325XI - 2002-2005
330I - 2002-2005
330XI - 2002-2005

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: AUG 25, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V438000
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TURN SIGNAL
Potential Number of Units Affected: 241,000

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002-2005 325I, 325XI, 330I, AND 330XI VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 1, 2001, THROUGH MARCH 1, 2005. OVER TIME, RESISTANCE IN THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS MAY CAUSE ONE OR MORE REAR LAMP FUNCTIONS (TAIL LIGHT, BRAKE LIGHT, AND/OR TURN-SIGNAL), WITHIN THE VEHICLE'S BODY PANEL, TO STOP WORKING.

Consequence:
INTERMITTENT LIGHT OPERATION REDUCES THE ABILITY TO WARN OTHER MOTORISTS OF THE DRIVER'S INTENTIONS. THIS COULD CAUSE A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.

NHTSA Details - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recall...&summary=true&prod_id=936770&PrintVersion=YES

241,000 cars

The recall is for model years 2002-2005 of the 325i, 325xi, 330i and 330xi cars, the Munich-based company said today in a posting on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website.

Lights including tail, brake and turn signals may only work intermittently on the cars, BMW told the auto-safety regulator. This "reduces the ability to warn other motorists of the driver's intentions" and "could cause a vehicle to crash without warning," the company said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-01/bmw-recalls-241-000-cars-in-u-s-for-rear-light-malfunction-2-.html

Or they could have come to E46Fanatics and used the search function and found the cheap DIY

See less See more
#75 ·
I believe their fix would be a new connector and harness if its melted, or they will probably just do what everyone else is doing and run a ground along with the brown wire to the chassis somewhere. But if you DIY, you know its going to be quality. Anytime the dealership does a free service, no one wants to do it, and the person that ends up doing it wont get paid for it. Therefore, its probably a hack job depending on the technician and his love for cars.

#77 ·
Anytime the dealership does a free service, no one wants to do it, and the person that ends up doing it wont get paid for it. Therefore, its probably a hack job depending on the technician and his love for cars.
You sir, are retarded. All recalls and similar work do pay the techs. Why do you think car companies lose money when they recalls? Because they have to pay the techs for the fix and pay for any parts needed. Might want to check your info before you post crap like that.

#80 ·
I have a coupe & my tails have been acting weird & I have had to replace a burnt out bulb about 2 times a month. But I replaced my tail lights w/ LED, so I'm good.

#82 ·
I was a tech for about 8 years :hi:

And yes, I hated it cause you can get screwed too easily. That is why I work in parts now. But, I would like to know what car company makes a tech do a recall for free? Never seen that at all the numerous different car companies I have worked for.

90% of the dealers I have worked for , the techs didn't make much money (which is why I got out if it), but I'll say most of the BMW techs are making decent money at the dealer I work at now.

Oh and just so everyone knows the recall they put out is ONLY on sedans.

#88 · (Edited)
When I worked at lexus we had to deal with a valve train issue where the springs and shims needed to be replaced. I recall an incident where a customer brought a vehicle back and complained of a rattle on cold start up, ended up the greenhorn mechanic used the recalled part numbers that somehow where still in stock to repair the vehicle. This resulted in a free repair without pay, sadly this happened on other occasions where bandaids were performed and we had to put a guarentee on the repair in our name. It was terrible, and it almost ruined a perfectly good hobby. I fix and rebuild diesel generators and fix logging equipment out in the middle of nowhere, and to be honest...Ive never been happier to work outdoors, except in the winter time...it can be quiet cold and I hate busting my knuckles up when my hands are freezing.

#83 ·
It depends on the dealer/manufacture agreements. Most companies pay their dealers fixed shop reimbursement rates for any recall type work. No real dealer on the planet would absorb that hit. Now, the fixed reimbursement may be even to or below actual time for the scope of work. In this case, quality of work may be questioned where the tech is rushed to not lose money. Been there - done that.

#84 ·
I know it doesnt say any E46 M3s are affected.......

Wonder if they are. Is this for NON LED Tails only?

#92 ·
Do you think they'll be that rough about it? I mean it should only be the assemblies they're concerned about right? Or will they be finding any excuse to not warranty it...

#93 ·
Can you find out what the mechs/dealers will do about already "repaired" vehicles to fix the grounding problem? I did the spade connector repair for the ground to the ground side bar on the lighting housing done on here and am wondering if/what will arise when I bring that into a dealer.

P.S. I'm a tech and our foreman helped with the job, he thought it was a good repair. I'd take the BMW repair if I can, but am confident in what I have now.

P.P.S. I only did the driver's side, passenger still looks fine, would they do only 1 side?

#90 · (Edited)
i'm calling BMW in Canada here to see if they are aware of the recall yet as my tail light situation has got worse.
it went from not recognizing the bulb i had replaced even though it still lit up to all them not lighting up except turn signal :censor:
when originally getting the light out bulb i checked for any melting and did not see or smell any like i did on the driver side when i added the additional ground wire.
will check that today to see if it's finally melted or not.

#91 ·
This is probably a stupid question but is this why you see a lot of e46s where some of the tail light bulbs are dimmer than others? Because of poor grounding?

#97 ·
Mines fix I am not taking my car to the dealer at all. I can not stand them and do not want them touching my car. I swear when I ask them simple questions about the engine or performance type things that they should Know they either say well with only deal with DINAN or We Can Give Any Information on that. Stupid they couldnt even Flash my car to EU2 Software they never even knew they could! Pretty dumb.

#110 · (Edited)
Yeap, I agree Bmw seems to be a little less reliable in these areas as opposed to Japanese cars. I guess my next new purchase will be a Honda Civic Si Mugen RR, or Acura TL since i never heard any issues about them.

Not really, the earlier gen acura TL's are plaqued with automatic transmission issues. The next generation has issues with their power steering.

The si civic is plagued with 3rd gear synchro issues and the transmissions in general, arent very strong considering how much abuse they need to take. The k and F20c series engine on the other hand is amazing, I can honestly say honda makes the more powerful and reliable NA 4cylinder in the world.

BUT, they cant seem to make transmission for ****...there is even a recall with the lastest gen pilots, accords and civics with the automatic transmission. Basically they say if you put your car in D too quickly from R, you can screw up the transmission.

BMW's tend to have a lot of electrical problems, partially because there are many many many more options avaible than your typical honda and toyota. I own a lexus and toyota, and they are very relibale cars....however I have also experienced some electrical gemlins from them as well.

#105 · (Edited)
Thanks guys

Hmmm my 03 330i sedan had this done DIY by me on both sides, after each dimmed. I even got fresh bulbs and suddenly the back os the car brightened up. Does this mean I've voided my warranty :rofl: The cost no object nature of the e46 is clear as each side has six bulbs, whereas you can use only two if you try hard.

The other problem is that I had a problem with the front running lights. The front markers pitted and burnt, after the rears showed problems. I think the increased resistance from the ground may have contributed to this. Once I did the DIY, cleaned all contacts and replaced all bulbs I've not had any problems.

the license plate lite is over engineered stupidity and got me pulled over one night. Luckily I was able to cut the old parts free and use the blue plastic exterior. Stealer quote with labor and painting was in the $500 range. that is one expensive light bulb.

This isnot a recall in Germany because of something else. I was recently over there (320d rental car, 225 kph outside Berlin) and the German "cash for clunkers" did so well there are few "last generation" cars of any maker on the road. You see almost zero e 46 cars....and lots of e 90.

#106 ·
Not Limited to US

I doubt the problem is limited to US cars. My 2004 320i had the problem with false 'bulb out' warnings appearing on the instrument cluster, although the bulbs were fine. Adding the more robust ground wires to the clusters, as detailed in E46fanatics tips cured the problem.

Our car is a European model (sold in Central America). I cannot believe other E46 owners here have not experienced the problem, and now they will not benefit from the recall because only the US is covered.

Took them a long time to fess up to this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.