E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#219 · (Edited)
# ERRORS IN UNITS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unit BMWTNR HW SW-FSW ERRORS / SHADOW-MEMORY
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DME -> 7.511.570 19 53 1 error / 6 errors
EGS -> 7.514.265 2H 12 no errors
EWS -> 6.905.670 03 08 no errors
ABS* -> 6.750.364 04 0.0.0 5 errors
LEW -> 6.750.126 04 03 no errors
A/C -> 6.914.009 24 06 2 errors
SRS -> 6.912.123 10 30 no errors
IKE -> 6.910.264 10 21 2 errors
LCM -> 6.907.951 10 20 2 errors / 4 errors
ZKE -> 6.907.663 11 16 no errors / no errors
MFL -> 0.000.000 01 09 no data
RAD -> 6.909.882 32 11 no errors
SZM -> 6.914.733 02 03 no errors / no errors
SHD -> 6.910.471 05 27 no errors
SPMFT -> 6.913.364 02 02 no errors / 1 error
SPMBT -> 6.913.364 02 02 no errors / 1 error

SMF -> 8.263.135 07 0B no errors

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)

DME -> E4/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
Shadow-memory:

- E4/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
- 5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
- 5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
- 5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
- 5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
- 34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

ABS* -> 5DA0/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front right electrical faulty.
- 5E43/C0 - Steering angle sensor internal.
- 5DA3/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison.
- 5D93/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v_comparison.
- 5DF4/40 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.

A/C -> 1C/44 - AUC sensor
- 1E/42 - AUC heating

IKE -> 11/44 - Thermal oil-level sensor
- D7/81 - Tank sensor 2

LCM -> 16/01 - Turn lights switch / wire, short circuit to ground
17/01 - High beam / headlight flasher switch, short circuit to ground
Shadow-memory:
- 33/01 - Sidelight, front right
- 38/01 - Sidelight, front left
- 3C/01 - Licence plate light
- 3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty

SPMFT -> Shadow-memory:
- 02/02 - Low voltage mirror-heating

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:

# SCAN END

#220 ·
now this is the after i cleared the errors.

# ERRORS IN UNITS
Unit BMWTNR HW SW-FSW ERRORS / SHADOW-MEMORY
DME -> 7.511.570 19 53 no errors / 4 errors
EGS -> 7.514.265 2H 12 no errors
EWS -> 6.905.670 03 08 no errors
ABS* -> 6.750.364 04 0.0.0 5 errors
LEW -> 6.750.126 04 03 no errors
A/C -> 6.914.009 24 06 2 errors
SRS -> 6.912.123 10 30 no errors
IKE -> 6.910.264 10 21 1 error
LCM -> 6.907.951 10 20 no errors / 3 errors
ZKE -> 6.907.663 11 16 no errors / no errors
MFL -> 0.000.000 01 09 no data
RAD -> 6.909.882 32 11 no errors
SZM -> 6.914.733 02 03 no errors / no errors
SHD -> 6.910.471 05 27 no errors
SPMFT -> 6.913.364 02 02 no errors / 1 error
SPMBT -> 6.913.364 02 02 no errors / 1 error

SMF -> 8.263.135 07 0B no errors

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
DME -> Shadow-memory:
5C/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative

ABS* ->
5DA0/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front right electrical faulty.
5E43/C0 - Steering angle sensor internal.
5DA3/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison.
5D93/C0 - Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v_comparison.
5DF4/40 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.

A/C ->
- 1C/44 - AUC sensor
- 1E/42 - AUC heating

IKE ->
- 11/44 - Thermal oil-level sensor

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
- 33/01 - Sidelight, front right
- 38/01 - Sidelight, front left
- 3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty

SPMFT -> Shadow-memory:

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:

# SCAN END

#222 ·
well the only thing I would really wanna do is re-program my DME since I had an O2 sensor code pop up and have herd sometimes its just the DME.

But either way the cable didnt work so I just might send it back and and buy the stuff from Xcar. Idk yet

#225 ·
Well its not that I want to reflash to a Euro tune. Im know for a fact I dont have enough info on it. I have just read that the DME is very sensitive and that even though a SES light comes on and its saying something about ur O2 sensors, that it may not bee them and that you DME may just need a newer program. But I havent had any problems lately so Im just going to send the ECS cable back and I orderd the Xcar package last night so Ill wait for that to come in. plug it up and see if Ill have to open it up to combine some pins. Was hoping to be able to mess around with it this weekend hey owells.
Thanks for all the help guys I really apprecaite it. hopefully the new stuff wont give me this much hassle lol

#228 ·
OP, I am getting the same DME errors on the O2 sensors and ABS wheel sensors.

I checked the 30amp fuse int he e-fusebox for the O2 sensors. The fuses are fine, but those shadow errors are still there. You might want to check the fuse there to eliminate the blown fuse probability.

Please update if you find any solutions to it.

Mine works with the auto lock on 14km/hr(if I remember correctly)
Try setting it a little higher than 4km/hr

#229 ·
do you have a factory alarm installed? I just got one a few months ago and then my auto lock went away?

Im just trying to see if there is anything that i maybe not checking off that needs to be checked off under the "Automatic locking".

Right now i have it set to

"Automatic locking"
- After starting (lock)

Locking condition
- 8km/h

But nothing is happening.:banghead:

#230 ·
No I do not have factory alarm installed, but I coded my car for the factory alarm to get the clown nose blink and the lock/unlock blinks.
I know if I add a siren or a piezo buzzer, it will make noise just haven't done it yet.

Since you say that the lock feature went away after installing the alarm, it might be creating an issue.
Try disabling the alarm remote/key all and set the auto lock after certain speed only and see if it works.
You will narrow down the issue and then we can see further.

#231 · (Edited)
True, i just dont want to disable the alarm and it not work again. I need to find the screen that had an alarm code? If there is one there, do i need that to reactivate? I saw the screen somewhere while just going thru the program.

I guess i'll findout this weekend but thats a good idea.

Can anyone chime in and lets us know if you have a factory alarm and your auto locks work as well?

#234 ·
Ah! Thanks! :thumbsup:

But why does yours say ZKE5 and the one i have is ZKE3?

Also, you have under "Automatic Locking" you have all (5) checked? Is that for the key memory function?

Again, tomorrow i will get into this alot deeper with screen shots to compare so we and everyone that has this can come with a easier DIY with this program and its features.

#233 ·
In order to get auto door locks working, you need to have the Keys enabled under Automatic Locking I believe??

As for Terminal R, I am just guessing, but I would assume this means Reverse detection??

Any yes, I have a factory alarm in multiple cars and Auto Lock works when configured properly. Also you can get Auto Locking without the Alarm installed or enabled.

#260 ·
The terminal R definitely means that the doors will lock then the gear selector is put in reverse. On my car the doors will lock at different speeds depending on what speed I select in the programming. 24km is not the only setting that worked for me.

If you arm the car while sitting in it.....it takes about 2 minutes for the alarm to activate (clown nose blinking). If you have the factory motion sensor and you move, it will set the alarm off after aproximately 2 minutes. I added all the pieces of the alarm (siren/module, interior motion sensor, and incline sensor) myself and coded them to work with this scanner and PA Soft.

#236 ·
Dude, your adapter is not compatible with Pasoft. There is no FTD chip in it. You need to get the adapter specifically for Pasoft BMW Scanner 1.4. Pasoft require special interpreter chip in the adapter to communicate with the car modules.

#241 · (Edited)
it will activate double flash

windows 7 will work but it need to be 32 bit and not 64 bit.

pa soft will read codes and let you erase them from any module including the dme. it does require a special box to run it. i got mine from obd2b for $68 shipped and it worked fine...no reconfiguring. Unfortunately there is no owners manual and if anyone knows the software well...they have not posted much info on it. Its really good software and does a lot of things. So far i know it will control zke body functions and recode modules....(i do not know hot to recode a module yet with it) my abs needs to be recoded and its the only one it will not recode

if you do a dual boot...make sure you have everything backed up and software to bring your computer back if you mess it up. I ended up doing it wrong and downloaded xp over windows 7 wiping out everything. i did have recovery software and it was fine and i was backed up. Most lap tops and all of them after 2007 have a place where the recovery disk is on a partition in the laptop and easy to get to....do a search on it and it is very simple. you can get your computers recovery software from there and burn it to a disk or buy it for around $30. Every time we mess with something like a dual boot we can mess it up if we are not experienced...but thats how you get experienced...through research or failure.

this will work on windows xp
windows vista 32bit
windows 7 32 bit

with 64 bit you run a dual boot
or use something like vmware (a virtual machine) which allows you to run a different OS withing your current OS. All the gt1 stuff ive seen done uses vmware

it wont give you updated software for your dme though. I dont know what will

If someone knows.....by all means post it

if you find something cool about pa soft....start a thread on it....its about time we make a manual on what it will and will not do.....specifically....and user friendly....without 8 hours worth of reading

#252 · (Edited)
So another thing that was interesting to me was under "Information about car and ZCS/FA coding". If you look at the options that you have on your car, again i dont have the correct screen shot of my software but as an example here is this one from a previous post. Im not sure, but it may be the software verison on your car. If you scroll down in the options field it said something like version "Australia". Just want to confirm what others have.

Reason for this is, about 6months ago i took my car to an indy shop "which i would never do again" to activate my alarm. Ofcourse they screwed something things up like my autolock, etc.... But i did notice that my car just didnt run the same. Now that im thinking about it i wonder if they used/upload this version of software. This is a entire other thread on this shop in the westside, but let me just say one they washed my car as part of their service but in the process scratched my entire driver side door with something ruff and when i called them out about it, they said that was there already! I was like WTF! He also tried to charge me $190 for activation at the end and a so called software upgrade. Which at first he quoted me $110. At the end, the guy ignored me and walked away, so i was like cool f you then B*tch! so i drove off and never paid his ass.

Again, not to jump off topic but i'll post this on the "Indy Shop thread" here with a warning.

MBZ BMW SERVICE INSPECTION REPAIR - AKA "Autotech"
3817 Sepulveda Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90230

this is the jerk off!

http://youtu.be/NVYG1X0pHrA

Attachments

#268 ·
I haven't even gotten an email saying its shipped...and I ordered 10 days ago. They also charged my card then too.

Sent from my N860 using Bimmer App
How do you get this to work with windows 7 64bit? I'ved had the software for over a month and I still can't firgure out how to install it.
Xcar isn't the best at responding but if you send their support an email you will get a response. I ordered mine about 20 days ago now and when I asked about it they said they were back ordered. Mine just shipped as of yesterday.

As far as a win 7 x64 install I will be doing this as soon as it comes in and from what I can tell from previous posts theyre using a serial->usb chip and we should be able to find appropriate drivers from the chip's manufacturer. I will definitely update after I get mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.