E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help with codes p0010, p0011, p0012

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Nyght 
#1 · (Edited)
My check engine light goes on intermittently. The check engine line comes on when I turn my car on, or drive for 100 miles to 1000 miles..its random. The codes I usually are these three codes p0010, p0011, and p0012. I get a mix of these codes when my engine light comes on. I have gotten a pending p0340 but never a full blown code I believe the first 3 codes caused it to become pending somehow. From the research I've done these codes are related to intake/exhaust camshaft sensors, vanos solenoid pack. Just not sure whats causing the engine light to come on because my car is running good no rough idle, no loss of power, no engine rattle, nothing that would make me think somethings wrong with the car. I'm thinking of changing out the exhaust camshaft sensor first to see if that fixes the check engine light. Knowing that if I had a bad intake camshaft sensor or bad solenoid pack it would cause those problems I stated earlier but since I'm not getting those I look into those last. Do you think this is a good idea before i pull the trigger on buying an exhaust camshaft sensor.

#6 ·
You can get a rebuilt and improved solenoid pack (reinforced solder points) for ~$150 when you return your old unit... if it comes to that (better than needing a new VANOS... believe me).
The site explains the problem and their rebuild solution. The intermittent nature of the codes is symptomatic of loose solder points. I personally think a $150 repair is good news.
I have the old solenoid pack from my VANOS replacement, btw.

#9 ·
These are the codes my mechanic found when I had a similar problem a year ago: P0012, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306.

Work Performed; removed and opened vanos control module and found "broken solder joints" on three (3) pins. Resoldered circuit board and resealed control module. No problems since then.

#10 ·
I have experience buying a rebuilt vanos solenoid from Beisan systems ( i think thats the name) I installed it in July 2012 and my M3 has been pulling hard since!! I do have a tune, Catless headers which does make a difference. I am head to head with E90 335i with a JB4 tune on low boost... 11 psi?. That should give you an idea on how I pull now.

Feel free to ask questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.