E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #41
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMW View Post
Is this what u mean:

green/white wire 13 was broken, repaired that section of wire 13 at the last bend in the top near the windshield (where most people's convertible top harness's break)

Here is the link for that DIY fix:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059
I just noted that my break was in the GREEN wire which may have had a white stripe as well. And yes, it was at the bend point.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 AM   #42
GaryFS

My Ride: 2004 330ci Conv
All2kool - I have used 303 spray on water repellent and a brush on water repellent from West Marine. I prefer the West Marine product, appeared more heavy duty. Brushed two coats on the entire top and finished with a third coat just on the very top part of the top. Water beads up like you wouldn't believe.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Old 03-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #43
325Ci_Cabrio

My Ride: 325Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMe View Post
Do any of you park your convertible outside permanently? I'm looking to bring a convertible into the family, but it will be a 5th car and unlikely to dethrone any of the cars that currently occupy the garage. Do you worry about leaks, wear, etc?
I'd make sure your drains are clean:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...932&highlight=

Also...when you know it's going to rain...make sure you park with the hood downhill!!! If parked nose high on an incline, sometimes the water just can't make it to the drain and will drip a bit into the trunk...Flat/level is no problem!
325Ci_Cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #44
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325Ci_Cabrio View Post
...make sure you park with the hood downhill...
I 2nd that. If you park in a sloped driveway, back the car in. The convertible storage area can retain water in the rear, which can leak into the trunk, the spare tire well and the battery well. And although it is not suppose to leak, it can.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #45
All2kool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryFS View Post
...and a brush on water repellent from West Marine.
Thanks. Somehow I get the feeling that a marine product would work best. I also read on a forum that the new product from Rustoleum is great but can leave a white film.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #46
Hsixpac

My Ride: 2003 325CI vert
Top goes down every time i use the car (Florida) and i just dont leave anything at all in car

My dad always told me to leave a convertible unlocked because a new radio is alot cheaper than a new top so thats what i do and i dont really even put the top up unless im worried about rain.

Just keep the crappy stock radio in there that no theives want and nothing left out and your good.
Hsixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #47
Dirty-330

My Ride: 330ci,325xi,m3c
Mines down every chance I get.
Autoglym has a cleaner/proofer 2 bottle system, I really like it.
Comes with a special sponge, the cleaner lathers thick, and the proofer beads water like glass.

Sent from my LG-D852 using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by Dirty-330; 04-04-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Dirty-330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #48
Desthbyfire

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Every time I drive the car the top is down.
Desthbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #49
vilord

My Ride: '02 325Cic, '07 e91
Mine needs to be cleaned and treated, but I've come to the conclusion after this winter that I'm really tired of being rained on even when the top is up, so once I get my wagon back (e91) the top is going to stay down in the garage.

Last edited by vilord; 04-12-2017 at 10:13 PM.
vilord is offline   Reply With Quote