E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Is this bad??

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dafoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, the last few times I started up my car I've been smelling something... exhaust fumes? gas? I don't really know, but it's very strong. Today I pulled the car out and looked at the ground where it was parked (picture attached) and it seems like there's a lot of leakage since the last time I moved the car which was 2 days before this. Any idea what this is and how bad it is? Is it safe to continue driving for now?

Thanks!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Only you can determine what it is. It could be oil, coolant, water, or gasoline. You need to touch it when it is fresh and smell it. Also, there is a big difference between the smell of exhaust fumes and the smell of raw gasoline. Either way, it is a serious deal, and merely begs the question of which way you prefer to die; asphyxiation or burns. You should get your car on a lift and examine the fuel lines and the exhaust system.

#3 ·
It doesn't smell like raw gasoline. It must be exhaust fumes, just way worse than what's normal.
I also smelled the liquid on the ground and it didn't have any distinct smell to it.

Guess I need to find a lift and have someone look at it.
Thank you

#4 ·
Check the crankcase ventilation piping, it could be oil/water blow off if the connection on the bottom of the intake plenum is disconnected.

I had that smell when the oil catch can I was using was hooked up wrong, the stuff smells TERRIBLE! Oil/Gas nastiness...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.