E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Heading to the dragstrip tonight any tips?

6K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  PEI330Ci 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm heading to a dynojet to do a few pulls and then drag strip tonight, any tips guys? What rpms should I launch at (6spd manual tranny) I have a massive sub setup in my trunk, should I pull it out or keep it in? Seems like it holds me to the grown quite well, also do I lower the psi in my tires? Sorry for the noob questions this will be my First time heading to a drag strip :excited: I will be on street tires, should I heat them up right before I go down the strip? Thanks!

#2 ·
In for advice about the sub setup, I know weight reduction is always good but I wonder if with e46 traction issues with fr that it might end up helping... Good luck op, tire pressure will probably be lowered depending on what tires you're running but it will take some experimenting to get it right. Try dropping 2 psi in the rears per run launch rpm constant and see where that gets you. Also make sure to max out pressure in the fronts for less rolling resistance.

#4 ·
Hey ya I wonder about the traction with or without sub, I think it will help but will see I'm going to try with and without the sub box...thx for the suggestions!

Haha thx PEI you always know how to cheer someone up :thumbsup: Ill keep you guys updated when I get back from the strip, should be lots of fun!
Forget about going fast. You are there to have fun, don't let you expectations over ET and MPH ruin the experience.

Just focus on making as many passes as possible...the rest you'll be able to figure out pretty easily once you get more comfortable. You will be nervous, and that will affect your "performance" more than optimizing launch RPM, tire pressures, or shift points.

I've made hundreds of passes down the drag strip, and I still mess up.....

#3 ·
Forget about going fast. You are there to have fun, don't let you expectations over ET and MPH ruin the experience.

Just focus on making as many passes as possible...the rest you'll be able to figure out pretty easily once you get more comfortable. You will be nervous, and that will affect your "performance" more than optimizing launch RPM, tire pressures, or shift points.

I've made hundreds of passes down the drag strip, and I still mess up.....

#5 ·
any tips guys?
Keep in mind that drag racing breaks stuff. If your car is a daily driver and you rely upon it to get to work etc.. you need to be prepared in case you break something.

I've got years of drag racing experience and no matter how well you build your car, or what level of power it puts down.. **** will break.

If you are unsure how to launch your car, you increase that potential 10 fold.

I hate to be the bummer.. but you should consider this before going to the track.

#7 ·
leave the sub box in there...a few extra pounds won't do you any good your first time out there.

1. don't heat up street tires
2. don't roll thru the water unless u plan on spinning 1/2 way down the track
3. don't fck with your tire pressure, you're not on slicks
4. don't launch at too high of an rpm or you'll spin
5. Don't miss shifts...that's just a waste of a run
6. get as many runs as possible while adjusting to your prev short comings

last but not least, have fun and don't over diagnose your times. Find the right launch point, watch the tree, and improve your times run by run.

#8 · (Edited)
Lol that's common sense, this car is not my
DD, I dont plan on breaking anything as I'm not there to set any records so ill be doing somewhat "mild" launches, my car was built earlier this summer from
Ground up, every bushing and every suspension component was replaced as my car underwent the s54 swap+stg 2 HPF but like
U said stuff breaks no matter how well you have prepared the car, that's why i won't be launching hard and just have some fun as I can't on the street obviously! Thanks for the input though, to bad I don't have a trailer or I would strap it to my parents x3 and then I would launch as hard as I want :rofl: but I need to drive the car home in one piece lol

P.s what do you mean by 10 fold? I'm assuming go up by 1000 rpm?

#10 ·
I dont plan on breaking anything....

P.s what do you mean by 10 fold? I'm assuming go up by 1000 rpm?
None of us "plan" on breaking anything when we go to the track, but you should have a plan in case you do.

In regards to "10 fold", the point I was making is if you are asking on an internet forum how to launch your car it would be safe to assume you have limited experience at a drag strip.

A drag strip is NOT the same as the street. Many tracks put VHT and other compounds on the track surface to make them "sticky". An improper launch can easily break axles. An inexperienced driver can cook a clutch.

There is a humorous video about this very topic that has circulated on numerous forums for a few years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEkUV7torQ

#11 ·
Drive around the water box, and then do a quick burnout to get all the crap off your tires. You don't need to heat street tires, but it is nice to have all the junk off them. Don't run your ac because you will leak condensation on the track. In your car, the most fun will really be the back half, so just get a clean launch and enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Like M5chas said, don't do a real burnout, just spin them a little to clean any debris off of the tires. Also definitely avoid the water box when staging.

I think lowering PSI in the rear tires does make a difference, but it will depend on what profile tire you're running as well. My best ET was done with tons of weight in the trunk and with the tires nearly 10psi below what I run on the street.

#13 ·
Ive been there a few times and I found it better when I kept more than half a tank of gas in and the rear seats in (maybe the condition were just bad that night) Im gonna head out again soon. I also ran better with the sport button on because I guess normally I didnt give it enough gas off the line and the sport button helped me there. Dont launch too high cause you dont wanna break something plus youre not gonna get traction anyways at full throttle in 1st or 2nd on street tires. GL :thumbsup:

#15 · (Edited)
on the last yellow light hit it you might red light the first time but if you time it just right youll be out of the whole faster. time that 60' and its that 1/4 sec in a race that could determine a win or a loss.

If your concerned about weight pull a seat/sub, clean the car, if its traction drop some pressure and focus on consistancy. think bracket racing not heads up. the better you get in bracket the better youll be at heads up. Also go around the water box.

and always just go have fun. and if you break anything so what thats all in the sport of racing. its a plus to upgrade.

#20 ·
I'll be going the track next Friday no point in going for less than a hour, the traffic was crazy last night as it's thanks giving weekend here, took me 3 hours to get to a dyno appointment that should have taken 45 min to get to... Just picked up my new tires for my new rims but I won't be using this setup until next season 275/35/18 all around : ) going to test fit next week though so I'll post pics up!

#31 · (Edited)
If it's your first time skip the water box, and no burnout, just take off like you were at a traffic light, racing. Don't worry about cutting a good light. You're not really racing yet, reaction time isn't important yet. Learning how to drive the car at the track is. For your first couple of launches, just focus on getting off of the line smoothly. Don't forget to make sure DSC is turned off. Then start to increase the rpm's on your launch. Getting off the line is one of the most important aspects.

You are going to be anywhere from 2-3 seconds slower than your best time of the day when you start.

#39 ·
I tried a LOT of things back in 2006 to get better traction, and not everything you think would work does.

I remember at one point swapping from a 245 street tire, to a 275 "R" compound and spinning more. I also ran the car down to 10kms left in the tank, then filled the tank up and ran identical ETs, but with a slightly slower MPH.

My favorite was buying a jug of VHT traction compound, and applying it directly to my tires. :rofl:

I still have the jug.

Tire pressures did help, but only once I figured out how to let out the clutch slowly on launch, and feed in the power. It's a lot harder than it sounds. Basically, I launched at say 1/4 throttle, then progressed to 1/2 throttle while feeding in the clutch. Once the clutch was all the way out, I'd add a little more throttle while "feeling" the tire spin. Most of the time the peddle would be all the way out and I'd have to shift into 2nd....no chance to add more power. 2nd gear was a little easier.

Eventually I got sick of spinning....and moved to slicks.

2009 I had too much traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.