E46 Fanatics Forum banner

CarPC to end all Dynavins

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  turbo_f22_pilot 
#1 · (Edited)
Problem: My E46's D99 Dynavin (WinCE 5) doesn't want to process video in, so it's become a toshiba ARM 2440 MCU experimenter board that looks like bmw parts to play with, but a car without head.

Solution:I'm going to install a carpc with the following specs on my 2003 330xi.

I ordered the E46 Xenarc bezel for the 700TSV from Janus.

Everyone, including Kenishi over there says it works with all Xenarc 7" monitors, but I'm getting sticking with the TSV. I'm going with Xenarc over liliput for the linux support and because I like the look better.

aux headphone in

Remote start/heat:
2 Channel Programmable Remote Control Momentary Switch​

Programmable Button:
Function:stealth switch (all lights off, mute audio), performance switch (change timing, turn off ac, etc.)
1xSilver Stainless Steel Momentary Pushbutton 16mm​

PC PWR:
1xSilver Stainless Steel Momentary Pushbutton 16mm​

Ignition Kill switch:
1xBlack Latching Pushbutton Automotive Switch 16mm
(have to figure out where to connect)​

Jump switch:
Function: batt 1 to batt. 2 connect/UPS(PC+Amp) to batt 2 disconnect
Material: 1xBlack Latching Pushbutton Automotive Switch 16mm
Relays​

Joycon EXR Steering Wheel Control PC Interface
(can I just use rolfs ibus interface?)

USB
dc-dc converter
Powered wrt-54g dd-wrt AP
Powered USB Hub
USB A female to motherboard header adapter
15' USB cable
2.5-Foot USB Male to male cable CBL-BLK-USB-AMAM​

Displays
Janus Designs Bezel
Xenarc 700TSV 7" TFT LCD Touchscreen Monitor New 2010 Model
Xenarc 700 Series extra long Monitor Cable 5 Meters (16.4 feet), New Version, 26 Pin
VGA duplicator
15" acer monitor
ergonomic arm​

Power
Mini-Box SFX / ATX enclosure for M4-ATX
M4-ATX 250W Intelligent DC-DC PSU
M4-ATX USB Cable 3'
Mini-Box picoUPS-120 ATX DC micro UPS system / battery backup system for 12V automotive enviroments.
12V battery for ups and jump start button​

Chassis:
Compaq CQ2009f
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3887062
Foxconn H-I945-ITX mini-itx mobo
1.6Ghz single core Atom 230
64GB SSD
2GB DDR
gma 950 graphics
realtek alc662 audio
10Mbit LAN​

Bluetooth:
USB stick​

Wifi:
Alfa usb wardriving kit (use with backtrack)​

3g/4g:
tethering via bluetooth, usb, or actual 3g/4g+sim i don't know yet​

HD Radio
MJS HD Radio USB PC Interface Cable
Visteon HD Radio Component Car Tuner Kit​

FM/ATSC/NTSC/Q-CSb?
USB stick​

Ham/UHF/VHF/Scanner/XMIT/etc.
diy radio box​

Dashcam:
R310 2.7-inch 140 degrees Dual Lens dash board camera car dvr black box video recorder + gps logger
32gb memory card

I want to run ride runner on win 7 with backtrack on vmware.

I want to have convention windows and linux operation, with the ride runner frontend.

I haven't picked navi software but I need that.

I also need to figure out and photograph the Harman Kardon amp hookups, because the dynavin just used the fakra cable, but the carpc has to take over all that.

It's be cool to put a roof rack with removable solar panels and storage for a bike genset, but weapons storage and a yakima box for cargo comes first after carpc.

What am I missing from this list?:hmm:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, most of the stuff on my list is from there.

I want to cover all the bases of the dynavin, installing android, backtrack, and any other os in vmware under win 7.

I'm particularly concerned about bluetooth phonebook, calling, tethering? and ipod support.

#5 ·
I have, and I'll use it as soon as ride runner gives out and I need to pay for something to make it work.

In the meantime, I am trying to pick the hardware carefully, so that the current linux kernel and current win update database have every driver except for things like the joycon that it will need.

If any of those guys with te E46 CarPCs out there want to pass down some guidance, I'm reading all your forums, and it would be great.

#6 ·
I have been doing a lot of research regarding this matter and it seems that you can do these things more effectively with either a Windows 7 install and Centrafuse. The front end of Centrafuse will allow you to control a majority of the components you mentioned as long as you stick with their requirements. I would consider installing Centrafuse early because you would not have to muddle through with the other stuff later. It's only $70.00 from their website now. That's really inexpensive and you can install it on 3 machines. If you are able to take pictures of your build please post them.

There are a lot of people that are playing around with the Szenco B046 / B146 Android, Windows CE and they seem to be unhappy with issues like WiFi, 3G, Navigation and most importantly the volume. Some people are happy in fact, there is a company that provides quite extensive support EONON, and they have been around for a period of time as well.
just my thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.