E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
MorganMckeys

My Ride: 330Cic
My 330Ci won't start: fuel pump, relay and fuse all ok

Ive checked a lot of things trying to get to the problem here but i just dont know what to fix anymore. All i noticed was that there is no power going through to the fuel pump when i put the key on position 2. If i connect the pump directly to the battery it works. Ive swaped relays under the glove box but all the same, nothing works, also i noticed there is no power going to the air flow meter sensor when i turn the key on. I had connected a small wire drawing power from the airflow sensor connector to run the fan, could i have blown something here?

Last edited by MorganMckeys; 01-31-2013 at 12:23 AM.
MorganMckeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
We need a bit more information. I assume this is a crank/no start? Have you been running the fan off of the MAF power source for a while? I don't know why you would do that, I think it gets 5V and you need a consistent reference with no external load for the car to run properly. You probably blew a fuse, have you checked all of the ones associated with engine management?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
MorganMckeys

Well the electric fan was running nonstop cos the electric switch was faulty. My girlfriend wanted to use the car and she knew nothing about temperature gauges in case the fan wasnt connected and the car iddles at stand still. So to prevent damage by overheating the engine i needed a power source that would kick the fan if i run the engine and stop if i cut it. So i disconnected the airflow meter plug and drew power from it to the fan. It worked just fine a coupke of times the same day then suddenly no start, fan doesnt run, when i turn tbe key on i wasnt geeting power to this plug, no power to the fuel pump. Checked fuse in the glove box and it was fine, checked and even swapped relays, they were fine, checked pump by directing power to it, it worked. I know its a fuse/relay/switch somewhere that burnt but which one and where? And the fault code scan returned P0006: fuel shutoff valve: a control circuit low

Last edited by MorganMckeys; 01-31-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMckeys View Post
Well the electric fan was running nonstop cos the electric switch was faulty. My girlfriend wanted to use the car and she knew nothing about temperature gauges in case the fan wasnt connected and the car iddles at stand still. So to prevent damage by overheating the engine i needed a power source that would kick the fan if i run the engine and stop if i cut it. So i disconnected the airflow meter plug and drew power from it to the fan. It worked just fine a coupke of times the same day then suddenly no start, fan doesnt run, when i turn tbe key on i wasnt geeting power to this plug, no power to the fuel pump. Checked fuse in the glove box and it was fine, checked and even swapped relays, they were fine, checked pump by directing power to it, it worked. I know its a fuse/relay/switch somewhere that burnt but which one and where? And the fault code scan returned P0006: fuel shutoff valve: a control circuit low

You are a danger for the health of your own car.
Which wires in the MAF (air flow meter) connector did you connect the fan?
Never mind. Check fuse #3 (20 Ampere fuse) in this link.

http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4284

Last edited by dslboomer; 02-02-2013 at 05:32 AM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
Edgar3498

My Ride: 330CI
Did you chek the fuse inside the engine bay

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Edgar3498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
MorganMckeys

Thanks guys for all pointers, it was the fuse in the engine bay, i had checked them before but wat i didnt realise was that if its blown only one side would show no power while the other shows power available. I re-cchecked them and there it was, blown. I replaced it and my car breathed again!! Woohoo!!

Sent from my LT22i using Bimmer App