?

Im concerned it may be a rom issue?

Also trying to get tom-tom running but no luck...it cant find the files on the sd card, even after altering metadata.xml

To add to this, I think it could be a rom issue here - A few apps tell me memory card is inaccessible, but i can see it using es file explorer and music can see mp3s etc. Ive just switched cards to a samsung 32gb class 10, and same issue.

Could it be that these apps are looking for mnt/sdcard when the actual path to the sd is mnt/ext_sd ?

ES File Explorer can get navigated to three directories..

/sdcard
/mnt/ext_sd

Both go to the Micro SD in Map slot

/mnt/sdcard

is empty and doesnt seem accessible.

#39 · (Edited)
Made a video showing this issue.

i do believe the issue is with /mnt/sdcard

It shows as empty in es file explorer, and sd car analyst detects no sd card..im sure its just a path issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueSGqFvrRQ

Just so you know what youre looking at, i show that /sdcard/ and /mnt/ext_sd/ both refer to the sd card in the map slot, however when i go to /mnt/sdcard/ it is empty and can't be written to....also, es file explorer complains when attempting to analyse the sd.

heres a screenshot of the properties for /mnt/sdcard/ :

Note the read/write permissions.

#40 · (Edited)
/mnt/sdcard is a 1GB partition carved out of the internal NAND storage.
/mnt/ext_sd is your external sd card.

If /mnt/sdcard is showing as damaged, or empty, there's an issue with the NAND partition.

As far as writing to the external card goes, some factory roms has the write_external_storage permission turned off.

To fix this, we can edit /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml and add the following lines:
Code:
<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>
Well, apparently this forum can't properly parse the code if I paste that info inline, here it is on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/h549v15q

#48 ·
Hello all,

One remaining annoying issue is that Igo does not save the settings, I had read some time ago that the sdcard would not allow write but only read, with the root can we solve this ?

Also what can we do so that ALL apps are allowed to be installed and that we don't have the "your device is not compatible" message, one good exampole is dropbox which cannot be installed.

Thanks

#49 ·
Issue #1, I would recommend a reinstall of iGo. Mine has always saved the settings just fine. Just that, after saving the settings for the first time, if your DPI isn't set to 145, it refuses to run. There has to be an issue with your installation, I think.

Issue #2, that's something that needs ironed out. It's a simple change in the build.prop file, so that your device looks like something more popular to the Google Play store. To get around it, I just find the actual .apk files (I pull them off of my phone), and install them. After that, they update just fine on the radio.

You could try Market Enabler: http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/

I haven't tried that yet.

#59 ·
OK sorry for all the posts, I figured it out.

The yellow rca goes to the brown input. I wired all the wires (including the license plate light cause I was dumb) to the reverse lights. So the led and the camera only come on when Im in reverse

I spliced the two pinks together (which didn't do anything) so I added a wire that goes from the pink (after they're spliced together) to a blue with yellow stripe I located behind the fuse box in the glove compartment. All is good now. Thanks for the support and patience

#62 ·
There is only 1 port that android sees, it's the one in the back where you have to connect the wifi dongle, so the idea is to buy a 12v to 5v converter, and powered USB hub and to install everything behind with some USB extensions cable going to an accesible place. But when you do this (or you remove the wifi) your usb flash drive is seen and it's contents can be used (for music, movies, whatever)

The other back USB prot and the front ones are only here for the radio side of things so they.

#63 ·
Hi all,

Just installed one of these units and trying to get to grips with it. Due to my inquisitive nature I have managed to root it and then apply various changes to the build.prop to screw it up but then managed to get it up and running again by trial and error .... does anyone have the original build.prop so I can get back to where I started from?

Also, I am using a Samba Mobile dongle (for free 3g data) but have to use the PPP Widget to manually connect it everytime I boot up ... any idea's how I can automate this?

Also wanting to install Torque via bluetooth but starting to appreciate this may not be possible ... any progress on this?

Cheers

#70 · (Edited)
You can extract the original build.prop from this file. You'll probably want to change your display's density though.

Not sure on the 3g dongle thing.

I don't know of a bluetooth adapter that works at the moment, as I haven't been able to test any. However, there are USB and Wifi ELM327 devices that should work fine with Torque.

Does the USB hub really need to be powered?

I use a Belkin 4 port USB hub currently with a Dynavin d99+ and that works perfectly.
It doesn't need to be powered, unless you're using a device that requires more power than the USB port pushes, such as an external hard drive. USB sticks / dongles / etc should be plenty happy with the current bus power.

Hi guys

I have the model Enco B-090, for my E90
I understand that everything you write here is also valid for this model.
Is that so? especially the root issue..

Tcc8925 1.2g cpu

http://szenco.en.alibaba.com/produc...en_For_BMW_E90_with_3G_and_WIFI_Function.html
Root should be the same for this model.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. My SDcard is empty, and no system come to it.
Apparently is not mounted. Did you manage to solve this topic? :cry::cry:
Mintimperial can help you with this one. There's a modification that can be made to the vold.fstab file that should resolve the issue with it reporting the internal SD as damaged.

#73 ·
Thanks ¡¡

Already I found it. The translation to the Spanish is so bad, that did not have anything to see with this...

Another question.
When I power on the radio, all the radio memories are lost. Also the parameters of ecualización (bass, treble, et)

What is the problem ??:facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.