E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #61
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
If you have a euro tray I really like my aux installed in the otherwise useless pen holder.
I do not have a Euro tray (would like to get one) and that reminds me that my cupholder tray is kind of busted up, so I need to replace that.

Installing an AUX line I'm sure is child's play for you but it's intimidating for me... Been meaning to get what I need at Radio Shack for ages now.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #62
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Actually, I decided it wasn't worth "making" one when I priced it out, and I bought the factory one from BMW San Francisco on Amazon for $35. . I think parts wise it was something stupid like $20-25 to make a single one, (less if making several).
Not worth the headaches for the $15 saved.
Install is actually easy, I've done both the x3 (normal head) and the e46/3 (Nav).
Technically, I've done the e46/3 3 times, kept moving the jack location

Remove trim and headunit, plug in to existing connector on head unit. Drop cable down right side and pull it out into the area under the cupholders. Then it is just making a hole where you want it, or chopping off the end of the pen holder to feed the wire thru.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #63
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

I think it's more complicated on my '02 vs. your '04. I'm going to have to splice it into the CD changer line (I have no changer but it's pre-wired for one). Definitely not plug-and-play, from what I understand.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #64
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
I do not have a Euro tray (would like to get one) and that reminds me that my cupholder tray is kind of busted up, so I need to replace that.

Installing an AUX line I'm sure is child's play for you but it's intimidating for me... Been meaning to get what I need at Radio Shack for ages now.
I did the BMW OEM aux install. You have to check the build date on your radio to make sure your radio supports it. I believe it has to be 09/2002+. But if you are not using the cd-changer you should be able to splice into that wiring, or plug the aux input into that.

The BMW kit is 82110149389

I decided to put my input next to the seat heater switches. It takes a bit more time that way but it's not a bad job at all.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=357179

I need to find an aux cable with controls so that I can skip songs without opening my phone.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #65
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
No plans other than fixing what's broken and basic maintenance. Lots of little things:

- Torn trunk harness boot (elephant trunk)

I think that's it. Might like to try a different set of wheels at some point but for right now I like the 68s.
Let me know when you find the fix to this. Mine has also torn right where the rubber collar opens up to go into the trunk

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #66
Onizukachan

Pm'd you Spannerhead with an aux solution.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 01-05-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #67
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby13 View Post
I did the BMW OEM aux install. You have to check the build date on your radio to make sure your radio supports it. I believe it has to be 09/2002+. But if you are not using the cd-changer you should be able to splice into that wiring, or plug the aux input into that.

The BMW kit is 82110149389

I decided to put my input next to the seat heater switches. It takes a bit more time that way but it's not a bad job at all.

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=357179

I need to find an aux cable with controls so that I can skip songs without opening my phone.
Mine is a 4/02. Kit no worky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Let me know when you find the fix to this. Mine has also torn right where the rubber collar opens up to go into the trunk
If you want to do it right, I don't think there's a fix other than fishing all the wires through the trunk opening, unclipping the connectors one at a time, running them through the boot then reclipping. That's what I plan to do, at least. Have the replacement boot sitting my "E46 parts" box in the garage.

Quote:
Pm'd you Spannerhead with an aux solution.
Replied. Much appreciated.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #68
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Mine is a 4/02. Kit no worky.

If you want to do it right, I don't think there's a fix other than fishing all the wires through the trunk opening, unclipping the connectors one at a time, running them through the boot then reclipping. That's what I plan to do, at least. Have the replacement boot sitting my "E46 parts" box in the garage.

Replied. Much appreciated.

Wonder how hard it is to fish the wires in and out of the trunk panel

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #69
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Some more updates. Don't have pics for everything, but the car's coming along nicely.

- Replaced fuel filter and fuel pump last month. Preventative. Super easy job.
- During the course of replacement, I must've damaged the F-connector the FPR vacuum line connects to, since I started having intermittent rough running and a recurring P1347 code, among others.
- Bought a Stinger smoke tester:

and put it to work. Awesome tool. Can't say enough good about it---one of the best $90 I've spent on a tool.

It located 2 vacuum leaks: Lower intake boot tears and the broken F-connector. Everything else is tight: DISA, CCV, valve cover gasket---all good.

Replaced the offending parts, and the car runs great now.

Replaced the spark plugs on Saturday:

Think it was time?

No oil whatsoever in any of the spark plug holes. Bone dry.

I also swapped out the #5 coil, which for some reason was different than the others:

Anybody recognize the brand?

The car runs fantastic. Pulls hard all over the tach.

Also, this happened earlier in the month:

15K with it so far in 15 months. Hopefully many more to come!

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-27-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #70
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Nice milestone. I need to do a smoke test cause I believe I have a vacuum leak somewhere

Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #71
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
You've only been here 15 months? Nice work though! Makes me want to update my thread. Is she all up to date?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #72
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Nice milestone. I need to do a smoke test cause I believe I have a vacuum leak somewhere
As much as jfoj (rightly) preaches about a Veepeak and OBDFusion being a required tool for E46 owners, I think a smoke tester is as well. $90 would save people SO much time and frustration in diagnosing misfires and helping them know exactly what parts to buy.

All you really need is a compressed air source.

Here's a video I made of my 1st smoke test:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
You've only been here 15 months? Nice work though! Makes me want to update my thread. Is she all up to date?
Yep; bought "Indigo" (my kids' name for it) in early Jan. 2016. So yeah, almost 15 mos.

By "up to date," do you mean all fixed? If so, no; there are always a lot of little things going on, mostly cosmetic. But mechanically it's damn near perfect except for the classic E46 shift pin issue.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 03-27-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #73
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Yep; bought "Indigo" (my kids' name for it) in early Jan. 2016. So yeah, almost 15 mos.

By "up to date," do you mean all fixed? If so, no; there are always a lot of little things going on, mostly cosmetic. But mechanically it's damn near perfect except for the classic E46 shift pin issue.
Oh wow! You just always sound so informed. I mean, you probably have more automotive experience beyond this car, but still. Glad to hear it's running well! Your slicktop definitely looks the part!
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #74
Onizukachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Oh wow! You just always sound so informed. I mean, you probably have more automotive experience beyond this car, but still. Glad to hear it's running well! Your slicktop definitely looks the part!
Me n Spannerhead are transplants from bf.c e34.
Digital computer modules instead of analog modules, multilink instead of swingarms, m54 instead of an m50...but a Lego is a Duplo is a Lego.
(especially when you step on one in the dark)

Old 03-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #75
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

^Yep; it's not our first BMW rodeo. Pat's on here too you know with his M3 vert. We're the only BF.C E34 refugees I've come across so far.

There are days I miss the simplicity (and the boxy look) of the E34, esp. the 525...but the E46 is a nicer car overall, and is just as easy (or difficult) to work on. For an electronics guru like yourself, I would think it would be a match made in heaven.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #76
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Great thread and very nice car!

I may have to look into the smoke machine you used.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #77
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Hey; thanks very much! She's not a cream puff, but when clean she shows very well.

Once I figure out a quick an easy solution to mate the smoke machine hose to the intake boot, I plan to put together a DIY.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #78
Onizukachan

We used to use 3" or 4" sewer pipe caps on DSMs instead of the mag when we would pressure check the intake tract to find boost leaks. Maybe something like that, and jb weld whatever fitting into the Cap. Is needed?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #79
Onizukachan

Quote:
^Yep; it's not our first BMW rodeo. Pat's on here too you know with his M3 vert. We're the only BF.C E34 refugees I've come across so far.

There are days I miss the simplicity (and the boxy look) of the E34, esp. the 525...but the E46 is a nicer car overall, and is just as easy (or difficult) to work on. For an electronics guru like yourself, I would think it would be a match made in heaven.

Flipwills and ggray are here also in the touring section.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #80
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
We used to use 3" or 4" sewer pipe caps on DSMs instead of the mag when we would pressure check the intake tract to find boost leaks. Maybe something like that, and jb weld whatever fitting into the Cap. Is needed?
That's the plan. I'm going to take the old upper intake boot to Lowe's or Home Depot and find the right size PVC cap and drill and JB weld a fitting onto it. Funnel + duct tape es no bueno.

Quote:
Flipwills and ggray are here also in the touring section.
Flipwills I don't know. ggray I vaguely remember...