E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Windshield cowl

11K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Evan@Tischer 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My windshield cowl is really brittle at some points where it is attached to the windshield. While I was washing the car I broke a piece of the cowl about 2 inches and now I can see the end of the glass.

So I was thinking that water now will go into that empty space of the cowl but my question is does this mean that it will leak water inside the car or it's not a problem?

At some forums some post say it doesn't have anything to do with water leaking as long as the winshield is glued properly some others say it does leak inside.

Where I live you can't find a new replacement part other than at the dealership but the prices thare are way too expensive.

#2 ·
It won't leak water into the car. The cowl piece is essentially just a cover (or "fairing," in aviation parlance). My cowl is far more chewed up than yours and I have no problems. Very common issue.

It's about US$50 for a new piece here in the States.

#5 ·
I thought I found a thread a while back where someone came up with a cheap alternate solution. Here in the US, replacement simply makes the most sense, but in your case, there may be another solution that would work.

#6 ·
it doesn't seal the windshield from leaking. as mentioned it's a trim cover.

not sure if this is an option. but i always wondered if somone were to vinyl wrap this if it would look ok? :dunno:

#9 ·
I just picked up a '90 Toyota Celica as a fix-up project. The clearcoat has bubbled and peeled in many places, rubber window moulding on rear glass is hard and brittle. Amazingly, the window cowl is in excellent condition. Just amazes me when I compare that to my E46, how each car has parts that have fared well over the years, and other parts that just fell to pieces.

#10 ·
I'd just replace it. It's not too difficult or time consuming. Here are my notes from the last one I did.

BMW part number:

Realoem diagram:
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Parts sources:
BMW Windshield Cowl Cover - FCPEuro.com - 51718232894
BMW Windshield Cowl Cover - GetBMWParts.com - 51718232894

Guides:
DIY: Replacing the windshield cowl
DIY: Replacing lower windshield cover/cowl
DIY: Windshield Cowl Hints/Tips

You'll need a small gear puller like this one.

#11 · (Edited)
Just replace it...I bought a new OEM one for ~$60 shipped

and I didn't need the gear puller.

#14 ·
Mine wiggled right off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.