E46 Fanatics Forum banner

speeding law...BULL $hit

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  R3IGNman 
#1 ·
good thing that im in california...neways wut do u guys think about this

See less See more
#2 ·
Go thing im in DE, hahaha 20 dollars. Joke, but I got one ticket in DE so far not in the M3, for 57 in a 35, knocked it down to a 44 in a 35, and paid 75 (0 Points)

#5 ·
^^ :werd:
Also, the penalties get raised if you exceed double the speed limit or go 30mph over, which ever one is lower. Many states enact an enhanced penalty for this. And to add to it, more an more states are taking aways licenses for speeds over 100mph. The fines and jail times listed are based on the speed traveled. There is also careless or reckless driving charges that can't be overlooked :read:

#15 · (Edited)
Kolyan2k said:
i think jails are for killers, rapists, robbers, etc. NOT for people that drive without license. one guy i know spent some time in jail for some other BS and he said that half of people were there for "Driving Without License" THIS IS ****ING STUPID !
That is, until one of these unlicensed drivers kills one of your friends or relatives. You'd definitely see it differently if it affected you personally (..for instance, if one of those unlicensed and uninsured drivers were to total your M3). Furthermore, I can almost assure you that "those other people who were in jail for driving without a license" had some other misdemeanor/felony that landed them there. The infraction was just the icing on the cake. Very rarely does speeding land you in jail.

djben said:
Wish I'd fought my previous few tickets, I would have probably won in court for all of them.
Not necessarily.

#16 ·
That chart is pretty misleading.

I've gotten pulled for speeding twice: one 9 over, 2nd one 31 over (96 in a 65)
First one was a $15 ticket, but court costs were $110. It didnt put points on my license or effect my insurance. Second one, I had to pay $350 for a laywer, but it got dropped; again, didn't put points on my license or effect my insurance.

I dont know anyone who has done jail time for their first speeding ticket, that's insane.

#21 ·
that sheet shows maximum penalties for speeding, and it is dependent upon the speed you were travelling and the conditions of the speeding. It's not an absolute chart. It's called maximum sentancing guidlines.

#31 ·
1. I don't know where the artcle is. i've seen it about a year or so ago.
2. I personaly asked question at Department of Transportation why the speed limit is 25 mph at "that" place. and the answer was "i don't know", "it was there 25-35 years ago....." at this particular road a speed limit drops from 35 to 25 all of a sudden...and guess what? the cop is waiting for you. do you really think that they will change the speed limit on such a money making place?

3. You do the crime you do the time. YES. BUT there is common sense which USA does not have. why not make it: one speeding ticket = jail for life? i am sure this will stop people from speeding or maybe even from buying cars. THERE you go ! Safety 100%

4. It's simple. just like little children. You are not supposed to punish if they do something wrong. you teach them. and here in USA by reinforcing the laws ALL they do is get more money, and they really don't give a **** about any citizens.

Why spend money on fixing roads when we can make money on tickets !

#33 · (Edited)
I don't know where to begin with this one...

When you went to the Dept. of Transportation, did you just ask a lady at help desk or an actual analyst or major representative? I'm sure Shirley the information lady may have been helpful, but I doubt she knows anything about the reason why speed limits are the way they are.

By your logic, we have lowered speed limits in neighborhoods out of tradition, and not because you can't stop for that little kid chasing his ball into the street when you're flying through at 50mph. In addition, many speed limits are set to what they are because of traffic flow issues and also for property value purposes. There are other reasons as well.

Also, I think you grossly overestimate where ticket revenue goes and how much they actually make. If you'll notice, the money goes to the county more often than not. The money then goes to various places and helps to fill voids that aren't filled by the taxes you pay (supposing you pay your taxes). Police make no money off fines; at least not directly enough to be of concern. Remember, there are legal fees and such to be covered for the processing of the citation and the the disposition.
Also, how do you go from tickets to jail for life? That's not even a sane comparison to use for demonstations purposes.

Since when are you not supposed to punish little children? If you know you're going to get the old leather belt on the ass if you steal candy, you're not going to steal candy. This one's off-topic, so it'll be dropped here.
Your logic tells us that if people are properly educated, then they will not get in accidents and will be able to drive fast. So what happens when the human element gets added? Bad tires or nails on the road can cause blowouts. Black ice that can't be seen can send people into the ditch. Someone drops a CD and when they lean down to get it off the floor they veer into oncoming traffic. There are people with college degrees that are complete idiots. Education is no guarantee for perfection.

Speed limits are set up for safety if not for anything else but to at least REDUCE accidents. When you get in an accident, you tie up EMS (fire, paramedics, EMTs), Police, Dept. of Transportation road crews, and piss off everybody that gets stuck in the resulting traffic. You're wasting tax dollars and, God forbid you don't have health insurance, you may get free or subsidized medical care to sustain your life. The point is, the $80 you spend on a speeding ticket is much cheaper than the $10,000 it takes to respond to, reconstruct (if necessary), and clean up the accident you might have caused. Crashing into another car at 55mph is far less catastrophic than crashing the exact same way going 90mph. It's simple physics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.