E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
mmad10

My Ride: E46 M3
Sunroof Problem - Please Help

Looking for some help. My e46 M3 has a mind of its own. My sunroof opens by itself when it wants. I have already replaced both door actuators and the sunroof switch and eliminated the GM5. All door locks and windows work perfectly. I have no idea what is going on with this. Any info is greatly appreciated.

The most common occurrence is while driving the roof opens ever so slightly and I can hear it so I close it. This will happen several times then it will start to open all the way but in 2-3 inch intervals sliding open. I close it every time and it just does it again. It seems that if I open it all the way and wait a few then close it it stays shut longer. This is always while the key is on....it never opens while off....yet.

Today as I was pulling in the garage it started opening all the way and the switch would not close it at all...it seemed dead. I let it sit for 30 min and turned key on and it did close. Another weird thing is that when I was pulling in the garage with the sunroof problem the car started "missing" ever so slightly which I have never heard before. After I went back out after 30 min this was cleared up as well.

I have no idea what to do from here. Thanks for all input.
mmad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Sunroof Problem - Please Help

I have no idea why that would happen, but, you can pull fuse 46 to disable the sunroof motor. Did you replace the sun roof control module and check for chaffed wires in the area of the sunroof control module and motor.

Last edited by scottjoh; 03-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
crawsc

My Ride: BMW330xi
I was having same problem with all windows opening EVERY time I got in the car including the sun roof. Not ideal in inclement weather also drained my battery. Could be general module or problem with door locking mechanism. I sat in my car followed advise of someone on this site, to put key in the ignition turn to on position WITHOUT starting the car, press door lock switch 3 times, press lock and unlock button on key fab then remove the key. This solved my problem the windows and sun roof no longer open when I open car door. Good luck hope this helps. 2004 BMW 330xi

Last edited by crawsc; 03-20-2017 at 11:04 PM.
crawsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 AM   #4
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
That's just a straight up haunting, man!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
crawsc

MMad 10. Wondered if you tried my advise above. My car today is fully charged, windows no longer open by themselves. My key fab and door locks have never worked properly, but pressing the interior door lock up and down 3 times with door closed key in on position but car not started then pressing key fab before removing key from ignition corrected the problem
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Have you tried the sunroof reset procedure?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
crawsc

My interior door lock button and key fab proved to be my problem with sunroof and windows suddenly opening automatically. The problem is now gone. DIdn't need to once I got my door locks to work