E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Subframe bushing comparison Meyle HD vs Lemforder

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  WDE46 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Bimmers:

I am recently doing some rebuild work of my E46 rear subframe. As you all know, there are four subframe-to-chassis bushings. I use Meyle HD and Lemforder bushings to replace the factory bushings. I know some of you may not like Meyle brand. Normally I won't either. But I would still give "HD" parts a chance since I use those HD parts in other places and they works good.

The two rear bushings I use are Lemforder, they are almost 100% identical as OE.

The two front ones are Meyle HD. I found something interesting:

The line of two triangle marker is not perpendicular to the long axle of oval hole. The marker is not in the middle of the edge.

While in Lemforder/OE parts:

and also Febi parts

The trangle marks is in the middle of the edge. The line of markers is perpendicular to the long axle.

I decide to follow the Meyle's guide. I use Meyle's triangle as the marker to position the bushing. I did this job by using a special tool:

This is how it looks after installation, The oval slightly rotate an angle comparing to OE:

I would put this subframe on someday and see if there is any difference.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just put my new subframe with Meyle HD bushings in the front two and the rear diff position. It rides just fine. I think I found that my arrows top and bottom on the bushing didn't quite match. So I chose to use the arrows that most closely aligned to that slot you're talking about. I have some comparison photos on my phone that I can post. I'm also going to post a guide on the tools for pulling and installing the bushings.

I also recommend you buy https://amzn.com/B008AYUQVG

It really helps the install go smoothly.

#6 ·
oh interesting, so both you guys had same type of bushings marked like this. I initially thought they pressed the rubber askew to the metal center. but unless it's a whole bad run of parts it sounds like they want it like this. putting the rubber lip in a certain angle to miss those weld tacks on floor or for the reason it rocks back and forth and this force directed better on lips?.

look forward to see when you mount where it touches exactly now.

#9 · (Edited)
I already mounted the subframe and didn't get pics. Here are my pics of the old bushing from my used subframe and the Meyle HD bushing.

The top and the bottom arrows on the Meyle don't match up. IIRC I installed based on the side that was best aligned perpendicular to that slot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.