#1 ·
2004 BMW 325i
Looking to replace the brakes and rotors

Should I get Ceramic or Semi-metalic
Also what is a good brand
I am looking at the:

1. Wagner Thermo Quiet Semi metalic/ and ceramics
2. Wagner Quick Stop Semi Metalic/ and ceramic
3. Beck/Arnley Semi Metalic/ or ceramics (Apparently they are the same brand of Zimmerman)
4. Raybestos professional grade semi-metalic

What are your inputs, I am a daily driver. Perhaps someone has some experience with some of these brakes.

#4 ·
last time i installed ebc green stuff brake pads and ebc slotted rotors, i nearly crashed. they overheated drastically (driving very mildly on the street) when the fluid boiled and pedal sank all the way to the floor. This was 10 years ago on my 2002 civic (brand new civic) so i'm not sure if their stuff is better now.

#15 ·
The zimmermann rotors are excellent. Absolutely no complaints. No rusting problem either.

I have reason to believe the OE rotors are actually manufactured by Ate, so what's why I'd probably go Ate next time. I feel they might be cheaper as well by a few dollars.

#18 ·
I run Stoptec Rotors and pads, They work great for the track but they are a bit noisy. If your 100% street use just go stock

#20 · (Edited)
To give you an idea on the dust that comes off my stoptec rotors/pads, My rims where perfectly clean before i went to take that picture, I drove maybe an hour and they looked like that.

#25 ·
Sounds like DMAX did his research. So why do we pick drilled, slotted, ate rotors and what not over oem and good pads? For what I know, I think the idea is to keep the rotors 30-35% cooler for it to help bite/brake quicker and well, avoiding fading. This, and looks as far as I'm concerned. I was considering buying Zimmerman rotors but, I decided to do a little more research before I did. The majority of us here don't track our cars, so what's the point in buying drilled/slotted rotors? I like to take spirited runs here and there and I clearly don't think that justifies the need for the expensive rotors. I'll probably go for either the Brembo blanks and a good set of semi-metallic pads. I remembering reading about the cheap asbestos brake pads causing the most dust (doesn't matter), and wearing out very quick, but provide decent braking over ceramics; now ceramics brake pads typically last longer than even the rotors themselves and most of the time warp the rotors. Oh and, the brake pads fade badly. Any of you ever notice the warped or worn out slotted rotors on Benz or high end luxury cars ? They use ceramic brake pads. Due to this, I stay the heck away from them. Good luck to you guys.

#26 ·
I've read a lot about brakes and concluded that no one I'd read a post from with some other pad ever said it was better than OE. I've read many 'almost as good as OE with less dusting' and then I stop reading them!

If you drive in the rain and snow, heat and cold, rarely track, but like your car to stop...it's a bmw. Hmmm? What kind of brakes should a bmw have? Textar and blanks (I think I got Balo)...after 60K miles on a complete 4 corners (pads and rotors), I only needed to replace my front pads. I'm still here, and I didn't hit those deer that ran in front of me...though I did get rear ended by an Asian woman in a minivan 3 secs. after I stopped!

If you use OE brakes, make sure you remember how close cars are behind you...the brakes might be too good to use in some circumstances!

I'll tap my brake pedal a few times if I see traffic slowing in front of me...since I have a manual, many don't realize that cars can slow without using the brakes...so I give those behind me a little heads up.

Drive safely folks!

#27 ·
Carbotech, Axxis, or Hawk pads work really well. They have great response, & bite harder than stock. They will be noisy, but they'll keep your wheels clean. I normally get stock rotors, have the hats painted black, & install some StopTech braided brake lines. Then any of the pads I mentioned, is an inexpensive way to upgrade. If money isn't a problem, then a big brake upgrade is the best. It's the thing I miss the most from my Subaru.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.