E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 M3 Race Comparisons (Track)

4K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  forzamilan10 
#1 ·
I read another thread on this site just before and it got me thinking.

From people's experience with E46 M3's, what information do you have regarding:

Racing another car make/model (around a track or 1/4 mile)
Beating/Losing another car make/model
Power comparisons with other car make/model
Driving experience compared to other car make/model

Please DO NOT post videos or stories about illegal drag racing on public roads.

This is purely for safe/track races.

Just like to hear and gather some info

#2 · (Edited)
I can start.. I have an E46 M3 Vert (pretty much stock besides a few things and a complete suspension package)

I've raced Golfs and a F355 berlinetta (6 speed) at the track and had success against both cars. I find that the E46 M3 does well against a lot of regular cars/sports cars even though mine is a vert.

1/4 mile time for an E46 M3 vert? What are your experiences?

And what about 335i Vert vs E46 M3 Vert.. how would they stack up against each other on 1/4 and around a track?

#9 ·
997 Porsche Cup, Lambo Gallardo GT3, GT40, 997 GT3 RS, Lotus Cup, Porsche Group N, Ferrari 430, GTR R35, 930 Ruf are the regulars.

The sheer speed of them, the slowest laps about 5 seconds quicker than mine and the fastest a whole 15 to 16 seconds out of a 2.6km track.

#7 ·
Track stuff is a bit hard to measure though as it often comes down to experience and how much you're willing to push your car.

I've been on track with an E92 M3 and was pulling away in the corners then he'd catch up a bit on the straights. But it was a casual day and most of us were out there to have fun not to compete so I'm sure he was just driving at what he was comfortable with.

There was a 1M that was fkn quick, had no chance of holding him so I let him pass. Was pretty impressed with that car!

I have also been on track with a 360 vert that I'd say was pushing similarly to me. I found us to be pretty close. I was unable to use 2nd gear in some slow spots as I was driving around a driveshaft issue (since been replaced). I think 2nd gear would've given me the edge. I'll post videos when I get home.

#10 ·
A lot of exotics have been mentioned already in this thread, I'd like to give the Megane RS Cup 250 a good wrap, those hatches are proper fast, it's scary to believe what kind of lap times it can punch out given it's driveaway price.

#12 ·
I wouldn't have thought so ? considerably less powerful and at the end of the day still FWD, 6.0 -100, about 1400kg, not as much torque, yet probably makes that power a little lower in the RPM which is good.

Still wouldn't think they would have it over the E46 at the track ?

#15 ·
Sorry but so what ? i didn't say anything about a mini and neither did you until now ? are we not talking about the megane ? the figures i stated are for it and i cannot see how a FWD with those figures would be quicker than the e46 M3, although happy to be proven wrong i would be very very surprised if it can just defy physics and go quicker despite all of that.

#16 · (Edited)
Sorry but so what ? i didn't say anything about a mini and neither did you until now ? are we not talking about the megane ? the figures i stated are for it and i cannot see how a FWD with those figures would be quicker than the e46 M3, although happy to be proven wrong i would be very very surprised if it can just defy physics and go quicker despite all of that.
Dwayne is trying to put things into perspective. No one has mentioned a direct comparison between the Meganne and the M3, ergo he has provide a comparison between the M3 and a similar FWD car. If the Mini is 1 second off the pace around The Nürburgring and has less power than the Meganne which is 'arguably much quicker all round than the other fwds' then logic would say the Meganne would be on the pace, if not quicker than the M3 around The Nürburgring.

#21 ·
Awesome on the mods!

I understand what you're saying about 1/4 mile. If i wanted a 1/4 mile car i wouldn't buy an M3, nor would i buy a Ferrari.

I love the total driving experience of the M. I was just curious to know compared to other cars 1/4mile - 0-100km/h stats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.